1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crimp Advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sammie, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammie

sammie TS Member

My question is in setting up my MEC 650 is there a preferred way to adjust for good crimps for the new AA's and new Rem's both STS and black hulls? Sam

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I try for a crimp depth about the thickness of a dime.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

With the new Win AA, look out for a small buckling in the case wall, just forward of the powder. If this occurs, just back off on the crimp cam slightly. You might need to lower the crimp starter a little for the new AAs also. Sometimes a longer wad like the 1oz Win AA12SL might cause the buckling to occur a little more. Like grunt said, crimp depth near the thickness of a dime, give or take. Once you have the Win AAs crimping well, the Remingtons should give no trouble. The Remingtons are sometimes a little inconsistant concerning variations in length. Some might have a small swirl in the center and most may not. I've never encountered any problems with a slight swirl, even to the extent of any increased velocity variations over a chronograph. The patterns all seemed to be as expected. All four of my MECS were set for good crimps with the AA and gave decent crimps with pretty much all of the current Remington hulls, the exception being anything that might be of the RIO/Cheddite pursuasion.