1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cramp in hand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

need help !! After shooting a round of clays my left hand starts cramping up ,Am i holding the gun too tight and if i am where do a hold the forearm in the front or rear .Thanks

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If it doesn't happen when you shoot trap, there is probably a message there.

3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Assuming you are right-handed my guess would be you have a death grip on the forearm. Your "off" hand is not able to maintain a strength grip like your strong hand can and that is probably where the cramping is coming from. You should be getting the strength for your mount from your right hand (again assuming you are right-handed) and using your left hand for support.

Wander on up to the trap field and shoot a round with your left hand palm up and the gun just resting on it to give yourself the idea of what it feels like. Yeah it'll jump around on you a bit but not as much as you think. This should be enough mental training to let your left hand go back to doing it's job and getting your right hand to start doing its job.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and break 'em all...

Greg

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Could be the result of medication you take. Wife had that problem and started taking a magnesium and potassium supplement and the cramping went away. HMB

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Pick up the gun by the forearm with your left hand only. This is about the right amount of grip pressure you should use when mounting and moving the gun. Some use less, some more but this is a good starting place....SMOKIT

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

How old are you? What type of work do you do? How long have you been shooting? Has this just started or always been occuring?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Obviously you are not exercising that hand enough.

HM

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

tuck your ring and little finger on your left hand under the stock, this will prevent you from using too tight a grip.

tony

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try potassium tablets, or eat bananas, I had that problem with RH drawing up the finger next to pinky, hurts like hell. This is also a heredity problem for people around Ireland descent. Hold your fingers straight out, is your finger next to pinky a little lower than the rest, and does your palm have a ridge in it between middle finger and the one next to pinky?

If so it is a heredity problem, but Potassium will help.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. JPM

JPM Member

Try drinking between 64 and 100 ounces of water per day and see if this problem goes away. I'm guessing that it will. The American public is chronically under hydrated. Underhydration will routinely cause muscle cramping. Medication (as mentioned above) is also a likely culprit, especially if you are taking a statin drug.

JPM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.