1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crappy one ounce green dot loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary Waalkes, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

today I was shooting in the rain at Millington Md, temp about 58 degrees and I was shooting my crummy 1 ounce of 8 1/2s powered with green dot for the singles event this morning. Best I could do was 100. I guess I should have used the advice of the loadmasters on TS.com. Probably would have hit a couple more.

The purpose for this thread is to provide a reminder from this winter when the know-it-alls here on TS climbed all over me for loading Green Dot in a one ounce singles load. the name of the thread was ??? Green Dot Recipe??? If you are looking for a load to help you pick up a 16 yard target, you might be looking for a long time.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey Gary...remember the adage about "Opinions"....

Certainly fits here on this forum.

Curt

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You learned a lession, I guess. Although, I'm not sure of what you learned, or maybe just lucky..........

4. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesnt sound from the tone of his post he learned a lesson
    But if you can shoot 100 straight I guess you told them
    Even though 100 straight isnt that rare anymore
    It is good shooting but not rare..

Good luck...

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good shootin Gary! Most all of my guns have standard bores and cones, a few have extended cones. I've used Green Dot in one ounce loads and enjoyed the same success as you, in some of my guns but not in all. I have an oversized 1100 bore that my 1 ounce GD loads don't work worth a hoot in. Like everything else in shotgunning, smileage varies. I hope I like my Green Dot powder loads too, I only have about 40 pounds left? Hap

Tattooseitz thanked this.
  6. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

a guy from my home club shot 1 and 1/8 th oz. loads in his first registered shoot today. he got them all. i'm not going to try and talk him into 1oz loads tho. milt luther

7. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

maybe you should use 7/8 oz. loads milt luther

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you mix red dot and green dot together do you get brown dot? HMB

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The brown "dots" will be in your shorts!

AndyH ;-)

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

ha ha andy that was good

11. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Gary,
    Check PM

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

From the above post mentioning mixing Red Dot and Green Dot together. I sell reloading components. I was @ a shoot vending a year ago, and I had some Clay Dot for sale. A guy walked up, and asked what is Clay Dot. I informed him that was a powder developed by Alliant with a clay target shooter in mind. It had a burn rate between Red Dot and Green Dot in my opinion. He stated, "Well I have been doing that for years". I asked "what"? He said, "I load on a MEC. I fill half the powder bottle with Red Dot, half the bottle with Green Dot, and shake it up and load." I made sure I saw his face good because I didn't want to shoot next to him. This is a true story!

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises

13. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Green dot in 1 oz load is garbage as many have proven!! I witnessed danny56 Smoke clays as hard as anyone today shooting those lame 18gr loads of green dot. Junk!!

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

I like to use 21 gn of greendot for 1oz loads which chronographed at 1290 for all diciplines. It burns fairly clean and the recoil is really light.

Jim

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Otnot is onto somoething... 1290. learn it, use it, and believe it. Speed kills. (targets)

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great shooting Gary! I think I heard someone say that Green Dot only works with 1oz in the rain. :) At least you didn't have to deal with the sunlight in your eyes.

I've used a similar GD load for 1oz and use a lot of Green Dot for Handicaps, when the score counts. I don't use the Remington or Cheddite primers, since it will send flames out of the ejection port at night on my auto with certain powders, of which Green Dot is one. Winchester or Federal primers have resolved that issue and work well in cold temps. 19.0 - 19.5 grains of Green Dot, TGT12 Wad, 1 oz hard 8's or 8 1/2's, Federal or Winchester primer, Remington hull. That load does the trick for 16s, doubles, and shorter yardages. 19.5 - 20.0 grains of Green Dot, Fig 8 Wad, Winchester 209 primer, Remington Hull, 1 1/8 oz of either 8 or 7 1/2 hard shot for caps and cold weather. For practice, the 1oz loads might get Promo for cost.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is very possible to shoot a good score with less than the best possible loads.

Yesterday, I shot a 97 with AA shells. My friend Billy M. shot 100 with reloads and Ted C. shot a 99 with Reo shells. These results do not reflect the effectiveness of the shells we used.

Pat Ireland

18. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

The proof is in the puddin'. I firmly believe confidence in your loads alone will break a few more birds.

But in trap, it's the Indian and not the arrow. If you are pointing in the correct place with the proper choke for the distance when the gun goes bang, the target will break with just about any load.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LOL@PAT. "It is very possible to shoot a good score with less than the best possible loads."

Billy M. saved several bucks in the process too I would think? AAs were near 8 bucks a pop last time I inquired?

Quite possibly, Billy M.s reloads have better standard deviation numbers than the new AAs and Rios?? More consistent loads shot to shot?

Pat my friend, maybe you just thought your new shells were superior? :)

Hap

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland

You might want to pattern some of the 1oz Green Dot loads like the ones Gary shoots. I've seen him shoot and I'm sure you could put "garbage" shells in his gun and he'd do just as well. He's a great shot. I use a similar load, since it surprised me at how well it patterned when I tried it years ago. It also cycles well in my gaspipe and is light enough to keep me in the gun. I'd just like to shoot as well as Gary on occasion. I use Green Dot for my Caps loads also, with 1 1/8 oz shot. I do switch to promo for practice with the 1oz loads, but Green Dot is in there when it counts. You just need to load it to a high enough pressure to burn properly. You shouldn't load it too light or use a weak primer, since that can give you trouble. Don't ask what I shoot at the back fence, since that might be a "Unique" combination.

The main reasons for me using the 1oz is that they work and they are light enough for me to shoot regularly. I have had some surgeries over the last several years that prevent me from shooting a lot of the heavier loads for too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crappy green dot load

green dot for 1 ounce