1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cross firing solution seems to be working

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I had a cross firing problem - my left eye thought it could help out on left handed targets. I didn't always have this problem in my early shooting days. It developed after I hit my 56th birthday. My theory is, as I grew older, my ability to switch back to the other on-gun eye for the shot was lost.

I pushed the barrel down and out of the way so my on-gun eye could see the target all the time. That really helped. With a standard gun, the barrel blocked the view of some targets initially, setting me up for the problem. Plus my left eye has better uncorrected vision. At night, on station one, I once missed three left handed targets in a row and I thought I was done shooting.

After a new prescription, which is due to be checked again, and some major gun changes, I've not noticed the problem at all. Granted this is radical compared to other approaches, but it helped me tremendously. The view down to the top of the trap house is completely clear. I always see the target with both eyes as soon as it emerges.

I was not able to adjust to tape on my lens - I looked around it and still had the problem, and I was unwilling to become a one eyed shooter. My gun is set to shoot dead flat so the action of breaking a target becomes one of convergence. You hold even, look under the circle and run it directly to the target which is where you are looking. It's simple and really fun to shoot.

[​IMG]

My case was very severe. When my 870 receiver cracked I switched back to a regular ribbed gun. It took two weeks, but then my scores dropped like a rock. A month later, with a fixed gun, like above, I went on to break my first hundred straight of the year. Took my gun to a Phil Kiner clinic and he gave me a 75-80% cured rating. This was last year. Been shooting the smoke out of targets ever since. Video link above.

Shot with a guy who was blind in his on gun eye. He had a second bead mounted about an inch and a half to the left of his ribbed bead and shot pretty well except for right handers. I think he needed a second bead up close to his face or a full second rib. Interesting problem.

Joe
  2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

The key point is that the barrel is low and out of the way so the eyes can do what they need to do. The rest of the gun is built around that.

Rather than occlude the eye, this opens things up for a clear view.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.