1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Craftsman drill bit

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm working on a project which requires me to drill about 150 holes in 1/4 inch steel. I can't get the material into the shop to use the drill press, and I haven't used the torch in 15 years, so I decided to drill em with a 1/2 inch hand drill.

Last weekend I picked up a "Rigid" cobalt drill set at "Home Depot". Monday night after work I started to drill a few holes. It was slow, started with a small pilot hole then went to the 3/8 cobalt drill. Got about 15 holes that night then I broke the drill bit. Tuesday or Wen was driving by an "Ace Hardware" store and purchased a new 3/8 "Irvin" cobalt drill bit. Paid dearly for it. Well it was slow going too.

Last night, just to get out of the house I went to Sears to look at tools. (That's what I do, when I'm bored) Well anyway I purchased 1 of their "Craftsman" 3/8 inch cobalt drill bits. Man will that thing cut. I got all my holes drilled today, and just because I was on a roll - drilled more than I needed. That thing looks the same as the "Home Depot" and "Ace Hardware" bit, all are cobalts but there is just no comparision. The "Craftsman" cut through the steel like it is wood. It made me happy.

Funny isn't it how a small thing like a drill bit will make you happy. I have really been depressed - mainly because the commies are taking over this country and health care. Thursday night I was going to watch some NCAA basketball, and even there on that broadcast I had to hear about Obama and his picks for the tourney. Off the TV went. Isn't there anything Ojackass doesn't want to insert himself into?

Well anyway, finding a quality drill bit - brighten my weekend.

I'm not a machinst - so I'm sure somebody will come on here and tell me the "Craftsman" drill bit I got is total junk, and I got screwed - should of brough an (fill in the blank) fron an industrial warehouse. Well it got my mind off of Ojackass and the commies for a while. So I got my moneys worth.

2. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Thanks for posting that. Good to know info.
    Regards, Pete

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Now boy, thatsa buncha holes! Hand drill, geeeez you are tough!

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I hear ya, Bisi:

Good post. Maybe we should call it "workshop therapy."

It's great to stay informed about politics etc., but with the direction our country is currently going it's great to occasionally avoid all media and just spend the weekend in the workshop. This helps you avoid the sickening reality of what our "leaders" are doing to us, occupies the mind with something creative, and often results in a useful product at the end.

I'm fortunate to have just bought a new Delta tablesaw with a Biesemeyer fence, so I'm looking forward to a little workshop therapy myself. Aaaaah, I love the smell of freshly sawn walnut in the morning!

-Gary

5. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Gary;

Yea - I'm with you. if you really want to smell something special, cut some sassafras. Worth buying and cutting just for the smell.

Larry

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Larry:

Hmmm, I've worked with a quite a few exotic woods but never sassafras. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look up what kind of project I could try that on.

Incidentally, I wear a dust respirator, especially for exotic woods, because some of them can be pretty tough on the ol' lungs. Even Walnut bothers me if I get too much of it in the air. When I get my woodshop finished I really need to put in a dust collection system. I do love the smells of woodworking though. I rank walnut's smell one notch above Hoppe's No. 9. Both create a warm nostalgic feeling for me. Silly, huh?

-Gary

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

Sassafras makes great tea!

8. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Gary;

Walnut has become my first choice for everything. I just love how it works, how it takes a finish, how it smells, how it looks, and the price compared to other species. I also like closed grain woods in general.

Sassafras is a lot like oak in it's workability, and it's not quite as opened grained as oak, but more than walnut. That smell though - just nothing like it....

Larry

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bisi,

there is nothing like the perfect tool for the job at hand. Finding it makes you smile at the task at hand.

As far as wood smell, I get all excited about spliting wild cherry. The way it splits and the smell of it makes me fly through the stuff.

On the other end of the spectrum, cutting into pig hickory will get your sinuses cleared in a hurry. There is a reason this stuff has the name it has!

ss

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I personally prefer the smell of a cutting oil called "Tap Magic". The first cutting oil I've ever smelled that has kind of a fruity smell, makes drilling holes in aluminum or steel that much more fun.

