1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cross country move best movers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JES, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JES

JES Member

Looking at moving companies and ideas the best way to move. Anyone had good experience with a company, what are the containers you pack yourself, anyone use this method? Thanks inadvance. Jan Slough

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Where are you moving from, and where are you going??

3. JES

JES Member

San diego, California to Spartanburg, sc. Have not decided on the exact date just looking for ideas where to start.

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

My wife worked for Mayflower in Indianapolis for 10 years before they left town to go to St.Louis. She is now the claims manager for Wheaton Van Lines ( 15 years ) She should probably answer this but from listening to her stories:

Watch how things are packed.
    Pay attention to what the mover says is damaged - if you don't dispute before it is packed and shipped you'll have no redress when it gets to destination
    Don't go the cheap route and take the 60 cents per pound valuation ( insurance ) - if they destroy your grand piano you'll get 60 cents per pound not what it is worth.
    Don't ship guns - they're often lost or stolen
    Some things are almost impossible to ship without damaging them i.e. sleep number beds, porcelain figurines- you get the idea.
    Document the value of anything you will file a claim on. Don't expect to get a new flat panel 52" TV if your 20 year Sylvania black and white is damaged in shipment.

There's lot more - if you have specific questions let me know. I'll ask my wife if she will talk with you. I can give you her work number if you want it.

OBTW - the biggest issue she talks about before the shipment is to find a good local agent for a reliable mover. Get an estimate of the cost and then ask what the estimate means - it's based on the estimated total weight of the stuff you ship. Boat anchors cost more than feather pillows ( unless the weight is the same of course.

Good Luck

5. PALACE

PALACE TS Member

The system you pack yourself is called IPOD. My daughter and her husband just used it to move from CA to SD and it worked very well.Larry Titze

6. JES

JES Member

will check the Ipod thanks, also thanks amboy49 if things get to confusing in what the langauge means I might need that number. Jan

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

For a move from coast to coast like you are considering, look for a moving company that packs homes for military moving. I did that last time I had to move any distance and they disassemble anything that can be disassembled and pack it like it is in a trash compactor. They delivered and reassembled and the only damage was a vacumn cleaner head that was dropped (colder than a well digger) and snapped off. They asked us to get a new one and send them an invoice. They paid the full amount no problem.
    If the packed items stay on the same truck, the results will be better.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The company I worked for moved me 7 times and most were long moves. They paid well known movers big dollars and the moves all went well with a few exceptions and one safe damaged. However when I retired I had to move myself ( cost wise) so I chose a local small town mover at a cost of $5000. They did as good or better than the name brand movers that the company paid $16,000 - $22,000 for. Your only gonna get as good of service as the crew they send out and you wont know until they arrive. Some are real proffessional and some are pretty sleeezy

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can go to Realtor.com and get an estimate of the cost in a few moments. No packing, part packing or full packing, it's all there. Freight rates are nationally regulated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.