1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crop Oil ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wild bill JP1, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

Mr. Stewart or anyone else who knows, please answer.....

I read in Mr. Stewarts' Manual about using "Crop Oil" as a coolant. Non-toxic sounds good...The problem is that none of the Tractor Supplies or farm supply stores around here know it by that name. I don't know what it is so I can't describe it to them. What exactly is "Crop Oil"? Is there another name for this "Crop Oil" stuff? Thanks, Wild bill jp1

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

It's expensive. That's what it is. It also does not rinse off with just plain water.

JK

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Crop oil concentrates are composed of a blend of paraffinic-based petroleum oil and surfactants. This surfactant class reduces surface tension and improves herbicide uptake and leaf surface spreading.

ClawEl C.O.C.
    CROP OIL CONCENTRATE
    Superior blend of paraffin based oil & non-ionic surfactants
    PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONING AGENTS
    Paraffin Base Petroleum Oil .. 83%
    Surfactants .. 17%
    NOTE: Follow directions for use as recommended on the pesticide label.
    FOR AGRICULTURAL, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL USE

4. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

So, I go to the local Tractor Supply store with the above posted answer printed out and in hand. Give it to one of the guys there. He then calls another guy over. After nearly everyone there looks at this info, two of them searching on their computer for 20 minutes, they have no idea what it is.

"ClawEl C.O.C. CROP OIL CONCENTRATE Superior blend of paraffin based oil & non-ionic surfactants PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONING AGENTS Paraffin Base Petroleum Oil .. 83% Surfactants .. 17% NOTE: Follow directions for use as recommended on the pesticide label. FOR AGRICULTURAL, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL USE"

Is there another name for this stuff?

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

wild bill JP1,

Sounds as if you need to find someplace that carries stuff for orchards. This is an additive for fruit bearing trees.

ec90t

6. magnumfarmer

magnumfarmer TS Member

Go to a dealer for agricultural chemicals and you should find crop oil there. It is not too expensive either.

7. 333t

333t Member

Here is a link to a .pdf file on crop oil from Google.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/syllabi/325/schedule/Pest%20Management/Chemical%20Application%20&%20Safety/Crop%20Oil%20Concentrate.pdf

You might try straight Dot-3 brake fluid. It rinses off with plain cold water and makes good shot. It is fairly expensive unless you can find it in gallon jugs but it goes a long way and seems to last forever. You just have to add a little once in awhile.

Phil

8. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

333t, mighty kind of you.....but I don't want to handle the brake fluid. My hands are torn up the way it is. I'll try the pdf link....
    Thanks, Wbjp1

9. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

Well, the Crop Oil may not be non-toxic after all according to the PDF doc. mentioned above. Guess I'll try Non-Toxic Antifreeze???

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Go to your local Ag. Chem. and fert. dealer and he will know what you are talking about and will definetly have it in stock.

Darr

11. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Ahh, read the label before you buy! Was using crop oil until I finally stopped to read the label. Bad a$$ed stuff. Went to Lo Tox and am very happy. Shot looks perfect. Only wish I could shoot as well.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Crop oil is mixed with herbacides in my area mainly in airplanes which spray different crops. I guess I need to reread the label as I didn't see any problem with the use of it. There are different grades of the stuff and cost varies from seven dollars a gallon to fifteen. Most any real farm supply store has it or it is available through them. Mine washed off readily with plain water after draining. Jackie B.

13. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

I am convinced that the non-tox antifreeze is the way to go on this but thanks for all of the info on the Crop Oil....
    I am begining to wonder if I made a mistake buying the shotmaker and all of the supplies involved. So far I have spent right at $650.00 and still haven't made the first piece of shot due to wiring I have to install. I could have bought a lot of shot with that $650.00.
    Later.......

14. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

pullll, That's interesting info. I guess I'll have to get the lo tox antifreeze and fire the machine up. I haven't shot a single round since shot went above 27.50 a bag last year. I miss shooting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crop oil concentrate tractor supply