1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked stock-need help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need help boys! I now have a crack in the wrist of my trap gun and it opens
    easily with slight pressure! It seems to me, several of you on here in the past said that this can be fixed with "superglue"!? If this is true, can you give me some guidance as to brand etc and how I need to do this! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Tom Call me Joe Goldberg 609 231 1898

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

A crack in the wrist of the gun that opens slightly, is a high-risk fracture. Super glue alone will not hold. Will split again north or south of the glue. Needs to be pinned and correctly repaired if possible. Todd

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tom, besides getting the wood back together, fitting it to the receiver properly is next. That portion was taking the brunt of the recoil which caused it to crack in the first place. I like glass bedding to make sure recoil is evenly spread thru-out the wood to metal fit on my tools. Hap

5. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Just had a Browning fixed for the same crack. Got it back and checked it was pinned and glued. Had an old forearm that had a crack as well. I did it myself with gorilla glue and sanding string. I hear dental floss works well to get the glue and water into the crack. Gorilla glue seems to have worked well.

6. tcr1146

Thanks Guys! Joe will take care of the problem for me! Tom Rhoads

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

This sounds like a serious crack that will probably get worse quickly. The proper fix does depend somewhat on the grain in the cracked area. Joe can do a good job and the advice from Hap is also very good. You need to know what caused the crack. This certainly is not a job for super glue.

Pat Ireland

8. George Steffes

George Steffes TS Member

Get a hold of will he will be able to care of your problem.wbsp@maqs.net,he has done great work for me.

George

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Tom I'll E-mail you when the stock gets here.
    Joe

10. tcr1146

Thanks Joe. Good talking to you! Tom Rhoads

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

tcr1146

Just for future refernce, Super glue and Gorilla Snot are NOT good options for a gun you want to shoot. A good epoxy like Brownell's Acra-Glass might work, but it sounds like you have it handled. I'm sure Joe can give you some good advice and get you back together.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have made many custom stocks for modern and antique guns. I have repaired many more stocks. A couple of weeks ago, Joe taught me something new. I will continue to help local shooters with their easy stock repairs, but I would send the hard jobs to him.

Pat Ireland

13. batman38

batman38 TS Member

Good morning Tom, I would like to know what caused the crack in the stock, did the gun embrace the ground by chance or was the cause something else? Have a good day, Bob Batke

14. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

sounds like bob knows about the flying lj.????????????????????

15. gridlock

gridlock Member

Zoltan, Looks like this cracked stock problem needs some further investigation. Whats your take? Was it the due to lack of the "throw down blanket"? Are there any grass stains? or was he just eating to much salad and forgot how strong he was.

16. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Gridlock, I think you have hit the nail on the head with the cracked stock. As most of you know Tom has a reputation for tossing his gun once or twice a season. The Ljutic with their few moving parts and a fixed stock stood up well over the years of being tossed. However a new twist has been added to the formula.

Different gun - Seitz with more moving parts
    Lock Stock which has moving parts
    Later in the year so that the ground receiving the tossed gun is firmer now than in the Spring when Tom usually tosses the gun
    Tom went back to dipping so he now walks across his spittle from post to post increasing his chances of falling on his A$$ and breaking the stock as he lands
    on the ground
    Kicked my butt again this year and won the Knob Creek Challenge so he has a liter of hooch to sip while showing off for his Hoosier friends - again increasing his chances of falling down and breaking his stock.

All in all if I were to give him a quote for stock repair I would have a disclaimer to include all of the above or the repairperson will be getting a call from Tom saying the repair did not take.

Also would include a line item about cigar burns on the stock as well since he has that habit also.

Hope I have covered all the major points Tom.

Zoltan

17. tcr1146

All major points covered and of course the liter is gone! If memory serves me correctly, it might have slipped somewhere along the line late this summer! Tom Rhoads

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Zoltan correction Tom has NO friends in Indiana .

ALF

19. tcr1146

Alf 99 may be correct! To be safe, I even got a dog since I lived here and now I am not even sure he likes me! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.