1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimps open over time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atashooter, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atashooter

atashooter Member

If I load a crapload of shells and they set for a long time ( Year or so ) they tend to open up. Is there a way to stop this ?? Is there a tool made to melt the tip like on factory shells ?? Any help would be appreciated.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Match your components better. If your crimps are opening, you have too tall of a wad for your load.

Properly matched components will allow even a light crimp to remain shut.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

SHOOT THEM SOONER! :) RickN is correct. Also, hulls that are "tired" have a tendency to do this as well.

AndyH

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've shot shells I reloaded when I was 16/17 years old.. 30 years later.. Got to have the crimp locked down.. a wee bit caved in.. and they stay shut.. If they are the least bit raised up.. after many years.. they will open up..

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Have had this problem with old AAs. Went to deeper wad - use 1 1/4 instead of 1 1/8 and problem went away.

I guessed that the root cause was too much in too little!

Regards

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

One year I was loading shells for a Texas marathon week, which means several thousand shells: 1 1/8 oz. in Gold Medal cases, genuine 12S3 wads, but Green Dot powder as an experiment which required a bit bigger bushing than I normally use. Rather than end up with an impossible task of boxing them all at once, I disciplined myself to load about a flat, box them, and transfer them to the motorhome is this nice, orderly, and organized manner.

When I got to Texas, almost all had opened up. What a mess! As f100 says, there are plenty of "listed" loads which work, but plenty which don't, as well. Pheasantmaster has noticed that I seem to have a chip on my shoulder about Green Dot and this is why.

Neil

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

neil, Iam sorry for the occurence. If need be, I will try and send data on reloading or if you want to throw a loader in the motorhome I will be happy to give hands on course.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, shooter, it boils down to crimp needs to be approx. the depth of a dime's thickness, bulky powders/slow burning powders may require a shorter wad, and, as said before, make sure it's the appropriate wad in the first place. I have also shot reloads, even papers with lasting crimps that I assembled in the late '70s. That's the 1970s not just after the civil war 70s.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Using a denser powder seems to help, as would a shorter wad, or less shot. A decent crimp will hold for a lifetime. If the crimp is bulged, it could eventually open up. Bulkier powders will take up a little more room in the hull and require a little adjustment to accomodate them.

10. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Par tof the problem is trying to get exactly 1oz or 1 1/8oz in the hull,
    another reason i use adjustable charge bars on all my mecs.
    After years of experience, you get good at knowing just how
    high the shot needs to sit for a good crimp.
    If the shots up into the base of the folds,
    it's usually not good,well below the fold rim, isn't good either.
    I adjust the bar, and if it's throwing 1 1/16oz for a good crimp,
    that's what i load.
    A shot payload of 420grs,470grs, 510grs,whatever it takes,
    i don't really give a rip what the exact payload is, as long as the shell crimps nice.

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

40lbs of wad pressure and have never had one open up....knock on wood....GOOD LUCK

12. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Excess wad pressure justs crushes the wad to make more room in the hull so it will crimp. Depending on the wad it may spring back opening the shell at a later time. It's a better practice to put together a load with the proper components than crushing the wads,IMHO.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pretty simple answer. Too much in too small of a space. Use different wads and the problem will go away. I found claybusters to be famous for this. Their 1 1/4 oz wads wont hold that much, come up to far , therefor you have a weak crimp.

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Measure 9/16" from shot top to hull top and you won't have a problem. You should not need excessive wad pressure, even finger seathed should be just fine. Just match the components to get dimension needed and you will be OK.

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I had that problem once with older AA cases, the full-circled Remington Fig.8 wad and 18.5 Green Dot powder. Actually these did not have to sit long - took about a week or two and the crimps opened. Corrected the problem with using the white AA wad or even the shorter Fig. 8 wad. Darrell

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

10 pounds of sh** in a 5 pound bag never works.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You should NOT have have ANY wad pressure. When reloading, the top of the wad should be about the same height at the top of the hull "ring" or about 2 3/4".

Wad pressure was a thing of the past when fibre wads were used.

The above poster is correct that if you have to put pressure on the wad to get a seated wad, then you are not using the correct wad for the volume of powder you are using.

[​IMG]

Whiz

18. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

????? That is exactly what my Rem and Win loads look like before I crimp.

Win primer,Win or Rem hull,20grs Green Dot,Win WT12(orange)wad 40psi,1oz 8s.If I use 1 1/8 shot,some shot is above the wad,this I never do. If I load 1 1/8oz shot I use 1 1/4 oz wads.(Win.WAA12F114)(knock on wood)I never have bloopers.

Has always worked for me,great patterns but I am always open for something different.....Without an open mind,we are stuck in the mud.

Always trying to help.....GOOD LUCK

19. letts

letts TS Member

When I first learned to load a lot of years ago it was recomended that I use a candle to drip wax over the crip to keep the shot from dribbling out the hole at the center of the crimp. I suppose I should stop doing that now that I have been shown the right way to crimp a shell.

Letts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.