1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy idea about making a stock- need advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Greetings,

I have a crazy idea (well, I am a trapshooter) about making a mold out of, say, a Model 12 stock, tweaking the mold for LOP, drops, palm swell, or whatever, and filling the mold with Bondo or something epoxy or whatever.

My questions are: has anyone tried this and would the Bondo or whatever be able to withstand the repeated recoil?

What about these so-called 3-D printers? Is the plastic used there tough enough for trapshooting?

LA in MA (still crazy after all these years)

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bondo is heavy and it cracks in thick layers.

Why not just glue on pieces of walnut and shape them, since obviously you intend to finish it with something other than stain.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've made ABS plastic parts using a 3D printer and they are indeed pretty strong and tough. But I wouldn't want a gunstock made of it. Just seems cheap. It's not inexpensive either and you need to create the CAD model in 3D first, which isn't exactly like using Microsoft Word.

-Gary

4. hacker

hacker Well-Known Member

Bondo is not the way to go. Very poor idea. It is pretty easy to make stocks out of steel and fiberglass, if you can weld. You could also make stocks out of fiber glass pretty easy if you have much skill working with it. You do things
    like wrap the gun in saran wrap and lay layers of glass on it. You can use various steel conduit to make magazine channels that can be overlayed with fiberglass, and you can use foam bought at hobby stores to make rough shapes
    that you over lay with fiberglass layers. You can shape the foam with 60 grit
    sand paper almost instantly to get your shape right, things like that. It is not too hard to do, but just requires the knowledge and skill to implement it.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've taken several wood stocks and 'molded' them to fit me by adding bondo. it worked well. Sand the wood where you intend to add the bondo and shape a new form out of cardboard from a cereal box. When you get the 'mini mold' just the right shape, cut a piece of plastic for the side that will touch the bondo. This way you can take the mold away from the bondo without the cardboard sticking to the bondo. I used plastic report sleeves the kids use in school. Then use masking tape to hold the whole thing to the wood, mix an pour. For really big build ups, you might have to pour more than once. Bondo is plenty strong and you can file it easily and paint it when done.

Here's a couple of example pictures.

joekuhn_2008_030316.jpg

joekuhn_2008_03032.jpg

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Nice job!

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

Joe Kuhn, Use the body filler with the fiberglass "hair" in it. It is a little harder to file than regular Bondo, but much stronger. It too sands nice and smooth and takes paint well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.