1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crane cams.....Gone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Beretta Blue, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

For all you "gear heads" I thought I'd never see the day, but Crane cams is out of business. Years ago I took the tour of their facility during speed weeks. I was amazed at the variety of cam shafts they made. Cams for airplane motors, Diesel trucks you name it, they looked completly diversified. A piece of my "hot odding past" is gone.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

they had been bought out a couple of years ago and added about 32 million of updates after the purchase. they have reopened either now or close to now.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I think I still have a piece of a camshaft, Crane, that came out of a very nasty small block drag engine. It seems there is a limitation on just how many rpm's you can turn a small block Chevy . You can't fathom the damage done when an engine comes unplugged at 10,000 rpm's. No it wasn't the cam, but one of the Bill Miller aluminum rods that gave way. I think I salvaged the carb from that engine and that was it.

ec90t

4. atashooter

atashooter Member

I was a Crane freak. I loved their Fireball cams. Geez, well, put Crane in the fond memory file with Moon wheel covers.

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks for reminding me. I sent some numbers off of a Lunati cam to Lunati a few weeks ago and they never got back to me.

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The John Partridge shown on this website for Bullet cams is a trapshooter who worked for years for Lunati. I used to visit with him at the Grand in Vandalia every year. A good guy. If you are into racing engines you should give him a call. Jimmy Borum

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Agreed Mr Patridge is a very good guy! We shoot with him often in Memphis and have visited with him at the Grand.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Comp Cams, more lift and lots or power when you put it in a HEMI ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    atashooter, my favorite cam was the Crane Fireball. I still remember the specs:<br>
    <br>
    Split duration - 304 instake, 314 exhaust, .586 lift. I ran it in my Ford FE 390 GT and 428 Cobra Jet engines. I advanced the cam 4 degrees, and got tremendous low end torque. Either motor with 3.50 gears would light the tires up shifting into any gear.<br>
    <br>
    I still have a 428 Cobra Jet that I'd love to drop a Fireball into. And a 427 Side Oiler medium Riser in the crate, but probably stay with the a Ford factory spec 314/314/.600 cam run straight up.

11. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I'm running a Crane cam now in my 35 Ford.

12. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Brian, would you be interested in a 406 complete in the crate. Came out of an old Western Auto store outside of Winston-Salem, NC. $3200+shipping.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    nspktr1, I would have been back in the 1980's. I was into racing and bought, sold and traded Ford FE engines. Right now I'm just trying to come up with $300 to get a lifetime NRA membership on a special deal they have. Deadline is the end of March, and it looks like I'm gunna miss it.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe Bruce Crower is still alive and well and very hands on in racing. Comp cams got the job done for me with a 268 single pattern in a Chevy small block. But at my advanced age, I only have a couple of "Aging Yuppie Vehicles"; a Duramax and an Infiniti G car. "Thems gots computers and warranties"...darn, I miss having a small block Chevy or Ford something around to remind me of a simpler time.

15. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Harvey Crane was the real deal, as was Isky and Crower. These guys made life in the late 50's and 60's a lot of fun.

I recently finished the book by Smokey Yunick that was the best book I have read in a long, long time. It's released by Carbon Press and named "the best damm garage in town" I believe Chango2 bought it, I hope you like it as I did Dave.

Tom Strunk

16. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Same thing happened to BoMar sights. Out of business, which is a shame.

17. atashooter

atashooter Member

Brian, you are right 4 degrees adv. on a Fireball was the key. I did the same thing. Why they just didn't grind it that way beats me...

18. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

Latest word is "Scorpion Performance" is looking to buy Crane. Scorpion makes roller rockers in Fort Lauderdale. I've toured the facility, Rob has everything that can be automated, automated. He has state of the art CNC machines. The only time a human hand touchs the billit rocker blank is when it's mounted on the jig. If you buy "Summit" brand roller rockers........They come from Scorpion, same for many other "house brands." Jack

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi Tom Strunk,

Yes I sure did buy the Smokey book and have read about 2/3rds of it skipping around. Very enjoyable and informative.

Ed Iskendarian is still around and live and well. I met him, the "Camfather" at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles about three years go when the museum was holding a premier and talk with the producer of the movie, "World's Fastest Indian"..Isky had a hand in sponsoring that unsuual Bonneville streamlined motorcycle. Isky was very approachable and friendly without any pretense.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I like a lot of that Summit brand stuff. It's pretty funny when you pull up pics of something and the name brand is 25% more than the Summit stuff, yet they are identical pieces. I wish that they had their ignition stuff out before I paid for Mallory stuff, because it is Mallory stuff!!

Another one of the good guys is Barry Grant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

390 fireball cam

crane 296 fireball cam 390

crane cams out of business

crane fireball cam ford fe

crane fireball camshaft specs small block ford

ford 390 fireball cam