1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cronograph Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Zuzax, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

When graphing a shotgun load does the cronograph read the long shot string differently than a bullet? Do I need to add or subtract from the reading or do anything different?

Cheers,

George

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Can't answer that, but, for reference, I usually shoot a factory shell or two and get a reference velocity since they state theirs on the box.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Hobby chronographs read the first pellets over the screens. Commercial chronographs measure the center of mass of the shot string. Check out the Oehler Reasearch discussion on their shotshell specific chronograph.

...Bob_K...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

George- A light chronograph will read the first shot that passes through the screens. The first shot is a little faster than the shot cloud mass.

For me, the consistency of the recorded velocity of a load is more important than the actual velocity of the leading shot.

Pat Ireland

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

oehler seems very high end any idea on cost??

bill

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bill, twelve grand will get you one after a bit of a wait. Figure another few thousand to set it up. It's high-end, as you say, but it's the only one which will answer some questions and if they are worth answering, so is the cost. My 71 gave up so that was the only choice for me.

Neil

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Thanks for the information guys, that helps.

Cheers,

George

8. Neil Winston

Zuzax, the above link will tell you perhaps more than you want to know. The specific answer to you question is that a light-operated chronograph starts a clock when enough pellets appear above it to make the clock start. It's more than one pellet that's for sure but how many more than one has never been answered as far as I know.

If you use cylinder or skeet or IC chokes, you can can check not only the speed of your shells, but also their consistency. With tighter chokes your measured speed will be higher and consistency guesses will be suspect.

Neil

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- I may have learned something from your last post. I had believed, for reasons I can't remember, that one shot (the first one) could be read by a light chronograph. Can you elaborate on why this is not true? What actually starts the clock on a light chronograph?

Pat Ireland

10. Neil Winston

Pat, click on my chronograph report at the supplied link. Then look at the photo on page 3 of section 1, the setup I used with two 35P chronographs to measure the same shot - Prochronos and others can be used the same way and get about the same results.

Then mouse over to section 2, page 4 and read "More about errors." With a cylinder choke the two chronos gave the same speed for a particular shot within about 4 fps (on the average) and so must have been reading about the same thing, which I take to be the bunch of shot which photos tell us result from cylinder chokes close to the muzzle.

The same photos tell us that a full choke produces as longer "string" at that close distance. (These two effects are reversed at target distances, of course) And in this case, the two chronos _do not_ read the same, often differing by 20-plus fps. Yet the leading single shot's speed could hardly have changed much between the closely-spaced sensors. The most reasonable explanation is that the sensors are unequally sensitive to what starts their clocks. If they were both sensitive to one pellet, the readings would be equal. But they aren't equal. So they are not sensitive to one pellet.

So now you are going to say "But one of them may be and the other not." This isn't true either, since in some cases chrono #1 reads faster, in other cases chrono #2, and there is no apparent pattern to these differences.

Neil

11. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Wow! That's a lot to digest. I'm just working up a good dove load for next weeks opener. I loaded 19.0 gr of 700X, CCI 209, clay buster wad under 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2s. 8 rounds through a PACT cronograph got an average of 1250 fps. They were all with in 25 fps of each other and the pattern on the board didn't have any holes in it either.
    I feel like what Pat said about the consistency so I'm going to go with it. Recoil out of my Super X 3 is pretty light as well.
    Again, thanks for all the great information, it's been a great help.

Cheers,

George

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Once again you have destroyed one of my over simplistic concepts about the way things work. You keep making me think as you wreck my current dogma.

I have always tried to reduce things into simple models. I guess this makes me a rather simple person.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.