1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Dominance - Easy Hit Sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Has anyone had good results in solving cross dominance using a Easy Hit type sight?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

As I get older I am having an increasing problem with occasional not consistent crossfiring. I am using the small 2 mm diameter Uni-Dot and I firmly believe that this has bought me additional years of two eyed shooting. When the crossfiring gets bad enough I will have to wear the tape patch on my left lens but for now I think I am getting by.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I own four of the 2.5mm Easy Hit sights, two each color. The 2mm was discontinued at the time, or that's what I would have bought. I think they are the best of the lot.

Along the way I owned three Meadow Industries type III fiber optic sights, a Bob Allen and the Uni Dot. I'm sorry to say they did almost nothing to prevent cross firing. I'll also say they promote aiming. If you still want to try one, Midway has/had them on sale for $9.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If your eyes are on the target, the type of sight you use is irrelevant. Cross-firing is the way the brain processes the peripheral image of the barrel in the sub conscious mind. The way to correct it is to prevent the brain from processing the image you don't want it to use. The way to do that is to prevent it from receiving it in the first place.

MK

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Like zzt, I use the Easy Hit sights on my trap guns. I find them exceptionally useful. Although I do not conciously "see" the beads when shooting, I have no doubt that subconsciously, they help in aligning with the target, and my shooting improved with their use in the deliberate type of shooting in trap. Less useful in quick sports like skeet though. I think they would definitely help with eye dominance issues as well.

Jim R

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If Unknown one is a bit obtuse, he means Occlude your non bbl eye

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With a little eye exercise you can get rid of your cross dominance problem. Get on station 3 and set the trap machine on straight aways. Shoot the first bird with your left eye closed (right hand shooter). Shoot the second bird with both eyes open. Switch back and forth for the first 20 birds, the last 5 birds shoot with both eyes open. Use this exercise as often as needed to eliminate your cross shooting problem. HMB

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I don't have eye dominance in either eye, unfortunately, so I use a 2mm unidot to keep things simple. Only my gun-side eye can see the dot. But just to make sure, I took a black marker and marked out the left side of the green rod so my left eye absolutely CAN'T see it. I've used it for 5-6 years at least and depend on it. The Meadows Industries sight is also a good one too, but keep the diameter small or they'll be too distracting. I tried the larger 3mm Easy Hit on a friend's 1100 and didn't like it at all - it was way too big and obnoxious.

I'm one of those weird shooters who absolutely DEPENDS on having the eye near the bead, rather than looking directly at the target. I was shooting from the 27 the other day, just horribly, 1s and 2s on each station. Once I realized my eye was leaving the gun and fixed the problem, I was back to shooting 5s again as long as my eye didn't stray.

I didn't have the same experience as zzt as far as aiming. I'm one of the fastest pointing shooters at my club, often breaking targets half the distance from the trap of most of the other shooters (not that the score is that great, lol). But each gimmick we use helps each of us in different ways. I guess I could see if you got fixated with the sight you could slow down your swing.

Another reason to have the sight is that if you lift your head, you'll immediately know it because the dot disappears. If you've done it right, the sight should be visible the whole way through the shot and afterwards until you dismount the gun.

Try anything in the 2mm range and you should be good to go.

Jennifer

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

hmb, that works for about 25 targets, then it's back to normal.

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm right-handed, left eye dominate so I've been shooting lefty for the last 25 years. The other week my wife and I were shooting skeet, and I was having a booger of a time on high house 4 and 5. They should be a piece of cake for a left handed shooter. Just for grins, I shot a couple of targets right handed...presto...targets turned to smoke. I then shot them left handed with my right eye closed. Again, whacked them good.

Is my right eye trying to regain dominance? Am I destined to be a one eyed shooter? I have some magic dots...I'm going to give them a try on my right lens tomorrow.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A note to Jennifer.

