1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Craziest accident I ever head of

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Hum....guess that's possible, but wouldn't think the empty case would be even close to enough mass to set off a live primer.

Note to self, close the ammo box :)

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I will post for you, email sent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I don't believe it.

Like vpr80, I find it hard to believe that an empty can bouce off of a surface, change directions and have enough energy to hit a primer hard enough to set it off.

I also don't believe that "IF" it ever could happen, that the primer launched from the live round in the shell box.

What I would believe "IF" I believed the empty case struck the primer, is that the whole case blew off and left the bullet laying in the bottom of the shell box.

AND, if you try to tell me the round shot a hole thru the bench top, I would just shake my head, smile, and say, OK if that is what you believe.

Hatchers notebook has several tests with pictures of un contained rounds that have exploded, on purpose, and they were not that dramatic. They were also 30-06 ammo.

OB

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I believe it, mass is not the only factor, velocity make a difference too. I've seen a factory 12 gauge buckshot load go off when dropped onto a rocky surface, no harm other than a scare.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have seen this aswell. The case was split and the bullet was lodged in the wooden bench. The primer stayed intact with the casing. No one even realized this happened until the shooter went to reload his next magazine.

I also keep my ammo boxed up till I need to reload just because of this. Sorry I don't have any pic's of the occurance I witnessed. I don't make it a habbit to carry my camera to the range.

ss

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

A friend of mine told his wife that he helped a guy change a tire and the guy gave him a 30 carbine for helping him. His wife believed it, I didn't

jim brown

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember listening to Paul Harvey one day(pre Rest-of-the-Story days) when he told a tale of a hunter who had a round go off in his shirt pocket resulting in his demise. Hard a hard time believing that one.

Also, there was an article in Gun Digest where they were detonating centerfire rifle rounds with a soldering iron to determine what damage would occur. They would lay a bar of Fels-Naptha bar soap under the round, plug in the soldering iron (that was touching the primer) and back off. The exploding round would just barely dent the bars of soap.

I guess anything's possible.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

cubancigar2000 posted the pics.

but Bob makes a good point, why would the primer pop out?

also why is that case so dented? i would not expect it to dent inside like that if it went off in an unenclosed space.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It sounds hard to believe but O.P. seems straight-up, so I buy it.

We've probably all witnessed a few things that we wouldn't have believed if we hadn't seen it ourselves. I know I certainly have.

-Gary

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I would like to know what model 1911 ejects with that much velocity to cause this, esp after changing directions after hitting the roof!? Tom Rhoads

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

always happens when someone is showing some newbie gun handling safety. keep things in order, box lid shut

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Weird things can and do happen that seems out of the reality realm. I'd guess the case was dented hitting the roof structure too. The live load set off might be dependent of the box the round was housed in too? Imagine an ammo box milled out of aluminum? Wouldn't that also act as a chamber? Just when we think we've seen or know it all, we find out we don't?

Thanks for sharing the story!

Hap

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In the old days of the diesel submarine service, boats had a rather pointed bow with a great fwd protusion called a bull nose.

Well, parking at the end of the pier was done by rank, with the CO, XO, getting the prime spots.

A junior officer was docking the boat & tried to be real cool, but didn't order a backing bell quick enough & the bow of the boat took out the XO's car.

How would you like to be the Allstate claims rep, saying I got a call, that a car was just hit by a submarine.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Ohio Bob--right on, I'm in your camp.

I don't beleive it either.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

BS BS BS BS. Troll. Sorry but NO.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I was at a big multi-day shoot that had a room deal with a really nice hotel. This was a plush hotel with an eight story atrium rising from the lobby.

When I left the shoot I absent mindedly put a .410 shell in the breast pocket of my shirt. As I entered the lobby and walked to the elevators, many stories above a wife and her husband were having a domestic dispute. She was in a rage. When she started throwing things he decided it was time to get out of Dodge.

As he dodged through the door she threw a Gideon Bible at him as her final round. He ducked, and it missed him, but it flew over balcony and fell the eight stories to the lobby and hit me in the chest. It knocked me unconscious. They took me to the emergency room, and I recovered fully. But the Doctor told me I was really lucky. If it wasn't for the bullet in my pocket, I would have probably been killed by that Bible. ;-)

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Let's call Mythbusters.....

SW

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those pics don't prove a damn thing. There are numerous holes in that ceiling and the spent case looks like it was caught by the slide. I had an auto that use to catch the spent cases and dent them just like that. It likely caught the spent case and that pressure popped the primer out. I'm calling BS too. Hell all the evidence is there to prove the story as BS. I saw none to prove the story true.

Matt

19. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I wonder, if by whatever cause a crimped cartridge detonates what would it expel first a 230 gr crimped in bullet or the primer? Where would they end up.........who the f--- can say! Jim

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'll betcha my FN FAL could do that. It's the nastiest brass flinger I've ever seen. I dented up a friend's pickup truck with empty .308 cases from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.