1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Craftsman socket set

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just got back from doing a little Christman shopping. Stopped by Sears because the parking lot was empty, thought I wouldn't have to fight the crowd there, and I didn't.

Well anyway I ended up buying a couple of socket sets, for myself. I don't need tools, got more than I know what to do with now, but dam I thought this was a deal. I got a 10 pc. socket set: 3/8" drive ratchet with 9 sockets and a little case for $9.99. I picked up couple in both metric and US sockets. I figured I could slid em under the seat of the trucks and use em for working on the chainsaw or something like that in the field.

They are "Craftsman" made in the good old USA. I thought it was a heck of a deal. Years ago a 3/8 ratchet cost more than that alone. I probably got 25 ratchets around here Cratsman, Snap on, etc... so I don't know why I purchased it other than I thought it was a deal.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Is one set in a black case and other in a grey case? I have those and they are worth the money for sure.

GneJ

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good eye.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The one I'm looking at now is metric and the case is grey. Already put the others in the truck.

I've seen cheaper Chinese crap at HD, but this is a quality set.

5. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Craftsmans warranty out here in so cal ***ks.
    The store will NOT exchange ,they take your broken one and mail you
    a new one!!

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Craftsman hand tools are being made in America again? Are you sure? If so I might get some more. I stopped when they started having them made overseas. Cripes I can go to Harbor Freight for import tools.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Harbor frieght will tell ya to go fly a kite, Sears replaces them no questions asked.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Brian, the sockets have "Made in USA" stamped on em, and the ratchet "U.S.A.". The little carrying case says "Made in USA".

Frank, good idea, think I'll put a set in the ATV.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You have to be really careful these days with the Craftsman product line. Many of their hand tools are still made in the USA and you have to be sure it says so on the box. They are a great value, but please don't put them in the same sentence as Snap On. ALL their power tools are made overseas and most of their Craftsman lawn and other power equipment have Chinese engines that are nearly imposible to get parts for after just a COUPLE of years!

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I received these as a gift @ a Christmas party last Friday. The rules on buying was that pricing had to be under $15.00. I was shocked @ the deal.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I don't know if Sears is still doing it but at the start of the wars in Afganistan and Iraq the Sears people would pay the difference of the loss in wages their employees incurred while being deployed in the reserves or guard. I have used them for what tools I have purchased since hearing that. Dan

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I predict that Sears will be finished within just a couple of more years. Another sign of the times.

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Sears may not be around long. Sears Holding Corporation also owns K-Mart, a declining store chain in our neck of the woods. Their ownership of Lands End certainly has not helped Lands End.

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I wonder what happened to the "Roebuck" name.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, Roebuck let Sears buy him out for $20,000.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bisi, it's Man Rule #1 you can never have too many tools, but Man Rule #2 is you can never find the right one no matter how many you have

Sounds like a good deal, I was cleaning out the shops, and trying to make a complete set of tools for each shop, I have 5 shops on the farm, and ended up with 4 five gallon buckets full of just sockets

But here's the mystery question, what in the world does a 25/32 socket fit? They always used to include them in most sets, and I have never needed that size

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 25/32" is for garfed up 3/4" lug nuts - or 3/4" lug nuts that you want to garf up. Actually I haven't found a use for that one either.

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Some craftsman tools are Chinese made. I took in a broken vice grip which was USA made, I walked out with a MADE IN CHINA vice grip... Didn't really want to, but the broken pair was just an ugly paperweight otherwise.

19. TC

TC TS Member

Not all socket sets come with the 25/32 socket. Remember my Dad driving all over half the state looking for one. Think it was for a specific bolt on a John Deere if I remember corectly.

Don't forget the 9/64 allen wrench. Not found in most sets. You will need one for a Ljutic.

Irwin bought out Petersen who was the original manufacturer of the "Vise-Grip". Then closed the factory, and moved the manufacturing to China.

20. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I took a Craftsman 1/2" breakover handle in the other day with the head broken and the handle bent at about 45 degree. Obvious use of a cheater. No questions asked. Try that with a Snap-on. My dad was a Snap-on dealer severaly years ago. Jimmy Borum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.