1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Credit card chargeback: past the 60 day mark

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have been having an interesting dilemma with a gunshop. So the story goes like this:

1.) I had the merchant charge my card in June to buy a rifle

2.) rifles gets delivered and I pick it up in first week in July

3.) rifle has machine marks and burring and merchant agrees to take it back and replace with an identical model

4.) merchant receives rifle first week of August and confirms receipt and tells me he will send back the rifle to the manufacturer and get me a replacement from them.

5.) So far I have emails confirming the above so I have a paper trail on this merchant now..

6.) October comes around, merchant replies to my email saying he should expect a shipment in anytime now

7.) November comes around....same song and dance from the merchant via email.

8.) I call merchant right before Xmas and a get a verbal promise that it will ship right after Xmas

9.) Email to merchant in 2dn week of January inquiring about rifle and merchant says it will be here soon at his shop and he will ship out very soon

10.) I call the manufacturer at the end of January and the sales rep who handles the merchant's account says they have no record of him sending back my rifle to get replaced and they have not sent him any shipping notices for the last few months. BIG RED FLAG!!! I ask the sales rep, to contact the merchant to sort this out and get a replacement rifle out to me as soon as feasible.

11.) Merchant contacts me right after I contact the sales rep., via email and says he is expecting my rifle to ship from the manufacturer to his shop soon.

12.) By 3rd week of Feburary (Feb. 24), merchant does no reply back to my inquiry to let me know where the rifle is. I email again asking for a refund. Someone from "accounting" answers my email stating they will process my refund and tells me it may take up to 15 days to show on my credit card (VISA). My card issuer states it takes them 72 hours to process merchant refunds.

13.) I email merchant this week to check on refund...he states he will "first thing in the morning."

14.) 2 days past, no response from merchant so I email him again asking is there any resolution to this. Merchant replies back via email, with an attitude, saying he does not have time to give me a "play by play of the situation, just sit back and wait for your refund, we will send a check to you".

I bought from this shop before so I gave him the benefit of the doubt to have me wait for a replacement rifle but now it seems like he just does not have the $$$ to issue me a refund now for whatever reason.

At first my card issuer (local bank) said it's past the 60 day mark so I can't dispute the charge and initiate a chargeback. I called "big VISA HQ" and told them situation, that I have yet to receive the replacement item for the original item purchased. They seem to agree with me, that if I have documentation showing the merchant agreed to the return of the item for a replacement and if I have not received the item yet, I can dispute the original charge. So I emailed my local bank, to the person who handles the VISA stuff, and laid out, in a timeline fashion, of what has been going on with this merchant. She was out of the office on Friday so I have to wait until Monday to see what she says. Big VISA HQ can't initiate the chargeback, it has to be done through my bank that issued me the card...based on the lie he told me about sending back my rifle to the manufacturer and the constant song and dance about my rifle is almost ready to ship, yada yada, I have no patience to wait for a refund from this merchant and wanted to initiate a chargeback on my own...small claims court is not option since the shop is located in several states away.

anyone have a similar experience or have experience in disputing charge that is months past the allowed time to do a chargeback? If so, I would be interested to hear how your issue got resolved....

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Probably a vast right wing conspiracy.

HM

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

What is the name of the Merchant in question? Probably others would like to know. Or at least, the state he is located in.

Allen

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

don't worry lctrap, if he was going to burn me for good, he shouldn't have left a papertrail that is attributable to his place of business ;-)

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Get the Feds involved-----call 1-800-WHITE HOUSE !Maybe your buddy can help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.