1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked Barrel--What would you try

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Have a Money Maker rib on a 391 barrel. It has been shot a lot. The barrel has a hairline split running crosswise of the length of the bore and runs about one third of the diameter of the barrel. It is about half way down and at the end of one of the rib mounting posts. I suspect the soldering process may have heated the barrel too much but then again, Beretta may have had a defect. Either way, it's far out of warranty. I called Money Maker and they said to find a good technician and weld the barrel.
    This is a scary deal. I don't want to toss a $1,000 barrel. Beretta will not help in any way (I really don't blame them) and Money Maker said they might be able to use some of the parts and help a little on parts if I need to get a new barrel. It will still be about $700 plus a barrel. Do you think welding will do the rick? Who would be up to the job? What would you do?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

How much is "shot a lot". Barrel is junk...

3. 3357

3357 Member

If I owned that barrel, I would not shoot it anymore.

4. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I agree with the other guys.... a cracked barrel equals a tomato stake. Play it safe and invest the money in a new barrel, as financially painful as that may be, it's the smart move in the long run.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

This is a gun bbl you're talking about. PSI in the thousands, close to your face, close to other people. Throw it away.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Seriously can't believe you have to ask.

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

If the crack is more than 18" down the barrel, have it cut down, put tubes in it, and use it as a field/sporting/skeet barrel. At least that way it's not a total loss.

8. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Work with the moneymaker guy or buy a new barrel,it aint a perazzi barrel.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would buy a new barrel and see what the Moneymaker invoice looks like when they use your old rib parts on the new barrel. What parts would not be usable. My guess is the whole thing can be used.

10. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

every time the payload goes down the barrel the steel expands and contracts. even the finest steel (and no two thousand dollar gun has the best steel)will fatigue. the spot you can see is just the first not the only over stressed spot. what is your and for that matter everyones safety worth. I have a welding shop and my background is metal, for what its worth, scrap it! Jack

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't think that this really qualifies under the 1000 uses for JB weld (I do admit though that I haven't read the long list on the package as of late), but your barrel is junk......

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

When the repair fails, and the barrel bursts and injures someone, its going to cost you a lot more than a thousand dollars.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Fixing a cracked barrel is right up there with wireless bungee jumping!

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I had that happen once. I took the cracked barrel to Simmons in Olathe, KS. They cut the old barrel off at the end of the forcing cone area...sweated on a new tube (I then had my choice of barrel length). They used the old gas piston cup. They could also use your old rib and posts. This barrel (for a Beretta AL2) became a 32" barrel before Beretta made a 32" barrel for their autos. When Tom Seitz was alive, he took a damaged MX8 Perazzi barrel I had...sweated on a new tube and made a 35" barrel for me. This was done before Perazzi made any 35" barrels.

So you do have options. See if Moneymaker will sweat on a new tube for you and choose your length and choke and point of impact.

Good luck,

milt

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

It's time for a new barrel. Or maybe it time for a new gun like the Fabarm XL5 with a hight rib from the factory.

16. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

'Cracked Barrel-- What would you try??' to see how far you can toss it !!

17. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Your barrel should make a fine tomato stake.

Pat

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look at it this way. After it destroys your forend hand, you will still need a new barrel.

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

Take the bbl. to a really good blacksmith and have him make a couple of nice knives out of it.

20. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Beretta will sell you a new barrel. Currently their website list a couple of 391 barrels, 343.00 for a 28" nice camo barrel optima bore ( wont have someone else thinking your gun was theirs ) or 429.00 for a blued 26" barrel. If that doesnt appeal to you, that new Gorilla tape is 3 times better than duct tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.