1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CRACKED RECEIVER! GUNSMITH SAYS DON'T WORRY!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    friend of mine has a hairline cracked rem 1100 trap gun. the receiver is cracked about an inch where the shell is placed into the chamber. he asked me if i wanted to purchase the gun cheap? real cheap)! he has had a few hundred straights with this gun over the years. because he is a friend, i told him i would take it to an area gunsmith to get his opinion. gunsmith said nothing to worry about. he said a lot of shooters get rid of guns when this happens, fearing the gun will blow up. he felt the gun is perfectly safe to shoot. he said he could weld it, but not necessary. i told my friend what he said, still feels uneasy shooting it. i said keep the barrel, stock and trigger, and i know a guy who has a field 1100 that he can purchase cheap. what is your opinion? is this gun safe to shoot like the gunsmith said? i always heard, once the receiver cracks, throw it out???
    steve balistreri

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is probably safe but the crack will often expand to the point that the gun may not function properly. I would get it repaired or replaced. Often a gunsmith will assume that a gun is used for hunting and might fire +-200 rounds a year. Many are not familiar with the number of rounds we shoot each year.

Pat Ireland

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where's the crack? If it is ahead of the chamber, toward the barrel it is a very dangerous gun. If the gun and you are right handed it will, eventually, blow out at the breech and likely take the pinky, ring and middle fingers of your left hand with it.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

If the crack is at the back of the slot for the bolt cocking piece Replace the bolt recoil buffer spring (in the buttstock) drill a small (1/16")hole at the very back end of the crack and keep on shooting. The hole keeps it from cracking any further and a new buffer spring will keep it from being battered any more.
    --- Chip King ---

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'd still get it replaced.

6. senior smoke

hello again:
    the crack is at the back of the slot. i think the idea of drilling a small hole is a great idea. in 1970 i knew a shooter who shot a tremendous amount of targets and he wore out a 1100 receiver. remington at that time, replaced it free of charge for him. recently he wore out that same receiver he got for free in 1970, remington now charged him for the new receiver. i have no idea what the cost was. what is really nice about this site, some of you shooters are really smart and have some great ideas on how to fix things.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Had this happen to me about 20 years ago. It cracked behind the bolt. Rem. replaced it for free.
    Best thing is to call Remington direct & see what they say.
    Tom Lobonc

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Buy a new one (receiver that is). How much can a receiver cost compared to an accident. Why take a chance over a couple hundred dollars. Even if it went and you did not get hurt how'd you feel if the guy next to you lost a eye because of it?

9. TC

TC TS Member

Steve, I would strongly advise sending it to Remington before you do anything. If it hasn't been modified in any way, they will probably repair or replace it for you. Tony

10. senior smoke

hoggy- good point!
    steve balistreri

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 1100 bolt locks up into the barrel extension.

THE BARREL EXTENSION.

The barrel extension and the bolt take all the stress, not the receiver.

There is no lockup with the receiver itself.

Further, the chamber end of the barrel fits loosely in the receiver. The receiver is not contributing to the strength of the barrel. If the crack was in the chamber itself, yes, that's dangerous, but it's the barrel that should be scrapped.

A small hairline crack near the front of the receiver is not dangerous because it is not subjected to the stresses of firing.

Cracking of the receiver CAN, however, cause malfunctions.

BTW, take a good look at the Mossberg family. They also use a barrel extension like Remington does. Their receivers are made from aluminum because the receiver takes no stress. (Remington can't make their receiver out of aluminum because too many parts are staked in place, and that's going to require steel. If this staking issue was addressed, you could make an 1100 receiver out of aluminum.)

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Send it to Remington for repair/replacement. They will do the later.

Ilion NY.

13. Robb

Robb Member

When my mag tube broke off on mine I took it to the Remington boys at the Grand in Vandalia and they said that the rails were wore so much that they would not spend their money to repair it. It could be just shot out.

Just something to consider as whole used guns can sometimes be had for near the repair price. Think about it.

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Back in the 70's there was a very good backer's shooter from Portland, Oregon by the name of Mike Huff. Mike was famouse for his hot loads. Mike didn't try to hide anything from anybody and was very frank about what he shot. Mike admitted to having had 19 Remington 1100 receivers replace by Remington free of charge. All damages were attributed to the hot loads but Remington dispite there policy on damage due to reloads was at the time good enough to replace the receivers any way. I don't know for a fact that all 19 receivers suffered from cracks as described about but I do know at least one that I saw did. If hot loads damaged the receivers and Remington replaced them free rather than subject themselves to a liability claim I think I would consider the receiver in need of replacement, be it free or other wise. I certainly wouldn't sell the gun and remain liable. My opinion.
    Post-2

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Back in the 70's there was a very good backer's shooter from Portland, Oregon by the name of Mike Huff. Mike was famouse for his hot loads. Mike didn't try to hide anything from anybody and was very frank about what he shot. Mike admitted to having had 19 Remington 1100 receivers replace by Remington free of charge. All damages were attributed to the hot loads but Remington dispite there policy on damage due to reloads was at the time good enough to replace the receivers any way. I don't know for a fact that all 19 receivers suffered from cracks as described about but I do know at least one that I saw did. If hot loads damaged the receivers and Remington replaced them free rather than subject themselves to a liability claim I think I would consider the receiver in need of replacement, be it free or other wise. I certainly wouldn't sell the gun and remain liable. My opinion.
    Post-2

16. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Post-2

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Yuk,Yuk. I flinched sorry.

Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.