1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

CROSS DOMINANCE SOLUTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunshoot, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

So I had cross dominance problems while clay target shooting. I've tried the patch and closing one eye but both techniques felt unnatural and put strain on my non dominant eye. I researched this issue and I found someone suggested raising the thumb of the non dominant hand while shooting to block out the dominant eye. This worked well but I wasn't consistent with the placement of the thumb and my scores showed it.

As a result I came up with a device that attaches to the shotgun and I don't have to use those ridiculous patches like a pirate. :) If you have the cross dominance problem or if you're not sure read more about this here XD Solution.
  2. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Do you have cross dominance issues?
  3. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

What solutions have you tried?
  4. windyflat

windyflat Member

making sure my master eye wasn't buried behind the rib and the meadow industries blade worked for me
  5. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

I am of the principle that while shooting at moving targets you shouldn't aim, and light devices cause you to focus on the bead of the shotgun and not on the clay target.

So this is how XD Solution is different. You keep both eyes open, the non dominant eye establishes the shotgun - clay target relationship, while focusing on the target and not on the bead of the gun.
  6. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I have cross dominance and shoot with both eyes open. I think this new device will work. I'll order one next week. AJ
  7. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Texshooter glad to hear that. Let me know if you have any questions.
  8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Your efforts are to be applauded. Cross firing is no fun at all. If you had come out with this sooner I would have tried it. Worked up my own solution with a HoloSight from EoTech.

Good luck. I hope you help a lot of shooters solve their cross firing problem.

Joe
  9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

From the OP's web site:<blockquote><I>"You can see both of the shooter's eyes because the device doesn't act like a blinder. As a result, the shooter has a full view of the clay target with both eyes open."</i></blockquote>Therein lies a problem...Phil Kiner will tell you (if you ask him nicely) that seeing the target with the wrong eye is what leads to cross-firing. If the gun shoots where the shooter is looking, the rib and bead shouldn't even be in the equation.

Keller
  10. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Wondering which of the blades you'd order if you had a single barrel break action, the one listed for an OU?
  11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

This issue of Trap Shooting USA has a nice cover shot of Kay Ohye holding his gun which clearly has a sight blinder attached to his barrel, which tells me he has identified something has changed with his vision. I've not seen this device in prior pictures, although I may have overlooked it.

Surfer
  12. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

Kay has shot with a sight blinder for many hers...SMOKIT
  13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

So cross dominance does exist.................

Surfer
  14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

My son is left eye dominant, but right handed when he shoots. It does exist, but don't confuse it with cross-firing. Shooters that are dominant with the eye on the gun can still cross fire with the other eye.

My wife does not have a dominant eye. I don't take her shooting. It's just easier.
  15. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

The Smoking Gun, what is the distance between your trigger guard and top of the barrel? I can help you so that you know which one to buy.

Yes cross dominance does exist. I am predominantly left dominant and right handed.
  16. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Joe, how does your son cope with cross dominance. Have you thought about trying XD Solution?
  17. Mark Kurruk

Mark Kurruk Member

I just ordered one of these devices. Boy, I hope this works. I have had this problem for the past three or four years now and it not fun at all. Shot for many years two eyed and then the cross dominance began.

Mark
  18. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Hey Mark,

Just got your order. Will ship it first thing tomorrow morning. It helps me and I'm sure it will help many others out there with this nasty problem. Looking forward to get your first impressions.
  19. reddbudd

reddbudd Member

I ordered one tonight. Can't wait to give it a try.
    Bud Edwards
  20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

shotgunhoot - my son doesn't shoot. I just tested his dominance and know that he shoots our .22 from the right side.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.