1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfire Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mayfield, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayfield

mayfield Member

I have given up shooting with two eyes. There must be an solution to eliminate ocassional, sporatic crossfiring. As a long time skeet shooter I used tape because I would crossfire on the low house birds. I shoot right shoulder. I began shooting trap 4 years ago then decided I no longer needed left eye occlusion since there was less angle on trap targets. Off came the tape. I shoot good scores for a while and then "bang" I may have 4 crossfires in a row generally on left hand targets. I have tried The DeVault scope training which helped for a while but I can still not control the crossfires. Last Sunday finally convinved me. I was 49/50 with mostly hard smoke kills then on trap 3 I shoot 20 and trap 4 an 18. Normally when I pull the trigger I know if I have crossfired but can not control myself. I do not like single eye shooting. I do not see the target as well before or after the break. I shot 4 rounds this week with a taped lens and my breaks were not as hard. Do I need to change gun set up for single eye shooting?

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

hmmm....probably not. I have the same problem - my eyes are slightly crossed, so when I mount the gun, I see TWO barrels and TWO targets. I tape my right eye.

I shoot about a 90/10 gun. The thing you might need to do is lower your holdpoint. If you have a high gun, the bird can come out under the barrel and make it hard for you to see it right off - and that can lead to a bad move/ bad break.

I hold about a foot over the lip of the house.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot some targets from station 3 with the machine locked on straight aways using the glasses you altered so you wouldn't cross fire. Now readjust your guns POI until you are smoking the targets like you used to do. Give it a try and see if it helps. HMB

4. mayfield

mayfield Member

Thanks for the input fellows. I will lock the trap and do the post 3 shooting tonight. I have also noticed I conciously see the rib and bead shooting one eyed while I never noticed them as a 2 eye shooter while tracking the bird and firing. I will revist the Kiner DVD.

One post mentioned hold point. For singles I hold on the trap house lid and handicap I hold below the roof. Has anyone tried hypnosis?

Joe, did you take lessons with Kiner?

Jeff shoots a 90/10 gun. That is where I am at using the 13 yard method determination.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Be aware of where you hold and where you look. For me, if I look where I hold, I'm in trouble.

A left dominant-right handed mess, I use lens occlusion on the left eye.

When I forget to lift my eyes away from the house and out in the "zone" after getting the gun set, I virtually always make an ugly move and often miss.

When I look out away from the house with a low gun, my peripheral vision guides me and my gun to the target in a smooth and controlled manner. I have to remind myself sometimes to trust my peripheral vision.

Good luck. Sometimes I think about trying two-eyed again, but haven't mustered the fortitude to try it.

Guy Babin

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I also strive to do what Guy suggested. My gun is never higher than the roof of the trap (lower when shooting handicap) and I try to look over the house a foot or so. I have tape over my left lens and at times will close my left eye.

Pat Ireland

7. Squeal

Squeal Member

What is the "The DeVault scope training method" ?

8. mayfield

mayfield Member

The DeVault scope training method to eliminate/reduce crossfiring I found on his website. CONCEPT- daily take a scoped gun and pratice pointing with both eyes open at an object and concentrate on not seeing the off side of scope or gun with non aiming eye. With some practice you only see the image in the scope with both eyes open.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You can do exactly the same thing with a red dot sight. I've found my crossfiring is completely eliminated for the first 50-75 shots if I've fired a lot of pistol during the week. On weeks were I've shot over 500 pistol shots, I don't have to worry about it at all.

I can also tall you it is not essential to keep both eyes open, at least for me. The essential element is you are training your brain to use your right eye. Since I'm co-dominant (no dominant eye), the effect is only temporary for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting cross fire