1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crizal Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

TV ads say they are , Dust Resistant, Water repellent, Smudge resistant, Scratch resistant and provide Glare reduction. Anyone tried these and who provides them for shooting glasses? Words like "resistant" and "reduction" do not mean "Proof". So who has them and what's your opinion?

milt

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Scratch resistance: It helps some, but if you're rough with your glasses, they will scratch. My Crizal'ed polycarbonate lenses usually start getting dinged up after about a year and a half. It is a coating, and could scratch without affecting the lens itself. Never thought to ask if they were re-coatable. Also, some lens vendors have a guarantee for scratch resistance for one year with free replacement. Sometimes they'll stretch the guarantee.

Glare reduction: What this means in Crizals, is, light coming from the rear is softened somewhat so that it does't bounce off the inside of the lens into your eye. This is helpful if you shoot at night under the lights or instances where the sun is behind you.

I've seen a lot of them showing up in movies. It gives the lenses a greenish cast and they use them because they won't show reflections from the lighting on the set.

Hope this was of some help. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

3. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

I paid just a shade over $800.00 for my last Rx w/crizal. NEVER again! Just a bunch of hype. For now on I am going to take my Rx to a discount eyeglass vendor for new glasses.

4. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

Crizal warrents any scratch for 2 years. Just return them to your doc for free replacement. Abuse is not coverd.....So dont take sandpaper to them.

5. quicky

quicky Member

Crizal lenses are a pain in the arse. The coating has a different expansion coefficient than the substrate and causes the Crizal coating to 'craze.' Google Crizal and crazing and read the horror stories. It is caused by temperature differentials between inside and outside. Here, 68 degrees inside and below zero outside and they are toast when you go out the door. It causes a bad reflection, especially as lights from the dash and traffic refract on the lense. Stay away, they are worthless but expensive at the same time, kind of like our Pres. Quicky

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I had a very honest Sears Optical optometrist tell me to pass on Cryzal.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just go to Eyemart ( or another low cost company) and get two pairs for one price usually about $65. The Cryzal hype is just that

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Just got new glasses and didn't even get Transitions again let alone Crizal. GD Transitions take way too long to change back when it's cold.

9. rbinversie

rbinversie Member

I've been using them for about 12 years, and would not go with out the Crizal lenses, they are much clearer than any other lens on the market. I wore a pair to Irag from October of 04 to March of 05, and yes they did scratch, but when I got back they replaced them free of charge. Don't know what the temperatures thing is all about, living in Wisconsin is pretty extreme and I have not had one problem. I would not recommend the transitions unless you want to wait along time for them to change.

10. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

Been wearing glasses for 41 years and i really like the Crizal version I have now...I do a lot of computer work and it helps with glare and what I'll call "ghosting" around letters, your screen type and all sorts of other variables figure in obviously, but in my setting they do seem to help.

Scratches and other dust / debris drive me crazy and i clean my lenses a lot. I like these and they have stayed scratch free for the better part of a year so far...your mileage may vary but I think it is worth it.

My $.02,

Drew

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wouldn't drive a night without them anymore.

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I had Crizal lenses, the anti glare coating came off and they wouldn't replace the coating even though I used the "Special" cleaning cloth that came with the lenses. Will never buy them again...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
craze in center of crizal lense

crazing on crizal lenses

crazing results from use of crizal anti-glare coating on eyeglass lenses

crizal crazing

crizal forum
crizal prescription shooting glasses
do glare resistant lenses craze
what is crizal craze