I do the ssame. I afix to the rib/bead with my dominant eye briefly, allow my gaze to drift out to the emerge zone and call fo rthe target. Usually that works fine at long handicap. But I keep the front bead in the roof at the front roof-line. Nothing works for singles. My crossfire is so active at singles that many of the targets disappear. The larger gun movement is the problem. Too, when my non-dominant eye is the last man standing I am looking at the side of the bbl and not the bead.

I am back to square one at singles and the temp is too cold to work on it. But handicap is OK these days. Thanks to Aaron Holguin.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I developed a eye dominance problem in 2005, struggled quite a while trying different methods of barrel blades, tape and etc.

What I have found to work for me (the key words) is a combination of the Easy Hit Target Sight and the Magic Dots from Field & Clays.

Basically the Easy Hit lets me know that my correct eye is functioning properly prior to calling for the bird. Once I call, I never look at the bead again. For me, it's only a reference point so as to start properly.

Curt

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I would also like to offer that I (and some others in our club who use a dot) have found two things that seem to be common to us:<ul><li>small dots are easy to see around even though you don't perceive it; we use 3/4" (19mm) or 13/16" (22mm) dots<li>most all of us have found that light-proof dots work better for us than semi-transparent or frosted dots; we punch ours from dark self adhesive vinyl that "matches" our shooting lens colors</ul>.
    MK

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

hmb got it right. Unfortunately it often takes several months of this training to produce long term results!!

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

MIA I sometimes finish the shot looking at the side of the bbl with my left eye. Even with the uni-dot, the eyes can play tricks! I also hold a low gun at long yardage but not with singles. The extra movement and perceived increase in speed in singles also plagues me too. It's not uncommon for me to go back to the 27 and shoot a better score than singles. I once had the opportunity to ask Sean Hawley about that and he said that early on he had difficulty with singles and that he had to train himself to slow down to shoot a better score. That and with his 100s of gun lifts a day, it looks like it worked out just fine for him.

Whatever the problems, I'm just happy to be out there though! J

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have bad cross-dominance, and couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat with both eyes open.

Tried a Uni-Dot, and after a couple of months of practice, my scores went up (after initially getting worse - give it a chance). Shortly thereafter I shot my first 25 and 50 straight.

I have Uni-Dots on almost all of my shotguns now.

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

It's probably up to personal preference. Closing my left eye was out - I hated it. So I originally tried a piece of opaque scotch tape cut into a circle - about the size of a pea - and placed it very precisely on my left shooting glass lens so that my left eye couldn't see the muzzle of my gun, but could see just about everything else. Even as small as the dot was, I felt uncomfortable with it esp. when swinging on left angle birds. I wanted something that I could keep both eyes open with and the uni-dot worked for me. I don't know if there's a concrete rule of thumb - I'd say do what you're most comfortable with. Jennifer

18. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

jennifer-- how long did you try the "dot" or tape- my duaghter is struggling with the same problem. she uses the crossfire blade from meadow industries. and will miss a right or straight away by a foot or so! and then will smoke the same rock!! she tried the tape thing about 3 rounds and HATED it!

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some thoughts -- Closing the dominant eye usually causes the other eye lid to open further. This lets in a little more light and causes the pupil to get smaller. A smaller pupil could result in seeing the target clearer.

A little tape (translucent) just large enough to block out the end of the barrel should only be seen in the periphery of the vision field when not looking down the gun. Glasses with tape should only be worn on the line. Do not wear them between events when talking with friends.

I tape my left lens and frequently close my left eye when I mount my gun.

Pat Ireland

20. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Unknown1 - absolutely. Took Richard Faulds (Brit. Shooter) suggestion - remove the mid-bead and front sight. No more problems and no more bead checking as you only see the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
correct cross eye dominance
easy hit sight for sale in australia
easy hit vs tape for cross dominance
easyhit dot disappears
eye cross dominance sight
ez hit sights
faulds front bead

scotch tape to solve cross eye dominance