1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cracked 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lostandout, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostandout

lostandout Member

i have my fathers 1100 that he shot form 1971 to about 2000 he stoped shooting it becouse of a crack in the recever is this normal for a gun with a high round count
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I wouldn't exactly call it "normal" but it's not all that surprising from a non-forged receiver if the round count is really high.

-Gary

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

For 300 bucks you can buy one that is like new. Why even worry about it? Jeff

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's because of that crack and many others like it that earned the 1100 the "most dangerous shotgun" title.

It probably doesn't deserve the bad reputation because of the number of 1100's sold compared to other gun models. I'm an 1100 fan but many have blown out precisely in the location shown in the photo. Most of the time the blowout takes part of the forearm wood too and some have injured the last three fingers on the righthanded shooter's left hand.

I'll probably get crucified here for saying this even though it's true.

5. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I shot Remington 1100s for about 20 years. During that time I had two receivers crack. Remington replaced them both on a prorated plan.

6. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I had an 1100 with a very high round count and the barrel cracked down the groove on the tang that goes into the receiver. The receiver itself had not cracked yet though.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Barry C. Roach, quote: <i>"It's because of that crack and many others like it that earned the 1100 the "most dangerous shotgun" title.

It probably doesn't deserve the bad reputation because of the number of 1100's sold compared to other gun models. I'm an 1100 fan but many have blown out precisely in the location shown in the photo. Most of the time the blowout takes part of the forearm wood too and some have injured the last three fingers on the righthanded shooter's left hand.

I'll probably get crucified here for saying this even though it's true."</i>

I'd like some actual evidence that a crack like that can lead to a blown up gun. The reason is that the bolt locks into the barrel extension, not the receiver. Until the gas system operates the action sleeve/action bars and moves the bolt, the bolt and the barrel extension remain locked together.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you put of thin layer of grease on top of the barrel extension it will provide just enough cushion to normally stop the receiver from cracking.

Ajax

9. Barry C. Roach

BinO

A friend with the tips of his pinky, ring and middle finger missing. Happened in the eighties. He sued as did most. Catastrophic failures should not be ignored. In his case, he was shooting reloads and Remington won on appeal. His fingers didn't grow back though.

I've seen several 1100's with receiver cracks as seen in the photo here and others between the ejection port and the front of the receiver. I even had one of my own that cracked. I was a dealer then and my rep. took the gun and replaced it with a new gun. As with mine all were well used guns. Everyone and anyone that shoots an 1100 should inspect the receiver often to make sure there are no cracks. It's a safety issue and everybody who owns one should know it. Others, with greater knowledge of the subject will have to offer proof. I believe that for the number of 1100's that have been manufactured, the failures are a very small percentage of the total.

If you want to know more about it, I suggest you ask a Remington rep about it. The problem was well documented back then.

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A friend almost bought a used 1100 at Cabela's. We saw the gun on the rack and my first impression was that it was in very good shape. We took it into the "Library', field stripped it and looked at the pieces more closely. Upon close inspection, my friend saw that the receiver had a hairline crack in it.

Cabela's knowledgeable Gun Library folks didn't catch it when they took it on trade. Did the seller/trader even know it? Who knows. As I recall, it was a hairline crack in front of the chamber opening and I didn't see it at first.

Cabela's junked the whole gun. My friend later found one that is not cracked.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I had an 870 TC that I bought used then discovered a crack i9n receiver, sent it back to Remington they replace the receiver at a very fair price. I was totally satisfied?

12. Brian in Oregon

Barry, that's still not definitive proof that a cracked receiver was at fault. You say he lost the tips of fingers. Yet his fingers would be forward of the chamber, in the area of the forcing cone. That suggests to me that there was some other fault compounding this, like perhaps a stuck wad. And I'm not saying to ignore this issue. I just want proof that in and of itself a crack like that will cause the locking lug and the barrel extension to part company before the gas system unlocks it.

13. Barry C. Roach

As I said, Brian. Ask an old Remington rep. They know all about it. By the way, the entire left side of the barrel breached under the forearm and blew the left side of the forearm to bits. His finger tips went with it. There were quit a few more catastrophic failures all similar in nature to this one.

Because you are such a Remington fan doesn't mean that there wasn't a problem. It's a safety issue and I can assure you that I inspect mine, which I have had made adjustable for trap instruction for students, every time it comes out of the case. I am a Remington fan as well and am only trying to help. I also inspect my Perazzi often before shooting it. Best regards, Barry.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You best check the Barrell extension on this gun where the bolt locks up, I would say that it won't be straight.

GB
    DLS

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Where the obstruction is located is not necessarily indicative of where the failure will occur. Ask my friend who bulged the monoblock on his K-80 when he tried to shoot a Peters Blue Magic shell head through his barrel!!

16. lostandout

lostandout Member

there was never any obstruction in it just a lot of rounds over the years

17. Brian in Oregon

Barry, I don't doubt that Rem receivers crack. In fact, there are other places they crack too. For example, the extension slot in the ejection port was put there for a reason.

But a barrel blowout under the forend is too far forward to be related to the receiver coming apart.

Sorry, but I'm chalking this up to an obstruction or other problem and the gun only coincidentally having a crack inn the receiver.

You can believe what you want to believe. But the results indicate otherwise.

18. trw

trw Member

I would ask the question, "Was the buffer in the bolt ever replaced?" That is what protects the receiver from being hit in a metal to metal 'hammer' fashion.

I have replaced several of them [buffers] in several dif 1100's, some more than once & I inspect them just as I do the free length of the recoil spring and will readily replace either when called for. I do NOT think this is a design/safety issue; rather I'd call it paying attention to items that are subject to wear & tear from repeated use and in some cases, no doubt abusive use. That would include, in particular, continued use when the buffer can no longer do so. By design, the bolt was NEVER intended to come into direct contact with the receiver. The buffer is a replaceable part.

Send your dad's gun to Remington; let then fit a new receiver at whatever the cost & enjoy using it. He should have done the same thing, rather than closeting it. I would imagine they would have offered advice similar to what I said above, but I do not pretend to speak for anyone aside from myself.

Best, tw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.