1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked MX8 hammer spring...change both?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

After shooting , I always pull the trigger assembly and let the hammers down gently before putting the gun away.

Today, when I let the hammers down, the first one (lower barrel) felt much weaker than the second one. I put on my reading glasses and saw that the weak one had a hairline crack in it.

I bought the gun new, for shooting doubles, and it now has about 19,800 shells through it. My question is, since there is about 10,000 shells on each spring, would you replace both springs, or just the one with the crack?

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I would put them both in.

Just replace one, then cock the hammers by hand several times and you will feel the difference between the new and old spring.

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

P-Gun leaf springs seem to be much more prone to failure (fracture) than coil springs. It has been argued that leaf springs give a faster lock time than coils. In a blind test I doubt you could tell the difference. For my money coil springs are the way to go.

In that one of your springs has failed could the other be far behind? Who knows. Some seem to last forever while others fail fairly soon. Why not replace them both and not worry? It has been recommended on this site to replace P-Gun leaf springs on a regular basis, say every 5-10K shots. I'm sure one of the Perazzi experts (no sarcasm intended) will chime in and give valued info.

Instead of taking the trigger assembly out to release hammer springs why not invest in a couple of decent snap caps? Marc

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You certainly can do the preventive maintenance by changing both springs, or changing springs regularly,

This will only decrease the possibility of needing new springs in the very near future, because new springs does not have any preset life span. Based on my own experience, they might break between 2 weeks and 20 years.

Changing Perazzi springs is a 2 minutes do it yourself job, and it won't cause major damage to your social events, I'd change it when it failed.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would replace both myself but I also agree replacing one and testing tension to cock each one is a good way to decide. I shoot a MX8 bottom barrel way more than the top and when I checked the tension it was half as much as the top so I am going to replace the bottom only and see the results over time for myself.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

broke one leaf and one coil spring with all my Perazzis since 87. Why? been thru 200 triggers. But I have changed at least 30 springs over that time.

Change them every 5 to 10 K. Either type

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd suggest that you change them out for a pair of Marchello's pinless springs. Buy the complete kit. They're easy to install and last much longer than the regular P springs. I bought a pair and a spare which I haven't had to use in two years.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.