1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimp Problem/ Now Solved

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I am having a problem with some crimps on my MEC 9000G, When I load STS or Nitro hulls, the crimp is just fine, but when I load AA's or Gold Medals, I cannot get the hole in the center to close up. I have the cam adjuster down as far as it will go and it closes up the Remington hull just great, but not the others. I am out of adjustments, any suggestions? Mec advises that it should be working if the cam adjuster is all the way down.

Oscar

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wrong wad?

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Might try closing up your pre-crimp a bit. MEC says to get the hole on the pre-crimp station to be about the size of a pencil eraser. The AA hulls are a tick shorter than the Remington, so it takes a bit more pre-crimp to get them to close the hole up completely on the final crimp stage. Hope this helps. Garrett

4. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

I use a cone or smooth pre crimp,help alot,most important make sure crimp shoulder stays under .o55 dime thickness,is as important as any part of your load.............

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Oscar,
    You may just be out of luck ... with your MEC. With my machine, I found that I needed to drop the main crimp die down ... further than the threads on the shaft would allow. I actually took the main crimp shaft in to work ... had it weld built and re-machined ... in order to get the crimp die to effectively "reach" further down. Solved my problem - I get very nice crimps with AA now. In fact, I would daresay the crimps on AA seem more consistent than STS.

6. rmy

rmy Member

For the AA hull, use the brown Downrange DR AA wad and your problems will go away. As stated above the AA's are shorter and this wad will give you more room for shot. Line up some empty STS's and AA's and put a straight edge across the top and you will see the problem.

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

blueskyshooter, I would be very interested in a picture of your problem. I have never had to extend my pre-crimp any where close to the end of the thread. As a matter of fact I have been having some good luck with the old style pre crimp which use a brass star encased in a metal collar.

Bryan

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I tried the original Winchester AA wad and the Rem TGT12 wad. The Winchester wad is shorter than the TGT, so i thought that would work but I still have the hole.

Oscar

9. creek

creek Member

I had the same problem and solved it with changing the wad. I used to use the Down Range figure 8, for Remington and AA hulls but they left a hole on the AA's. I don't like adjusting the reloader for different hulls, so I just changed to Down Range XL 1 1/8 blue wads for all my hulls. No more open crimps on AA's or any other ones for that matter. This one wad works for all.

John

10. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Cal,
    Its the main crimp station that I modified ... not the pre-crimp. I set my pre-crimp to close the hull just a tad smaller than a pencil eraser.

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I will try adjusting my pre crimp down a little, I have a hole larger than a pencil eraser.

Oscar

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I pre-crimp to about 1/8" hole , smaller than a pencil.

13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I did as claysmoke and Blusky shooter suggested and lowered my pre crimp down a bit and it solved the problem. Thanks You two for the suggestion and I did as emmylou1 suggewsted and made sure I had less than a dime thickness for the crimp itself.

I want to thank everyone for all the help! I am now good to go with the AA Hulls. I have several thousand of them and did not want to have to get rid of them.

Oscar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.