1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crack in 870 receiver

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by senior smoke, Nov 2, 2016.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago, I shot with a guy that just ran 100 straight at the Wisconsin state shoot. After he shot, he noticed his receiver had a hairline crack where you place the shell into the gun. He said the gun was ruined and proceeded to sell me the entire gun for the discounted price of just the barrel and the stock.

I took the gun to a well known gunsmith and he said he could weld the receiver but too be honest I could keep on shooting the gun as nothing would happen.

His statement was contrary to everything I ever heard about cracked receivers. Any one have an opinion what this gunsmith told me?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Years ago....... ?? Great story

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Look at an 1100 receiver.. Have heard of drilling a "small" hole at the end of the crack, don't know much about that. CALL Remington. Ross Puls

4. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

It works. And the reason for the narrower cut behind the main cut.

Scott Hanes

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

I had an 870 receiver crack too. Stopped using it. Whole used second gun cost me $250. Still shooting the second one.

6. mikey357

mikey357 Active Member

Which actually goes back to the Sportsman 58, IIRC--"The Crack" in the Receiver, the drilled hole as an expedient fix and the elongated smaller "Bolt Handle Slot" as a permanent fix....Mike S.

7. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

if it was mine ,i would take it to work, weld it, and just keep a eye on it

8. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

I have seen cracked receivers on 870 and 1100.Some people keep shooting them with the crack.
    It is not as serious as most believe because the bolt locks into the barrel.In the good old days Remington replaced the receiver at no cost .Those days are long gone.

9. senior smoke

I gave the receiver to a friend and he had it welded. I also remember when Remington would replace receivers for no charge but that was years before this receiver actually cracked.
    Steve

10. mikey357

mikey357 Active Member

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

11. Chuckster54

Chuckster54 Member

I wouldn't trust it. IMO it's not worth the risk. I've seen guns / barrels explode and fortunately nobody was permanently / severely injured. Loss of hearing counts too as an injury. For the cost of a new gun go and send it to the parts heap.

12. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Some people probably shoot 870's and never know they have a crack..

That gun is a work horse,

DGH

smokintom thanked this.
  13. senior smoke

dgh:
    I once shot a Remington 870 TB that had a broken action bar and I was unaware of it as the gun still functioned. That evening I took the gun a part and noticed that it was broken. In 46 years of shooting I have had two break downs. The spring that goes over the firing pin and the action bar. Not bad.
    Steve

dgh and smokintom thanked this.
  14. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I've got a build up trap with an Olympic high rib on it and some fine wood, That gun has paid for itself and several others I own.

Would not sell it.. It just works too well.

DGH

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

870s have double action bars, not like the 31s with only 1 so they (870s) will operate with 1 broken. I have also seen that happen. Ross Puls

16. senior smoke

Ross:
    Before I shot the 870 I use to shoot a 31TC. Vic Reinders told me that the weak point on the 31 was the action bar so I purchased an extra one. I shot with Vic one time when his action bar broke and in less than 5 minutes he put a new one in his gun and we were all shooting again.

I believe that having double action bars on the 870 is one of the reasons the 870 is so durable. It's a great gun.
    Steve

17. aloha one

aloha one Well-Known Member

Tig weld by someone who knows what he is doing.
    Aloha

18. joe kuhn

Steve, thanks for the thread. I checked my gun the last time I shot it and here's what I found.

upload_2016-11-5_8-54-50.png

The top line is a crack, the bottom one is a scratch. Will set about drilling a hole at the end of the crack and be sure to get that magazine cap tight from now on. Dang.

Joe

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  19. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

In my late teens I was shocked to find that large aircraft were being flown with known cracks in wing spars!! The factory reps monitored any further growth and it was noted in the aircraft log. They crack was usually "stop drilled" to prevent further growth. Use a center punch and a sharp drill otherwise you will have some ugly engraving too. You can always weld it later.

20. joe kuhn

upload_2016-11-5_10-12-15.png

We'll see if it stops right there. Used a 5/32" brand new drill bit after marking the spot with a punch. I was sure to get the edge of the hole at the end of the line. Those two dings were already in it, just not as visible in the previous picture. Wanted a large enough hole to actually stop the issue. This is an old pitted up hunting gun, so there's no need to be fussy. The metal drilled out very easily. It seems soft.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
Search tags for this page

870 receiver cracking

870 receivers for sale