1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iapackfn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Ok so I just loaded my first couple of shells on my MEC sizemaster. I am a little concerned with my crimps. Any suggestions? 1483495590913491911035.jpg

2. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Put an 8 PT starter crimp on.

3. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Being totally ignorant, isn't that what is on it?

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Post your recipe: Hull, Wad, Amount of Shot, What Powder, Amount of powder.

Looks like you are loading Win AA Super Handicap/Sport hull with the wrong wad.

Jason

5. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Loading Winchester AA, gray hull, 2 piece I was told, Clay's powder, Clay buster WAA12 replacement wad for 1 1/8 ounce

6. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Look up inside the crimp starter, that's the best way. If you bought it used, there could have been a 6 pt on it.

And it also might be your starter isn't free spinning, so it don't line up with the previous folds.

I dunno about the wrong wad, could be, but your crimp depth looks great. You just aren't getting the folds started right.

Edit to add: I see what waverider is talking about now. The little crease you have on a couple hulls means it's packed to dang tight. Need a bit shorter cushion section on wad.

7. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Crimp starter is loose, spins freely. I will try another hull to see if that helps.

8. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Count the creases in the crimp starter.

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

And it is an 8 point crimp starter, right?

You are using the wrong powder or the wrong wad with Clays powder. You are trying to stuff too much stuff into the AA HS hull.

Options:

Drop your shot amount to 1 oz.

You did not list the amount of powder so I have no idea of how fast your load should be going. Any who, get denser powder: TiteWad, TiteGroup, or 700X. Check the online data at Hodgdon for the right one.

Get 1 1/4 oz wads.

Short term/Band Aid fix with what you got.
    Increase the wad pressure to 50 lbs.
    lower the crimp starter so a tip of a pencil just fits in the hole.

This may work to get you better crimps, but you should reload the night before using them. You are crushing the crush section of the wad to make everything fit. Over time the wad my push the shot up and open the crimp up.

Jason

dirt stirrer thanked this.
  10. dirt stirrer

From obvious experience, waverider speaks. As Yoda would say

11. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

That load is listed on the Hodgdon website but I would drop my powder charge to 17.5 or so. After shooting a few hundred drop to 17 and you will like it even better.

12. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Loaded some red AA hulls, crimp appears bettet.

Attached Files:

13. 3hoss3

3hoss3 TS Member

I load rem hulls, but I have seen something like this before...I had some 6 fold game loads that I had mixed in with 8 fold hulls and the 8 point crimp starter made it look like these.

14. dirt stirrer

Well, you have just discovered that your loader likes red hulls better than black/gray ones. It must be racist.

Shannon Rankin and wadcrusher thanked this.
  15. dirt stirrer

I haven't seen many 6 pt AAs.

Just sayin':18::18:

16. 3hoss3

3hoss3 TS Member

Yeah...I'm my case it was the black Remington value pack stuff that has both crimps apparently

17. dklees

dklees Active Member

Those crimps definitely look like you are using a 6 point crimp starter and that's an 8 point hull. You will have to put an 8 star crimp starter on it for any 8 point hulls. Most target 12ga. will be 8 point, most hunting or field loads will be 6 point. You have to use 6 star for hulls with 6 point and 8 star for all 8 point or else crimps will have those folded ears on them like yours are doing. I get the same thing if I forget to swap out for the correct crimp starter.

You may have to adjust your load or wad to get a good crimp. I put a spacer washer on my Mec to place the crimp starter a little lower, giving a heavy pre-crimp to help get a good crimp. HS hulls are a bit of a pain sometimes. They often leave a small hole in the crimp. Usually I've corrected by choosing a slightly shorter wad to give a little more room, or getting a better pre crimp.

18. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

In looking at my second picture of the red hulls, does that look correct or does it still look like I have the wrong precrimp?

19. dklees

dklees Active Member

Those look great. Nice 8 point crimp.

20. 3hoss3

3hoss3 TS Member

You have right precrimp 8 point...I have heard the length varies quite a bit between the various AA, just need to tinker with the height up/down on the precrimp.