1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimping federal paper hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1903, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1903

1903 Member

I'm gonna be reloading some federal papers for the first time. I will be using federal primers, 12so wad and reddot powder. When I resize them on my 9000, there is a groove left on the hull about 1/4 of an inch above the brass from the collet. So I resized them all on my 600jr. My question is what type or style of crimping die do you guys use (for the mec 9000 reloader)? I bought a smooth cone crimper to use. Is that the proper one? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. John..........

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use the smooth starter crimp and then the regular crimp die on the Mec 9000. HMB

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

John.. You might want to back off the Collet a bit, that might help.
    The cone pre crimp is the one to use.

4. 1903

1903 Member

I was going to back off the collet. I load sts and nitros by the thousands, and this is a "limited run", LOL. So I didn't want to mess with the collet. Besides I won't have to resize them again because I'm going to be shooting them out of a O/U gun. Thanks for your suggestions. John........

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

For Federal papers, I leave the crimp starter off and let the other two dies give me a factory looking load! Try it, you'll like it! Better results than even the smooth die from MEC.

Hap

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I load them on a PW and change nothing, comes out perfect.

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I load Federal papers on an old PW 800B and use the smooth cone shaped crimp starter. This press does not taper crimp (works well for papers).

I used to load papers on my MEC but had to remove the final station (taper crimp die) because every once in a while it would pull the paper out of the brass. I used a 6 point crimp starter and my reloads came out very good.

I use 12SO wads, 7/8 oz shot with 17.5 grains of Clay Dot powder. Great load for trap singles and skeet.

Bob

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

When I load Fed. papers on my 9000G I get a slight mark on the tube just above the brass. At first I adjusted the collet so it was barely noticable, now I just load them with the grove, or indentation. Doesn't seem to affect anything...the paper hull always fails at the primer pocket or with pinholes just above the brass. I get 4 good, solid loads before I dump them.

Wayne

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Smithy: Have tried putting empty PAPER nhulls in a 200 degree oven on a cookie sheet to dry them out for about 15 minutes before loading?

That should stop hull seperation.

I do this all the time w/Paper Federals.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

320090T is right on. Heat them?? why - no need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crimping federal paper hulls