1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crimp problem with grabber

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr MardiGras, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr MardiGras

Mr MardiGras Member

I have been reloading now for 3 years and have never had a problem, but out of nowhere my machine is over crimping the shell in the center of the shell leaving a small hole in the crimp. In a some shells it is large enough that shot falls out. I am not sure why but I have not changed anything on the reloader...Thanks in advance for any feedback....Jim

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Have you changed the hulls you are loading, or the wad/ powder combination?

Something has changed. New AAs versue old AAs? Wad pressure ram moved?

ed.

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Jim

I have been using a grabber since 1987. I load about 20,000 rounds a year. The problem you describe I never experienced.

Are you using a powder manufactures manual and following reliable recipes?

Is the crimp starter (item #77) set down far enough to pull the crimps in really close?

Try moving the (item #68) Crimp Punch up or down. Loosen the locking nut and use a screw driver to move the punch up or down. You need to use the trial and error method to find the optimal setting.

Also, move the (item #46) the Cam up and down to find the optimal setting. Loosen the 5/32 Allen screw to move this cam. The Punch & Cam settings establish the optimal crimp.

Good luck.

Frank

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Read Fank's point on item #46 - it is the cam adjustment just a hair up or down that will solve your problem. I've found, however, that green STS hulls are variable in length and I've had to set the cam for an average. Some will be too tight causing a spiraling crimp while others are slightly open but not enough to loose pellets. If you're loading green STS hulls, be prepared to find a spot in the middle of all crimp closures....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The solution to the problem you are having is to readjust the crimp starter. Give it one turn down at a time until the problem goes away. Do not make any other adjustments unless this fails. HMB

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

nspktr1,

i just loaded a bunch on my 366 and there was no problem getting perfect crimps. i only use wt12 wad.

brett d.

7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

My Grabber manual says to lower the cam a little to adjust the hole out of the crimp and it works for me. On my Grabber the reason for the hole in the crimps and hull crushing on the new Win AA HS hulls was not enough space in the hull with Win AA wads. For 1 oz loads in Win AA HS hulls with Clays powder I started loading the Win AA 1-1/8 white wad and it worked much better than the Win 1 oz pink wad. Now I am using the Downrange DR-XL-1 neon green wad for 1 oz loads in the AA hulls. The Win 1 oz pink wad works great in the AA HS hulls for 7/8 oz loads. I don't have to do this with Rem STS hulls. In the Rem STS hulls I use 1 oz wads for 1 oz loads and 7/8 oz wads for 7/8 oz loads. The Downrange DR-XXL 7/8 oz pink wad loads great in Rem STS's for 7/8 oz loads, the same wad in the Win AA HS hulls loads great for 3/4 oz loads.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hulls from the same manufacturer may vary a little in length and volume. If you have the machine adjusted so most crimps are excellent but once in a while one will have a small hole and another a slight spiral crimp, you have things about as good as possible. I see these crimp variations in new factory shells.

Pat Ireland

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

Adjust the crimp starter so that a primer placed on top of the started crimp will not quite fall through, then adjust the cam as described in previous post. I called MEC last week with same problem and this is straight from the "horses mouth".
    Jim G

10. Mr MardiGras

Mr MardiGras Member

Thanks for all the advice...I will give it a try today ...Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.