1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfire miracle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have always had a severe crossfiring problem I shoot right handed and have good vision in my right eye and a fairly bad stigmatism in my left eye and use rx lenses in my shooting glasses,I shot with the left eye closed for several years but always had trouble with left hand target I think because I would open the offending eye when I lost sight of the target.After a fairly long struggle I learned to shoot with both eyes open but with a dot on the offending eye,worked much better especially on left hand targets.I am a mechanic and am pretty hard on lenses from wiping them off with dirty hands and rags and scratching them so the eye doc suggested I just wear a contact lens in my left eye to correct the stigmatism and nothing in the right eye since it really doesn't require much correction,seemed to work good for everyday stuff but I took it out to shoot since my shooting glasses were rx but after loading a few shells the other day I went out to try a handful and had it in so I just shot em without any glasses hence the miracle seven consecutive ink balls with no dot on the offending eye.I knew it had to be a fluke so I went and got a box of shells and put on a pair of yellow safety glasses,24 ink balls and one target that I just didn't get up to.Baffled I went in and took out the contact lens and grabbed a box of shells and my rx glasses and took the dot off to try it,a 14 out of 25 was the result,put the dot back on the glasses 23,put the contact lens back in 23,back to the glasses with no dot 15,I'm still baffles as to why but guess I'll stick with the contact lens and see how it goes.Jerry

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Hope it works out well.

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That is quite a study. Let me see if I've got the details correct:

1. contact lens in left eye only, for an astigmatism but you didn't wear it shooting.

2. rx glasses with a correction for both eyes that you used to wear for shooting, with a dot on the left lens

Then you changed - here is the sequence with results

1. contact lens only with safety glasses (no correction in right eye) - 24/25

2. no contact, rx glasses, no dot - 14/25

3. no contact, rx glasses, dot - 23/25

4. contact lens with safety glasses - 23/25

5. no contact, rx glasses, no dot - 15/25

Looks like you get to pick between the contact lens or the dot. I wonder how well you would do if you wore contacts in both eyes. Thanks for your post.

Joe

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Joe,I figuredI would try it with contacts in both eyes over the weekend and see how it works out,the one observation from the guys who shoot with me is I shoot much faster with the contact in than with the rx glasses and dot.Jerry

5. joe kuhn

Go for it Jerry. It sounds like you've found your solution. That's great news. Now if we just understood why the lens solution is so close to the dot solution. I'm going to my eye doc on Monday and will ask him. He's a rifle shooter.

6. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Joe, Let us know what your optometrist thinks. Thanks, Joe

7. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

The thing with crossfiring (in my opinion) is that it is such a complete and utter bastard, with every sufferers experience, and fix, different. I am having a great run at the moment with a strip of tape on my 'offhand' eye, but later in the day when fatigue is a factor, nothing can help me. Use whatever works, and pray. Cheers-Graham.

8. warren

warren Member

I agree with K1W1 I've tried shooting with one eye closed and a dot and wearing a patch at nite and the mourning of the shoot but nothing seems to help much. When I get tired it's multiplied. I'll go 75 straight and it'll start popping up. At least I know what it is and haven't given up, for me it seems a matter of concentration and getting set to call the target.

warren

9. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Just so you know the XD Solution works for cross firing as well. The only difference compared to cross dominance is that you switch the eye that is turned off from establishing the shotgun - target relationship. Benefit over tape - shoot w/ both eyes open and no eye fatigue.

10. joe kuhn

Jerry, your case is particularly interesting because there appears to be two solutions.

1. Occlusion of the off-gun eye.

2. Vision correction.

And in your case, the vision correction seems to be the better solution.

11. joe kuhn

Went to my eye doctor today and he basically acknowledged that you could occlude the off-gun eye and have it help. And of course corrected vision helps too. He didn't say why both work.

Both my eyes needed a change in prescription and it's only been 10 months since my last eye exam. I'm corrected now to 20-10 or will be in a week and a half.

He also said he could write a prescription with a better correction for the on-gun eye, but he'd prefer to correct both eyes equally first.

Jerry, how did the 2 contact test go?

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.