1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crop Oil Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lither, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lither

Lither TS Member

I used crop oil to make shot last night, and I found that the name "Crop Oil" is a terrible misnomer. It is more like liquid wax than oil. On lable of the jug says it is parrafin based. When I rinsed the shot, It did not all come off. the shot was left with a waxy film on it. not greasy, but waxy. I'm wondering if I will need to graphite it or if by using the crop oil I have killed two birds with one stone?

Any one else had any experiace with it?

Len

2. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

I have not had experience making shot but I know quite a bit about Crop Oil and Crop Oil Concentrates- There are many (many many many) different types, makes and brands of Crop Oil or Crop Oil Concentrates - Some contain blends of Surfactants and/or Adjuvants containing numerous types of wetting agents and bases such as silicon - so it all depends on what you have. Some Crop Oil Concentrates are made to be applid in combination with water and a pesticide. Other Crop Oils may be formulated to be applied straight - in combination with a particular pesticide at very low volumes - like 1 quart per acre total volume.........so it all depends on what type Crop Oil you have there - Haveing no experience making shot, I would suspect that you would want to use a crop oil concentrate with a high percentage of surfactns and adjuvants for his purpose - make it easier for water to wash it off. - But someone who uses these materials to make shot would be in a better position to answer than I.

3. C H S

C H S TS Member

Just a thought, what would happen to the waxy coating if you put the shot in really hot water?

Andy

4. Lither

Lither TS Member

i usef it without any water added, straght from the jug. my shot lookes as good as brake fluid, but i had evrything from 7's to 9's. I think the babbitt in some truck weights plugged my nozzles so the are not dripping right.

5. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Lither:
    If you are using truck wheel weights you need to mix them with car wheel weights or your machine is going to stop dripping and you can't get that stuff out of the drippers.

In regard to the Crop Oil Pappa Smurf is correct about thedifferent types and correct about which one to use. Do not add water to your concentrate. C H S is referring to when you wash the shot off with water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.