1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a slug

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it, too much mass for my choke.

Neil did a pressure test quite some time back with a load that should have generated approx. 10,000, his pressure gun read 5000 or something close on the cut case. Hap

2. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I'll bet the proof loads the factory fired thru those guns was a LOT heavier than the 3 dram Fed paper reloads I saw go down the barrel.

No different than reloading an old "Blue Magic" so many times it decided to just leave with the shot. Open that bad boy up and nothin but the brass came out. That was probably harder on the gun than a shell that had been "ringed".

AJ100

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

AJ100, it amounts to the same thing. Hap

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

That's my point. Old reload or ringed paper. No problem. I wouldn't make a habit of shooting them, but once in a while?

You want something to worry about? Have your MX8 double when you have Fed P154's (Yes sir, 3-3/4,,,1-1/4) pigeon loads in both barrels. Now THAT gets your attention. If that isn't a WTF nothing is.

You open the gun. Put in a couple empties and try the triggers. They work, no problem. You think, man, I must have done something wrong. You reload, try and remember which box the bird came out of. BTW, you stone the pigeon when you catch them with both barrels at once. Anyway, you load and get ready. Ask the puller if he is ready. Instead of yelling ready he just laughs and says, "Sure I'M ready, the question is are YOU ready?" Kinda makes you think.

AJ100

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cripes, if you're gunna test it, at least use an NEF break action shotgun. Them barrels are thick.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I can see no objective that would force me to resort to such stupidity.

HM

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

doda, my son had a barrel bulge occur in an auto because of a shell burnoff which I think would be the same thing. The only thing left in the barrel was the brass and a little of the plastic.

If this is a real shooting technique, I have to admit I would not try it.

HM

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You gonna shoot that duck while it's swimming on the water?

Hell NO, I'm gonna wait until it stops.

AJ100

9. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

We actually did this a lot when I was still in High School, about 4 years ago. At our gun club, there was a huge sand pit where people would dump junk. We would go out and shoot "cut shells" at all of the junk. They do great amounts of damage on toilets, garbage cans, telephone poles, and cinder blocks. You just need to be careful that the whole shell passes. We had one that sounded weird, buddy didn't check the barrel, shot another one, and made the barrel look like a banana. If you do it, be safe!

10. pull!

pull! TS Member

saw a website from Europe that showed a special wad-it looked like a wad cut off at the petals

I made my own-cut one wad off at petals-loaded over powder-

then took another wad and cut off just below petals

loaded one ounce shot in shell

then turned second wad over and put in upside down and crimped

shot at pattern board of 1/4 inch steel-severe dent in steel

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

We used to do it with 3" steel shot while duck hunting. I always had two "exploding slugs" with me for yotes when we hunted the back bays. Use an open choke!

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The way that I create a slug is to buy a super-sized flat screen TV and order NFL Sunday ticket, then I stock my fridge with sausages, cheese whiz, and beer, then I invite my brother to stay with me for a few weeks.

13. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

We ringed shells back in the early sixties. We did it becasue we heard the older WW11 vets talk about doing it during the Depression. I would guess it might be a good thing to know how to do in survival situation where all you had were shot shells and you needed to shoot larger animals for food or to protect yourself or as a poster said to shoot ducks or geese on the water that were out of shot shell range. In a survival situation anything goes. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.