1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Dominance Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mem0x, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mem0x

mem0x TS Member

I'm a right handed, casual (no competitions) trap shooter that has a very dominant left eye. I shoot once per week, 200-300rds, been shooting for about a year and prefer my semi-automatics. I currently shoot one eyed (right eye, right hand) singles and doubles and do pretty well. I was told to switch to my left shoulder so I could shoot with both eyes. Should I bother switching shoulders or is simply getting a sight blinder for the RH semi enough?

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I feel your pain brother. You will get many opinions, Phil Kiner is a great resource.

Options:

gadget on end of barrel

left eye occlusion (close, patch, or poke out)

switch shoulders

If you find something else (that works), please share!

Guy Babin

Crossed-up, but still kickin!

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Deleted

Sorry, I miss-read the thread title....

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I doubt switching shoulders is a cure for cross dom. Actually I don't know there is a cure and in the end some folks are better off as one eye shooters. You said you are doing pretty good as is so what is your motivation to change?

5. mem0x

mem0x TS Member

wolfram: I'm currently shooting 20 average in singles but see the birds too late in doubles. I would like to shoot a solid 22-23 as my squadmates. I was told it's better to switch shoulders early before I built up muscle memory. Been shooting rifles for 5 years before trap so it's a major change for me plus my Beretta a400 semi-auto is RH. I was just wondering if people on here though it was worth it to switch for a casual trap shooter as myself.

6. Adam54

Adam54 Member

I had this problem for years I was a one eyed shooter for a while then switched to two eyes after a while by using the magic dot from browning so I blind my right eye in a certain place and let my dominant left do all the work. I've done this for about ten years and do pretty well with it. So my advice is to change and use that dominant left eye.

7. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

I have the same issue - righthanded but left eye dominant.

I switched to LH shooting about 18 mos. ago and haven't looked back. Scores improved dramatically and both eyes are open for singles and doubles. I tried all of the suggested remedies including closing left eye, using patch, and using rib mounted devices and found none to be satisfactory solutions.

My trap gun has a neutral stock with adjustable comb and Graco adj LOP butt. Once properly adjusted, I see nice "figure 8" sight picture and easily shoot where I am looking - no more canting gun or assuming unatural head angles. Have also accomplished this with PF stocks. Try to borrow a trap gun truly set up for LH use - feels a little funny at first, but after a while it becomes very natural.

Shoot bullseye pistol as well and all handgun shooting is still RH.

8. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I feel your pain. Just started shooting 6 months ago with two eyes, and was right in the mid 20's consistantly. Then one day I mounted the barrel and it kept going back and forth. I thought I was losing my mind for a second. Since then I have tried scotch tape, and black dots. My scores immediately dropped with the scotch tape, however the black dot wasnt quite as bad. I still couldn't get my scores back to where they were so I took the tape off and slammed my left eye shut. My scores slowly started to creep back up while shooting one eyed. Its a little difficult for me because of bad vision to due to an accident involving my right eye. With the help of prescription glasses I am able to see pretty good out of it, and finally feel like i am seeing a good target now. My scores are getting better again, but struggle with consistancy. I will attribute most of that to inexperience, and a very small portion of it still getting used to a new gun.

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I switched to LH when I returned to shooting after a 35yr hiatus. I am 72, right handed/left eye dominant. While it is true that with both eyes open I could see the bird better than I thought possible, I could never (after 18 months of trying) feel comfortable shooting LH. My scores were terrible. And I was developing a variable cross eye dominance. Finally out of frustration and prompted by my Son's suggestion I switched back to RH/one eyed. I am there to stay. I now break birds with confidence and regularly have competive scores. For someone just starting out two eyes open from the dominant eye side is the way to go. For old dogs, like me, it may be better to stick with what you know best. Marc

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Re: "Gadget on end of barrel."

I crossfired badly and had to shoot one eyed. For aerial targets I could not hit the ocean from a rowboat with both eyes.

Someone here many years ago suggested I try a Uni-Dot. This is a fiberoptic sight inside a tube. Your shooting eye sees the bright dot, but your opposite eye does not.

It is important to understand that you never look directly at the bright dot when shooting, or you will miss. You have to concentrate on the target and bring the dot to the target with peripheral vision.

I was having a hard time getting out of the upper teens when shooting with one eye. Some days I'd be in the low 20's, but those were my best days.

Installed a uni-Dot and shot with both eyes open. My scores slumped even more for a bit, but then picked up quickly. In two months (and I definitely don't shoot as much as most of you) I ran my first 25 and 50 straight.

