1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimp Problems w/MEC 9000G With Fed Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

To make a long story short my 9000G is not old but is doing something I cannot correct. It Is: When loading with federal papers using 17.2 grains of 700X I can get 3 or 4 perfect beautiful crimps but the next 2 or 3 I get holes in the center. I have adjusted everything known to man but cannot correct this problem. I only reload once fired shells. Thought I would try this site before I go to MEC. Thanks. Bob

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Using a cone crimp starter for paper hulls?

3. In plain view

In plain view Member

claybrdr: Yes, I seldom reload anything else. I'm also getting some shells slightly crushed and I know it's not because of too much lead etc. I'm guessing it's the crimp starter but I've adjusted it but then the holes are in all the shells, if that makes sence. Bob

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Do you have the cam on the right hand side in the back all the way down in the slotted hole? I have this issue with hulls that are getting close to their last reload. If it is a once or twice fired hull I do not seem to have this problem. I inspect every hull before I reload it. When I see a few pin holes in the base os signs of checkering in the side of the holes I make the base with Sharphy marker and that is the last time I will reload that particular hull. I get 4 - 5 reloads per hull usually. I reload the paper hulls for my handicap rounds.

Jim Bradbury

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

In plain view--Re. your 2nd post--I'm not too familiar with Mec reloaders but can you check (take out of machine) the hull at the start crimp station & see if it has the "slightly crushed" condition happening there or does the "crush" happen on the final station???? I load on an older Pacific (Hornady) & had that problem also, fixed it by by adjusting the final crimp die (station) for over all length (slightly longer when crimped) and slightly shallower crimp depth. The Pacific (Hornady) has separate adjustments for this. The OAL of the crimped hull rarely has any effect on feeding in semi-autos or pumps and it does not change the length of the fired hull. Maybe this only works with Hornady machines. Ross Puls

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would definitely check a shell after the first, and then after the final crimp.

The final crimp is only there to round the end of the shell a teence to ease feeding in autos.

You could throw it away if you shoot a break gun

kthe shell should comeout of the pre crimp with a hole the size of a lead pencil or a little smaller in the center.

Then you adjust the cam so the hole is not evident, or nearly so.

If you need to eat up a little material you can lower the crimping punch. This is usually because of a swirl in the center of the crimped shell.

That's all I have for you.

HM

7. In plain view

In plain view Member

What puzzles me is why do I get 3, 4 or 5 perfect shells like they just came out of the factory and with the next pull of the handle I get 2 or 3 with small holes in the center. I pretty much have the periodical crushing solved but it's the consistancy problem that I would like to correct. I simply do not like seeing holes in the center of the shell. I'm guessing the problem most likely is in station 4. Bob

8. sidious

sidious Member

I just started reloading (~15K so far), so this may or may not be the problem. Most of my crimps are very nice looking, but I'll get some with holes every once in a while. I chalk it up to the length of the hulls being used. Not ALL are of the same length, and some may be slightly shorter than the rest, which (I think) leads to the small holes in the center.

A possible solution is to use more precrimp, but I've never reloaded paper hulls before.

Good luck!

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What kind of wad are you using?

Ajax

10. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It's my impression that a Fed Paper Hull crimp will never be as rigid as most plastic hull crimps. It will yield to a compressed wad, or just will not ALWAYS "lock" in a load whose component hieght is a little high in the hull. This is where you will see the little bulge in the crimp, with a small visible opening in the center. The trick is to use a load that allows enough room for a good crimp, maybe even below flush. Hope this helps.

P.S. As mentioned... individual hull height will also cause these exact same problems.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some hulls have more variation in height than others. when I load Nitros there will be some with a wee hole, some perfect, and some with a swirl. When I look at them stood on end I see varying lengths, more so than others.

So live with it. I suppose if I wanted to screw up my shooting I could peer at each shell and try to figure which one shoots better, LOL.

(not happening, My game has enough crap in it)

HM

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Bob, I have had much success loading papers, I use the smooth mec cone, and of importance use a Federal 12S4 brown wad, while hoarding my 12C1;s now for a kicker, for a while intermittinly, the same thing would happen, I found some shot bag debris in the shot portion, cleaned out well and all is good, another thing, I put two return springs on my loader as sometimes I would not get a full charge maybe 10 short, incinerate em!

13. Flinch king

Flinch king Member

Bob,
    Try removing the pre-crimp cone and letting the final crip station close the shell. I learned about this on TS.com last year. The pre-crimp starter cone just snaps into place on a pipple. Just pull it off and try to run a couple shells to see if that does the trick. I leave mine off and I get a perfect factory 6 fold crimp just like the original. Good luck.
    Brian Seibert

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hole in center of crimp paper federal

mec 9000g problems

my pacific hornady reloader is leaving a circle hole after crimping

paper feds hole in center of crimp