1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimping question 9000 Mec

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Loading 18 gr of Clays using the pink 7/8 wad from downrange and I do not get a constant crimp in the grey AA. Some look good others have a bb in the center of the crimp and others look like the crimp is to deep. What do I need to adjust. I have never messed with wad pressure since it was serviced at the factory last year. Suggestions please.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Look in your manual, sent with the machine, and you'll find a very simple adjustment in the crimp stage that will tighten up that hole or unwind the spiral in your crimp depending the direction of the adjustment. I don't have the name in front of me but follow the manual to the crimp die data and it will explain....Bob Dodd

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I have the same problem on my 650, with new AA's, and oddly enough 18 grains of Clays. But I've messed with my finishing crimp countless times, and have found that it doesn't make the crimp any better, plus it screws up my other hulls which crimped just fine before. But who knows, maybe it's just something I am doing wrong...

-Jollytrapshooter

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Your hulls may have varying lengths. If that is the case, you have to comprimize. You adjust the crip die so some shells might have very small hole and some may have a swirl but all will be good crimps.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

drop the spindex down in the direction of the shell. It helped me fix the problem of sunken crimps without raising the wad ramming tube and setting the wad higher. My Green Dusters are a bit shorter than the CB Pinks and I was getting sunken crimps. I raised the wad rammer a bit to try to solve the problem. What I got was a lot of space in between the wad base and the powder which left a lot of unburnt powder in the barrel. I called Duster and a tech guy called me back and walked me through the procedure to fix it.

You can also try these if the above is not applicable to your problem:

raise the spindex up away from the shell. It should open the crimp up some more so you can get a deeper crimp.

You can also screw around with the cam

You can also raise or drop the depth of the final crimp as well.

But I have found adjusting the spindex a bit solved the sunken crimp problem without having to worry about losing the depth of the wad.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I agree with HaveGunWillTravel.

I suggest lowering the cam and raising the crimp depth at the crimping station, to get to the compromise crimps.

You should also lower the pre-crimp to were you cannot fit a pencil eraser into the hole, if you have not already done so.

Jason

7. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

On the side of the crimp atation you will find a hex bolt through a curved arm. If you loosen that then move that arm one way or the other you will close up that hole. On mine I have to change that setting when reloading AA hulls and STS hulls. You will have to experiment to find the correct setting on your machine for the loads you are running. Sorry I don't know the correct terms for the parts of the machine. The other thing you can do is adjust the depth of the crimp at the same location. Consult your owners manual or go online to mecreloaders.com to find a copy of the manual. Hope this helps.
    Darrel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you close the center hole in crimp on mec 9000

how to adjust wad pressure on a mec 9000