I've installed Uni-Dots on all of my shotguns that have ribs, with the exception of a side-by-side I use for cowboy shoots (that kind of sight is not sanctioned for that sport).

I use the 2mm size. I tried the 3mm and 4mm, but they are really not any brighter, and they put enough light scatter into the larger diameter tube that my left eye was picking up the reflection. So I recommend sticking with the 2mm size for a target and field shotgun. Leave the bigger beads for the tactical shooters.

11. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Try the various options (barrel gizmo, unidot on left eye, patch on left eye, closing left eye) before you try the LH option. What works for one person may or may not work for another person because eye cross dominance varies from person to person. Shooting with both eyes open is preferred & recommended by many but there are many excellent shooters that shoot with only one eye; so it can be done. Good luck with this issue.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ok Memox, I think I got a better picture.

I am a true lefty but have battled the cross dom devil from time to time so I can relate. I'm also a life long two eye shooter and that doens't matter what I shoot - pistols, scoped rifles shotgun all two eyes open.

The first thing is your will to accomplish a change. It really isn't that hard to make a switch but you need to believe that before you start. I forced my eye dominance issue by firing two pistols -one in each hand and alternating left right left right with the corresponding sighting eye playing along. A true amibidexterous guy would have no trouble with this but I had to work at it. This particular skill is best kept to the pistols and not a cure for crossfiring a shotgun. But the point about that is I stuck with it with the attitude that I could do it and my eyes played along.

For you a start would be pratice your gun mount on the left side for about 1/2 hour every day you aren't shooting. Don't try aiming the gun or dry firing it - just get use to the mount. Then hit the range and practice as much as possible shooting left side only - don't knuckle under and switch back. Keep track of your performances on game day and note any trend in improvement.

A couple of other things - first of all your goal shouldn't be to shoot 23's like your pals - it should be to run 25 more often than not. (it's realistic) Second, a right hand autoloader is no problem for a lefty unless the stock has alot of cast off which I doubt. You may notice some flames coming out of the ejection port but don't worry they were always there.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

BMP, Do ye have a "preverted" mind....???

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Advise in this matter is a waist of time. It's way to complicated for a single post. Further more this is actually way more complicated than simple eye dominance what we are dealing with is Cross laterality or incompletly devoloped laterality. It's a process of training the brain to work more efficently and not training thre eyes.

The negativity of some of the responses lead me to this advise. Find a professional to work with! Once you decide who to go to then you must folow their advise with complete trust for at least a few months. If your willing to folow their advise then your shooting will improve I'm sure of it.

Pm mre with your location and I will respond to you with suggestions on who may be able to help you baised on your geographical location.

Joe

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If I had this problem, the person I'd go ask for advice is Brad Dysinger! Brad is left eye dominate and shoots off his right shoulder with both eyes open!! His shooting record speaks for him and speaks volumes!

Hap

16. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Do what ever you can to.catch a Nora Ross clinic.
    She will teach you how to shoot with one eye and you will not take a backseat to anyone!
    John

17. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Gun Fitter gave you excellent advice. This is very personal thing and needs one on one coaching from gun fit on up. It is a brain issue, not eye issue.

Getting good advice (as you shoot!!), dedicated trial and error and data on your results is part of the process. Scores are important, but so is how well you see & track the targets and how you hit the targets, that eventually lead to better scores.

If you are in SE PA area I also can suggest an excellent coach. PM me if you want to)

good luck

js in PA

18. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Trapshooting is not sporting clays. Just close the left eye and break the target. I have tried all the above and do better with just closing the eye. Every now and then a hard left on sta 1 will get the jump on you but everything else is ok. jim w

19. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

If you are truly left eye dominant, and want to shoot with both eyes open, you should switch shoulders. I say that after having shot left handed last weekend in an NRA shotgun instructors course I took (I'm right handed, mostly right eye dominant). It was terribly awkward, but after about the 10th target, I was hitting them pretty regularly. I had to shoot with one eye because that was not my dominant eye (I'm cross dominant but usually my right eye is dominant). Long story short, I learned it is possible to switch shoulders and in the long run will probably help you esp. if you want to shoot two-eyed which is the best way to roll... Jennifer

20. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Two eyed shooting is highly overrated. Those who are able to shoot two eyed simply think they are superior. Kind of like Perazzi owners looking down on Browning owners. My one eye and Browning have smashed a lot of egos.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cast on beretta cross dominance