1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I suspect I MAY have a cross dominance problem. I often miss quarter lefts from post four and five and hard lefts from one. I am a two eyed right handed shooter with 20/20 vision. I don't have nearly the difficulty shooting targets moving to my right. Is there a way to determine if my left eye is taking over on left moving targets? I had this problem "for sure" on post 1 in doubles on the second target. A well-versed shooter told me to favor that target after I just couldn't hit it. Then it became no problem; that shooter figured I was cross firing on that target.

So is there a way to check for this problem in singles and 'caps shooting.

Thanks for any help in advance..

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Permanent cross dominance is easy to determine yourself. There are many methods but the one I believe is most reliable involves using a sheet of paper with a quarter size hole in the center. Hold the paper at arms length at then look at an object 20' or further through the hole. Slowly bring the paper up to your eye without losing sight of the object. You can only do that with one eye, your dominant eye.

A mush more difficult diagnosis is transitory cross dominance. One characteristic of this is losing sight of left hand birds just as you are ready to shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The situation you describe from post 1 is usually not a dominance problem. The eye dominance problem usually occurs when your left eye picks up the target first when it comes out of the trap house. This is more likely to happen on posts 4 & 5. Try shooting some 1/4 lefts from 4 & 5 using one eye and see what happens. HMB

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

hmb, thanks for that idea. There have been times when I felt I could not hit a 1/4 left from 4 or 5 even if I knew it were going to be thrown. I'm glad to hear that this is not a shooting ending problem.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Is cross dominance similar to cross dressing? Check your closet for male and female clothing depending on your preference for the day. If female clothing is selected make sure your shoes match your outfit. Fred

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Fred, I am not a skeet shooter! I've only seen that cross dressing in shooters at some place where the stars go, someplace off Osborn. There is another place that is more basic in that general vicinity where real men and women go; it's macho, you have no road to get there and have to cross a dry wash.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

For me it takes a barrel blinder and a dot on the glasses.I started with the blinder and I noticed immediately that I was seeing two barrels beacause with the blinder on only one barrel had a bead.(I at least new which barrel to use).When I put the dot on the glasses the barrel without the bead went away.Jerry

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Chango: That was quite some shoot at the "dry wash" place this weekend... 75 shooters, some of the best in the state there Sunday. Shoot offs in almost every yardage, ect. To run that many people through 4 traps so smoothly deserves a tip of the hat to shoot management. Most of the men looked like men - ugly! and the women of course were lovely [at least I think they were women]. Fred

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I will second calling Phil Kiner. He is probably the most knowledgeable on this subjuct of anyone here. He helped me.

Rick in Mt.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Fred: Wish I could have attended; too many house chores this weekend.

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

A dominance problem can and often does occur on left angle targets

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Chango: I am not sure that another shooter could have been "squeezed" in. 75 is about all that the samll club can handle before it gets dark. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.