1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Create your own flash targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turmite, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=flashtarget2.jpg" target="_blank"> flashtarget2.jpg </a>

This is a home made flash target. What do you think? I have expermited all spring on powders, covers etc.

This powder is the best, but too expensive!

I am thinking of offering a little kit to do these in small numbers? I am seeking input as to whether or not it would fly? Say a kit to do 10 targets for
    $17.50 including shipping via usps priority fixed rate box.

Mike

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This was discussed a few months back. Rather inexpensive to make...

A club owner made some for a video he wanted me to post about his sporting clays club. I think he used Glad plastic wrap, but I've used a circle cut from a newspaper with a little glue, powder added.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Joe... What powder did you add?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Too expensive at that price. Use a full choke and smoke the 'lil bastards. Smoke Puff ball is there, you just have to make it work.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

talcum powder also works and probably cheaper.

6. turmite

turmite Member

Joe if he used Glad wrap, how did he get it to stick to the target? I can't get it to stick. The process I use is a little more expensive, but using a kit you could make 10 of them in about 3 minutes.

grntitan, that full choke works pretty good if you can hit them! However, when starting youngsters off as young as the 6th grade, it seems to work better to start them with a more open choke! I can promise you this....when a young shooter hits one of these flash targets, the look on their face is priceless! Now with that said, I am not looking to do this as a business, but I also don't want to be tied up making kits with nothing to show for it. What would be a fair price? Keep in mind, I have to buy in bulk, trips to the Post Office, packaging, shipping and time.

I can tell you nearly any really dry, finely ground powder will work, but there are some health hazards to consider. Good old baking flour works, if you want white. Carpenter's chalk comes in white, a pale blue and an off colored red. The orange flash in the photo I showed was powder paint, that was relatively safe, but bad expensive. $32 per lb by the time it was delivered. My only reason for starting this search was for the young shooters I help coach. 50 of them. Some are pretty good shooters, some struggle, but keep trying. It is those that really smile when they break one of these!

Mike

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

With the cost of everything going up the last thing we need is a way to make it even more expensive and put a smile on some kiddies face ... The kids should appreciate the fact he or she is shooting let along going to have a target make a big ball of smoke when they hit it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chalk line chalk is available in gallon containers at a reasonable price from your local lumber yard

Ed Yanchok

9. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

We made some for our league night shooting a couple weeks ago and didnt tell anyone we put them in the trap it was awesome, the guys really got a big kick out of them. We only made a few and staggered them so everyone on the team got a couple, but man you shoulda seen the looks on their faces when they got the first one, hehehehehe, All we used was baking soda, cardboard cutout, and a little barge cement and "POOF"... they were really cool.

Mark Williams

10. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

A while back, a frient of ours made some flash targets using toner (the stuff used in laser copiers) in different colors. He said it was tough to get it right. First off the toner is super fine and if the "lid" is not properly secured on the target you will get "leakage; and a stream of toner as the target leaved the trap. A little super glue and some heavy weight paper cut into circles to cap the target was the trick. And boy, do these really surprise those who are presented one of these targets. These targets were a bit expensive and very time consuming to make. I guess that baking soda, or flower, or carpenters chalk will work as well. One would not need to be too maticulous about gluing the disc on top as these are not as fine a powder as toner. Good luck and have fun.

Billy P

11. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Toner is the answer. Call your local copier dealer. ie Canon, Xerox, or whatever is in your area. If you can speak to a repair tech they should be able to supply you with WASTE toner. All production type copiers will have a waste toner container. Very fine black powder.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that if you made these with toner and used them in Kansas on a really windy day, it could get pretty interesting. New white shirt, anyone?

13. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

I made a bunch of "flash" targets using circles cut out of newspaper, Elmers white glue, and pulverised lime (the fine stuff) you use in the garden. Put the lime in the depression on top of the target, the more the better, then run a bead of glue around the depresion. Place the newspaper circle, cut slightly larger then the depression, on top. Work the edge of the newspaper with your finger to secure the glue seal.

They work like a charm, they're cheep and they even enhance the grass on the trap field!!! Good luck.... Jerry Felice

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Devi has a very valid point. Powdered paint and toners in or on a target could be a recipe for disaster. I would make it somethng wasable if you must make 'em. Of course just say'n...............

15. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

What are some of the way to make flash targets.

16. FLIP

FLIP Member

I have used copier toner it works great! if you fill the top up, on a calm day it hangs in the air for a long time

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have used cold drink lids from various fast food joints to seal in powder. They fit into recesses inside clay target. Elmers glue held them in place. Be advised you have a real mess to clean up if that target breaks in the machine.

18. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Used some yesterday for our kids barbecue end of year get together. used line chalk red oor white seperate. A single layer of poster board or shoe box cardboard cut to size a bit of glue around the top, place ccardboard and small weight to hold till dry. paint and load. Fill the cavity all the way up. smoke show for all. Gary LHC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

create your own pistol targets

diy flash targets

flash target clays

homemade flash clay targets

how to make flash clay targets

line chalk flash target

powder filled clay targets

powder flash clay targets