1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Registering PITA and ATA Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RED Z06, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Since ATA members can cross register PITA targets can PITA members cross register ATA targets as well?

Thanks,

Pat Maurice

2. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Yes.

Jack

3. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Jack,

Does PITA charge any fee to do this?

Thanks,
    Pat

4. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Yes, there is just the normal daily shooting fee to cross register. I don't think it is PITA that charges but the club.

Mr. Bob Dodd would have more of these answers than I would. As I have never cross-registered any targets.

Jack

5. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Thanks Jack, maybe Mr. Dodd will read this post and offer some information.

Pat

6. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm not Bob Dodd, but I do cross-register all the time, primarily because there are almost no ATA shoots in southern Oregon or northern California. First, the club (or its cashier) must support cross-registration regardless the direction of the cross. If they do, it should be so indicated in the program.

There are exclusive ATA clubs that refuse to cross register. There are exclusive PITA clubs that refuse to cross register. There are clubs that do crosds-register, but add a fee for the folks doing the extra paperwork of filing the appropriate (and usual) forms with the non-host association.

The shooter pays the daily fees of the non-host association as well as the customary state (if any), and national association fees of the host organization. The rules are exclusively those of the host association. For instance if your handicap score would earn yardage at an ATA shoot (host association) but would not have in the PITA (non-host association), you will still earn that yardage in both and your cards will be punched accordingly.

Probably way more than you asked for.

Shoot well,

Mike Mann
    ATA 0734685
    PITA 01630

7. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, I did start to write cross-dress, saw the d and decided to leave it.

Gotta have fun somewhere.

Mike Mann

8. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Pat

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mike Mann the "Mike Man" has covered all I could have said and more. I'll confirm that cross registering is offered or not by the host club and cashier - it's not something you just do cuz you want. The cashier can and may charge a nominal fee for his/her extra paperwork reporting to both associations. You will pay daily fees for both associations but only one charge for the birds in each event. You most certainly can register from A to P and from P to A as the agreement to do so is between the two associations.

Hola Mike!....Bob Dodd

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Cross registering between the two organizations at clubs that will do that is a big step forward for trap shooting.

There should also be an agreement between the two organizations concerning suspensions of members in addition. If suspended by one, the shooter should be suspended by both for registering targets. JMHO

Hap

11. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I wonder what would happen if you didn't cross register your targets and got a punch with PITA. Does that mean that your punch doesn't apply with ATA?

If so, theoretically you could be shooting at different yardages for PITA Vs. ATA?

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks,

Kevin

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are required to shoot the longest yardage from which ever organization. That doesn't mean you have earned yardage. This is independent of whether you cross register or not.

Lets say you mostly shoot ATA and have earned yardage to the 26 yard handicap. You go to a PITA shoot and your PITA earned yardage is 25 yards. You need to declare your ATA handicap and shoot from that distance even if you are not cross registering. Guess what happens if you happen to earn yardage then.

I know this because I handicap for both types of shoots at my club.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Without checking to see if I'm behind times, Bucko, the ATA requires you shoot "your longest yardage" if you shoot in "other" associations. So you could have different yardage on your cards but you are required to declare your longest yardage and show average cards. The PITA has always required you shoot the yardage on the PITA average card or "no less than 1 yard under" if your ATA card is higher. So, sure, you could have different yardage marks on your cards but it's handled in the rules.

There are some devious sorts that might attend a shoot and accidentally forget their "other" average card showing longer yardage. And, I've heard many tales where out of state shooters who frequent 20 PITA shoots for every ATA shoot for various reasons and when presenting their PITA card, it is ignored and belittled by the ATA handicappers even IF the PITA showed much longer yardage. One example of the last point is a friend who was a long time 27 yard PITA shooter, who decided to attend an ATA shoot in a state below the Mason Dixon line and joined the ATA for the first time. The handicapper totally ignored the PITA average card info and wanted my buddy to shoot on the 20 yard line as a beginner.....Bob Dodd

PS; BTW, the buddy left that shoot without participating.

14. Hooked

Hooked Member

Bob,

I have had a similar experience as your friend. I too left the shoot without participating because I knew I was mis-handicapped. The rules state that ultimately, the shooter is responsible to know the rules and if I had shot at a lesser yardage, and broken a score, I would have been disqualified.

Brian

15. Hooked

Hooked Member

You have to declare that you are cross registering before you shoot.

Brian

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You don't handle the cross registration with the handicapper. That is taken care of by the cashier. But as mentioned above, you do need to tell the handicapper of your handicap status in the various organizations and that is true whether you want to cross register or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are all pita trapshoots cross registered with ata

cross register pita ata

pita ata cross register

pita registered targets record