1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a Gas War?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by darwinbene, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

The biggest oil/gas producer is Exxon/Mobile. If we would not buy from this company, would they have a surplus of product? Thus driving down the price of fuel/gas. Would this be possible? It would be fun to try. Just a thought.
    Here in Colorado, Yuma, CO diesel is at 3.15 and 3.11. Unleaded is at 2.79/2.99. In Goodland, KS the 25th of April diesel was 2.78 and not sure about unleaded. Don't know what prices are the closer you get to Denver, but are usally cheaper by 10 cents to 20 cents a gallon. But then, Colorado is one of the highest states for fuel taxes along with about 15 other states.

Darwin

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Everybody's gas goes into the same distribution network. Any difference in additive packages occurs at the terminals. If you didn't patronize Exxon's stations, they'd sell their gas anyway through somone else's outlets and THEY'D get richer. Exxon would never even notice.

Mike

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I thought this was a post about beans.

Don

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I thought this post was about Shootlow! lol lol.....

Hauxfan!

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"These gas prices are flurting with disaster in many ways, I dont think people are goona put up with this trend."</blockquote>

People have, and will, continue to put up with it because gasoline costs are a small part of the average consumer's budget. Businesses and transportation feel the bite but they just pass their cost on to whomever and it simply becomes another expense of living. Americans have more money than brains when it comes to fuel; as long as they can pull in and fill up when they want to, they'll complain simply because it seems like the thing to do at the time, but they'll keep on paying. Now a REAL shortage (not a contrived one to boost prices) will get their attention and get them off their butts.

Mike

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

In the early 80"s the big gas co were caught having lunch together talking about what price to have on their pumps. They were fixing gas prices. Was anything done NO. They got caught and got away with it. I don't buy from either one. The only time I will buy from them which is rare is when I'm forced to because I'm about to run out of gas and even then its just enough to find what I want.

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I use to work for a hotair balloon co. One day we had a charter just for a couple. After the flight we were packing up and some how got on the subject about gas co and how they buy every pattent that saves fuel. The customer got upset and my boss was telling me to shut up. We got back to the Inn and was told to go and fuel up the tanks. While doing so my boss came by and said I should not talk like that. I said I have not done anything wrong nor did I say anything wrong. The gas co do buy any and all pattents that save fuel and buy all thay can so when the oil is gone or short they will reach into their files and pull something out to keep the money coming in. My boss asked if I knew who he was and I said no and because of the way he acted I really did not care. He said he was a big wig in the Exxon co. After he had some Champain(sp) he relaxed some and said before he left "He's right we do buy all the pattents that do save fuel". The gas co may not be selling gas in the years to come but they will not be out of business. They have the pattents now that will give you 100 per gal and the performage you want but they don't want that out just yet. Greed thats all it is. GREED.

8. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have a Flex Fuel vehicle and I buy as much Ethanol as I can

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Any gas we do not use will be sold to another country. Some of these theories would have worked 20 years ago. The gas companies can put any price on their product and we will still purchase it. More and more companies will follow their example. Michael

10. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

you all sit here and bitch about, " BIG OIL COMPANIES " getting rich, more money is made off oil at WALL street, than any other place. pull your pinheads out of you ass's.

11. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Old idea that’s been floating around the internet for years.

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"I have a Flex Fuel vehicle and I buy as much Ethanol as I can"</blockquote>

That's good...eventually we'll all have the choice between eating and driving because there isn't enough corn and soybeans grown in this country to make a significant dent in today's fuel demands.

This from the "University of Minnesota News":

<blockquote>"A major challenge is getting enough biofuel. Already, 14.3 percent of corn grown in the United States is converted to ethanol, replacing just 1.72 percent of gasoline usage. Even if all the remaining corn were converted to ethanol, the total ethanol would only offset 12 percent of gasoline. The entire soybean crop would replace a much smaller proportion of transportation fuels--only 6 percent of current diesel usage, which itself amounts to a tiny fraction of gasoline usage."</blockquote>

I don't think that biofuel is the answer.

Mike

13. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Think about this one. Ethanol use crops that people eat and feed to animals for food. So if we burn it in our vehicles what is going to happen to the price of that food product.

14. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

A real gas war would be everybody dumping low-mpg vehicles. Half the vehicles we buy in this country each year get under 20 mpg. Talk about supporting terrorists and oil execs! If we all bought 35-40-mpg cars and over-inflated our tires a couple of pounds we'd save 50% on our gas bills and pretty much not need any imported oil. We want to whine about gas prices (regular's $3.30 in Seattle,) but we don't really care enough to do a thing about it. Phil E

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's a novel idea.

Use less gas.

16. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Mac V and Mastergunner,

I'd do a little research before you make comments like the ones above.

I don't know that ethanol is the answer but I have done a little research and know that when corn is used (corn is the least efficient source) only the starch is extracted. You still get the same amount of corn oil, corn meal and other corn by products. I’d do a little reading before you totally knock down ethanol. Yes if you use an ear of corn to make fuel, you can not use it for corn on the cob, but you can use the corn meal that remains in cattle feed or for bread and cereal products and you still get the same amount of corn oil.

Ethanol and Bio Diesel, will probably never replace petroleum based fuel, but every thing we can do (even minor) to help us lessen our need for middle east oil is a good thing. Not just because of price but primarily as a matter of national security. For that reason alone you should be a little easier on the bio-fuel industry.

17. Mac V

Mac V Guest

cdconley said:

<blockquote>"Mac V and Mastergunner,

I'd do a little research before you make comments like the ones above."</blockquote>

Hey cd, I did do a "little research" on the subject, and I didn't "make" a comment, I reported one. How do you think I found the quote I posted? If you want to read the whole article for yourself, here's the link: Ethanlo Fuel Presents Cornundrum

With corn being a major export crop, what's going to happen to the income from exporting if we keep it all and turn it into something else?

And I didn't post the references that show that the burning of methanol actually produces more but different pollutants than the burning of gasoline. Do you want those too??

Mike

18. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

We had a gas war in the hunting camp, beans & franks for dinner, had to open the windows. Oops wrong kind of gas.

Tom R.

19. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Mike or Mac V,

I don’t need to get into a pissing contest with you. It’s obvoius that you are agaist alternative fuels, nomatter what the alterantive means to national security. Yes, you did post a clip from something you read but also said “That's good...eventually we'll all have the choice between eating and driving because there isn't enough corn and soybeans grown in this country to make a significant dent in today's fuel demands.” Below I have copied information that might be beneficial to some that think, as you do, that if corn is used for fuel it can’t be used for food or feed. That’s as far from the truth as you can be. But again, for some, like yourself, the facts will not get in the way of your predetermined thoughts. The reality is that we must find a way to become oil independent for national security reasons. Ethanol and Bio diesel are two areas that are readily available and should be utilized. You know one thing that doesn’t add up in your article is that currently 10-15% of the content in your gas tank is made up of bio-fuel, we have no pure petroleum oil gas at the pump today. So going from a fuel of 15% ethanol to one of 85% ethanol might not be that bad.

Distillers Grain
    Distillers grain is an important co-product of drymill ethanol production. Drymill ethanol production process uses only the starch portion of the corn, which is about 70% of the kernel. All the remaining nutrients - protein, fat, minerals, and vitamins - are concentrated into distillers grain, a valuable feed for livestock. A bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds and will produce at least 2.8 gallons of ethanol and 17 pounds of distillers grain.
    Distillers grain can be fed to livestock wet or dry. Dried distillers grain (DDG) is the most common variety. Drying the distillers grain increases its shelf life and improves its ability to be transported over longer distances. If a consistent nearby market can be secured, ethanol producers can supply the feed as wet distillers grain (WDG). The wet form is not as easily transportable, but the cost of drying the product is removed.
    Dried distillers grain with solubles (DDGS) is the form available to the feed industry. The liquid that is separated from the mash during the distilling process is partially dehydrated into a syrup, then added back onto the dried distillers grain to create DDGS.
    DDGS is a high quality feedstuff ration for dairy cattle, beef cattle, swine, poultry, and aquaculture. The feed is an economical partial replacement for corn, soybean meal, and dicalcium phosphate in livestock and poultry feeds. Historically, over 85% of DDGS has been fed to dairy and beef cattle, and DDGS continues to be an excellent, economical feed ingredient for use in ruminant diets.

20. oz

oz Active Member

you can make ethanol out of garbage. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.