1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crank & cam ?????? tecumsen eng.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Sheared oft shaft that runs trans, part unavailable but it's been a great work horse. so I through I'd remove cover and weld new end on it. in my haste I didn't pay attention, turns out that on the other side of gear shaft also is the cam. how do i line up cam and crank so it with run? there's a hole on gear on cam but no markings on crank gear that I can find. Help!!!!!

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

You need half-mile's help. He helped me alot with mine. What's your engine mounted on? A snowblower?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There should be a Dimple in the Outer Edge of the Cam Gear in Line with a Gap Between the Teeth and the Crankshaft Gear should have a Mark that is On a Tooth that is Aligned to Match the Location of the Dimple on the Cam Gear.

If you welded over the mark it will be a problem. The engine at TDC should be in the overlap stage of valve timing if there is any overlap. However, I don't know if this is the case. At any rate the exhaust valve should close at or slightly after TDC, and the intake opens at or a little before.

There are still a lot of Tecumseh resources out there, Google might help.

HM

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Second HM's proceedure. If no marks available position the cam at overlap with crank at TDC. Have done many that way and it will work.

Jim

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If it's off by even a tooth, you'll know you have to reset it. Very poor power if incorrect. Good luck.

6. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Cleaned parts again found in front of hole in gear cam a faint line, looked at crank gear and finally found small dimple. shaft broke just out side cover, have slotted cam shaft end and found bolt same size as shaft and put step on end to fit in shaft. after it's been welded and ground going to heat new end up and quench to give it some strength. "Thanks to all and halfmile" Hope it works it's been very reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.