1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimp=Rcoil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JJJ, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Today, a very knowledgeable trapshooter,told me the tighter the crimp on your reload, the more recoil. True or false?
    Thanks,
    Joe Jordan

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Here comes Neil!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you put the AA upside down, does it reduce recoil?

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

What he DIDN'T tell you was that if you leave a tiny hole in the center of the crimp, there is no recoil at all because the shot can get out without pushing the hull open.

Lister

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Joe, imagine a crimp so tight and tough it never opens at all - everything stays in the shell. Such a shell wouldn't recoil at all, of course. So if the very knowledgeable shooter's opinion was based on pressure, he's wrong.

For shells with less strong crimps than that, recoil is directly proportional to the speed of the ejecta, and crimp may affect that with shot charges of an ounce or under, mostly.

That is, it may - or may not - be that a deep crimp changes the speed of 7/8 oz. shells; it does affect the pressure. But whether that pressure change ends up influencing the speed was not part of the experiment I read, as I remember.

I don't have my data with me, but I think that PB was a little sensitive to crimp, but Red Dot hardly at all.

I will predict that in a test of tight crimps vs less tight crimps, no one can tell the difference.

Neil

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

From the above responses to your question it is evident that some trap shooters have very small brains and are easily confused.

The correct answer to the question depends on whether you are using a fast or slow burning powder. The amount of recoil will be inversely proportional to the burning rate of the powder. HMB

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sigh...the bullshit never ends, does it?

8. Neil Winston

Recoil is unrelated to the burning rate of the powder, Howard.

Neil

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Neil, now you've done it...just whack that hornet's nest, why don't you?

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

A loose crimp or one that is less tight than 40 lbs can effect the complete ignition of the powder burn, thus it could effect the velocity of the shot load. May expalin the "phoof" you hear with some shells when the crimp ends are all black, loose and broken, but the reloader seals it with wax or tape or something. You can also find unburned powder in your barrel when this happens.

If you are going to spend good money on powder, primers and lead, don't skimp on the hull trying to load it 27 times. I load mine no more than 4 times for serious shooting, and after the fifth, which I use on doubles, I toss it.
    Some people will not reload a shell more than once, 2-3 times and toss it.

Use your finger to pinch the end of a hull that was first fired new and one that has been reloaded 5 times or more and you will see the difference.

11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I agree with sarge. If Wm C. Davis did the research and tests, it can be written in stone. Now I just have to find it on the web.

12. Neil Winston

Rick, I see you cite forty-pound crimps.

What are they?

Neil

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh sure, Neil...insisting that people define the terms they use is always the last refuge of scoundrels...hmph.

14. Barry C. Roach

15. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Thanks for all the SERIOUS replies. Now I know what they mean when they claim there are more horse's AS--- than there are horses.
    Again,thanks for the serious replies.
    Joe Jordan

16. Barry C. Roach

Just having some fun with Neil, tripleJ.

17. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Neil, I wish to retract my statement about the 40 lb crimp for now, until I can find the reference.......there is a good possibilty I was confusing shotshell with metallic cartridge crimp. Sorry if I mislead anyone. I will get back to you when (or maybe if) I can find that reference.

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

JJJ, <i>you</i> may have asked that question in innocent good faith, but others like to start fires and get 'excitable' people, well, excited.

Any question concerning increasing or reducing 'recoil', especially in the artificial and scientifically meaningless context of 'felt' recoil, is absolutely guaranteed to get fireworks going.

Your 'knowledgeable' trapshooter friend ... wasn't - at least in the sense of recoil as defined as Newtonian physics as it is understood by ordinary and accepted definition.

It IS possible to play with momentum and increase velocity (perhaps ... by a teeny) by increasing pressure by jacking with the crimp, ergo increasing recoil a fraction of a foot-pound, but that is not useful data, nor is the corollary true: a soft, sorry crimp reducing recoil in a competent shell.

Bob

19. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Neil...I can assure you burning rate of powder has a marked effect on felt/perceived recoil. It is more pronounced the heavier the load. Take 5 1200fps loads of 700x or Red Dot and let someone shoot em. Now, take 5 1200fps loads of International Clays or PB and let them shoot em. Less recoil, more comfortable, whatever you want to label it, the slower burning powder shells will be the shell of choice. I describe it to people with the analogy, 30lbs of force can be delivered to your belly with a sharp punch, or a slowly increasing pressure. Both equal delivered force, one hurts like hell....Jerry

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Don't want to steal this thread, but wad about wad pressure vs. recoil?

Just thought I'd throw a little more BS into the discussion. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.