1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Firing ????????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by royboy, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royboy

royboy Member

If you are repeatedly missing hard rights, even though you feel like you are right on the bird,is this what is called cross firing?????

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Close you off eye and see if you can hit them.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am right handed and my left eye is dominate. For me, I would be most likely to cross fire on a left targets. Last week I put on a larger piece of tape on my left lens.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat there is a good chance you are wrong. When you shoot hard lefts your right eye sees the bird clearly and your left eye is blocked by the gun. It is hard to cross fire when your right eye sees the bird first. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- With my style, I hold a little below the roof of the house and my left eye is blocked with tape on my lens. My gun doesn't block anything. Sometimes, on a left angle bird the target just disappears right before I shoot. This is because my left eye is taking over and it looks around the taped area of my lens.

Pat Ireland

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

When you cross fire the shot will go left and a little high.

There is a greater chance of a right hander missing left to right target when shooting with the swing through technique because the "wrong" barrel "touches" the target first.

Having trouble with left to right targets may also be a physical thing. Right handers have a harder time swing to the right than the left. Find some one who can see where you are missing and adjust accordingly.

Jason

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with Pat....my X-firing problems became very noticeable on the left hand targets from stations 1 & 2.

Try to tape off your left eye and if possible watch Phil Kiner's DVD.

Curt

8. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Several years ago before I had figured out what most of the cross fire move misses looked like I had this happen. One student was having trouble with “hard rights from 5”. It was his second clinic (with me) and one thing that he had determined was that he had a AA average in singles from posts 1,2,3 and targets to the left. He had an 89 singles average overall. He was making a “horrible move” on anything right especially on 4 and 5. Finally out of desperation I had him close his left eye to test on post 4 and 5.

Guess what? He broke all 5 on each post. He then “confessed” to me that he had NEVER (until then) broken all 5 on 5 in his entire shooting career.

So although the proper normal accepted method (my attempt at humor) of cross firing is to the left (for righties) it can and does happen the other way. pk

ps
    Curt- thanks for the compliment

9. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I am right handed and only cross fire occasionally, but when I do its on post 5. I cured my problem with the Vari-Brite-Site III from meadow industries. I tried tape and the blade type site blinder to no avail. Try every thing and find what works best for you. Listen to Kiner, he knows what he's talking about, and if you get a chance to attend his clinic do it.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Phil,

Thanks for the affirmation. :)

11. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Phil Kiner ,I have always been a one eyed shooter with cross firing problems. My left eye now has a scar across it and still did give me a problem till last year. I shoot with a two shades darker Lens on my left eye. Light lens on my right. When i close my left eye and when it does open, some what,When my left eye opens I can tell because the sight picture turns dark ,as the left eye lens.AND can close my left eye when this happens. I have not had a problem in a long time. When both eyes are open the two colors mix to one. Now the right eye has become the stronger of the two, with wearing this type of setup. My Ave. is stronger also. I did try the patch, and spot, didn't work for me. You'all one eyed shooters may want to try this. Works for me. Larry

12. Phil Kiner

Larry (illini bird) would you contact me via email so we can arrange to talk. I would love to pick your brain and get some more details. Thanks Phil
    email pkinerATphilkinerDOTCOM

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

Phil here is another thread about cross firing and a couple more people who have tried different colored lenses.

Jim

14. Phil Kiner

Jim checked the thread that is why I want to speak to i bird. I personally have never seen anyone that different color/darker etc worked on so I would like to figure out what is different this time. Phil

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

It just seems reasonable that if your non dominate eye is able to get more light than your dominate eye the non dominate will then take over and become the dominate eye. It's almost the same thing as your doing with the tape except your still able to see the target. Also like your patch it's training the weak eye to be stronger.

Disclaimer: I am not an eye doctor and I don't want anyone to end up like in the movie the Jerk with crosseyes. LOL

Jim

16. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Phil, you have E-mail Thanks Larry

17. Phil Kiner

otnot- What seems reasonable/logical and what really happens (when cross-firing is the problem) may not be the same. I have not a clue as to what flips the electric circuit switch in the brain to make it switch eyes.

I can tell if someone is cross-firing by watching the gun and can show it to them on video replay. When someone is cross-firing and they see it on video there is no doubt as to what is occuring.

The worse the tendency cross fire, the more severe the "cure" has to be. That is why some people are "fixed" with a blinder and some need tape/dot and some need more. I once had a guy that was legally blind in his off eye and the only way to keep him from cross-firing was to use black tape and completely cover the left lens. pk

18. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

I am right eye dominant. The right eye is 20/30 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected. My left is 20/80 uncorrected, a staggering 20/50 corrected.

In desperation over 10 years ago I started patching my left eye with one of the flip-up blinders. I didn't know then what cross-firing was. My average immediately went up 3 birds and never looked back.

The biggest challenge lately is getting used to my blended bifocals. It was bad enough just battling with no depth perception. Dan

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have tried a darker lens over my dominate eye. It changed nothing for me.

Pat Ireland

20. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Pat the dark lens ,is over the non shooting eye. It will be of interest what phil finds himself. It may not work for everyone ,but like I told him, "set up slow" and give the shooting eye time to adjust after the left eye is closed. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.