1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crazy times in Michigan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have an acquaintance here in MI that I occasionally squad up with on practice and league shoots. The other day he showed me his card to legally use marijuana. As you know, Michigan has the medical marijuana thing..He claims it helps with his gout. I don't know if I'm comfortable with being around him with a loaded weapon. Would I be within my rights to politely decline shooting with him? Don't really know how to handle this deal. Maybe I should figure it's like any other painkiller and just forget about it. any comments? Bill

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Same or worse than being drunk, depends on the use or abuse of each. But then painkillers can do the same or worse. You have to be straight on the line, no way around it. But as you mentioned treated as another pain killer should not be your view of him. Everyone knows 99% of the cards are used to get a buzz legally.

CM

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

He would still be violating ATA/MTA rules...

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well if the guy was smoking a joint right before taking the line or while shooting I wouldn't shoot with him. Yeah you are within your rights not to shoot with anybody you don't want to. Don't want to shoot with anybody whom just popped a couple of Vicodins or Loritabs either.

In the flying world the rule with drinking is - "8 hours from bottle to throttle"

Don't know what the rule is when it come to marijuana and shooting. "8 hours from smoking a joint to snapping a cap?"

5. BigM-Perazzi

2. It is the responsibility and the required duty of Shoot Management to immediately remove and disqualify any contestant at any time during an ATA sanctioned tournament: a. who is under the obvious influence of alcohol or drugs before starting or during any event, sub-event, shoot-off or practice, or who consumes any alcoholic beverage or drugs during participation in any event, sub event or between events or sub events held on the same day including shoot-offs and practice. For purposes of this rule, “drugs” shall mean any illegal drug, and shall also mean any prescription medication if that prescription medication affects the judgment or conduct of the contestant to a degree that renders the contestant incapable of safely participating in the sport of trapshooting, whether during a registered event and/or tournament or practice; or b. who handles a gun dangerously on or off the firing line, or c. who deliberately or carelessly violates gun safety precautions, Official Rules regarding safety, or in any manner endangers

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"ATF memo says medical marijuana patients can’t have guns."

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Probably the biggest mistake (there were MANY) that Governor Granholm ever made. This law is seriously abused and there are so called Doctors that will prescribe pot to ANYONE. I know of many young people that have their cards and there isn't a damn thing wrong with them. It's disgusting. You can say what you want, but pot is a gateway drug and opens the door for much more serious drug abuse such as Rx pills and opiates. Raising Kids is tough enough and then they pass laws like these???

It's a HUGE problem in Michigan and once the Genie is out of the bottle, you're not getting him back in.

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Is that the same ATF that was involved in WACO and RUBY RIDGE?

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sigh...wasn't trapshooting a lot more fun when you didn't have to worry about this crap?

10. BigM-Perazzi

Yeah buzz, when the swaying muzzles would knock the glass Jack Daniels off the shell stand and shatter on the concrete. Yeah, I liked that a lot better....

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

BigM, I miss the keg shoots. You know the ones where one club would challenge another club. Losing club paid for the keg.

12. BigM-Perazzi

Bisi, now THAT's worth shooting for!!!

13. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

owning a firearm as a registered medical pothead is illegal federal law!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Tron....dude.

Michelob Ultra is the gateway drug that leads to reefer madness which leads to trapper snapper and snazzy sneakers. Also, the pheasant tempura is burning, dude. Has anyone seen Johnny???

True fact...you can have a Medical Marijuana Card and never touch the stuff. But possession of the card in and of itself is considered prima fascia evidence that makes one a person prohibited from owning a firearm. It is the only such legal paradox in all the land.

Personally, I lean Libertarian. Some guys drink, some guys smoke, some are addicted to religion. Everything in moderation...including moderation...so long as you don't get any on your fellow man, live your life the way you want to live it.

Bars still have parking lots, after all.

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

wouldn't that be "e-z wider" times in michigan?

16. BigM-Perazzi

no quartering, that was the gay coalition assembly...

17. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Crazy times.....everywhere..........

GS

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

After reading 7 Mary 3's post...I think I know who's been shooting the backs off the traphouses.

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

Back in the day I knew a few shooters who would have a pop or two before shooting and one guy who used to chug Mountain Dew because it had more caffine than any other soft drink. Probably lots of shooters were prescribed tranquilizers. Unfortunately, none of that ever did much good for me, except I didn't shoot well and didn't care. I quickly got over that. I never saw any one I thought was a danger, but maybe some were and I didn't notice. In the paper target games, booze used to be known as "old group tightener". I would say that things are better now than then.

20. cnsane

cnsane Member

I love the fact that people with no first-hand experience are able to repeat all these interesting things that the Govt. told them about drugs. Alcohol is much worse in many ways and smoking enough nicotine will make your head spin till you stumble and puke. But enough useless facts, let's get back to the hypocrasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.