In my experience as a machinist, most cheaper drill bits are junk. They wear quickly, don't cut right, and for the most part, never even start out sharp. If I had to drill that many holes, I probably would have went with a higher quality American made brand like "Precision". But, the Craftsman worked well for you and that's all that matters. <BR><BR>

Josh

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've been buying shop equipment from craigslist lately. I bought a beautiful older Sears band saw with the doubler so you can slow it to 1/2 speed for metal cutting, already on it, for 55$. Then I got a beautiful older Sears scroll saw with a bunch of new blades for 25$. Last night I snagged this awsome old Delta bench grinder, as old as me, originally owned by a model maker for Boeing, and in storage ever since, with a big box of extra wheels and so on, for 60$. It weighs 50 or 60 pounds. 3500 RPM and runs like it means it, perfect condition. Man I love having nice tools, and right now a lot of people are dumping stuff.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=TOOLS002Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

I just bought a new set of drill bits. Searched till I found some American made.
    My experience has been that not all drug store bits drill a correct size hole. That may be OK for vent holes, but when one plans to tap said hole, things go better with the correct size hole. I think Sears still sells American bits.
    Wireguy, cool old grinder. I have my uncle's old Millers Falls. It still works well.

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Check out these restored South Bend drill presses for sale on a machinist site I frequent. NICE!
    [​IMG]

14. high 2

high 2 Member

short shucker, I thought I knew a lot about different woods. Never heard of pig hickory. But I do love the smell of Turkish Walnut going through the duplicator. The smell of different woods sure bring back good old memories of my grandfather. He was a cabinet builder and a fine craftsman.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you wood smellers want to get a real high, try smoking rins with Cherry wood

16. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have had little luck buying tools from Home improvement stores.

Their quality just plain sucks.

Its amazing what quality tools are sold at garage sales and usually cheap.

A little cleaning and lubrication usually makes them very usable.

Older is better as seen in the above threads.

Those South Bend presses really got my attention.

Regards.... Gerald

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The South Bends are pretty cool.

Wireguy's Craigslist tip is right on too. I've gotten some amazing deals there, including a beautiful Snap-On roll-cab toolbox for a few hundred bucks plus a Mossberg 500A. One old gentleman even gave me two working lathes for free. He wouldn't take any money, but instead just asked me enough questions to make sure I intended to use them and wasn't planning on reselling them.

-Gary

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

10-4 on the sears drill bits.. I use to have a job in my shop that required thousands of 3/8 holes drilled in 3/4 thick hot roll bars, we went through many different name brand drills, cleveland, morse,etc. and one day we bought a couple of coated drills from sears and beleive it or not they out drilled all the others we had, I have probably bought a pickup load of them, all the holes were drilled on my cnc bridgeport mill so it was a controlled test.. I would sharpen them until they were to short to use..lol..

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Barfin:

What are you doing with all those great old Stanley/Bailey planes?! Some of those are classics. I see a low angle Lie-Nielsen hiding among them -- those are pretty sweet modern day planes.

-Gary

20. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Next time you need to drill some holes, Try one of these drills from Enco

3/8" HSS 135 DG PT SCREW TWIST DRILL TRIUMPH

CUTTING TOOLS DRILLS SCREW MACHINE DRILLS

Screw Machine - Drills Size: 0.3750 In., 3/8 Flute Length: 1.8125 In., 1-13/16 Overall Length: 3-1/8 Finish/Coating: Black Oxide Point AngleĀ°: 135 Point Type: Split
    Size (Inch): 3/8
    Size (Decimal Inch): .3750"
    Flute Length (Inch): 1-13/16
    Flute Length (Decimal Inch): 1.8125"
    Overall Length (Inch): 3-1/8
    Finish/Coating: Black Oxide
    Point AngleĀ°: 135
    Point Type: Split
    Rotation: Right Hand
    Material: HSS
    Drill Grade: Heavy-Duty
    Material Grade: M-7