1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CR-1K Radar Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Paladin, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I just purchased a CR-1K radar gun. Now that they have been around and used more than ever, my question is, do you believe a digital angle gage used in conjunction with the radar gun is necessary to set good targets.

I have done a search of the threads and there has been excellent discussion. I am looking for additional input.
    Thanks.

2. Paladin

Well, after a little experimentation and usage today, pullll has it pegged to the T. Two things that really stood out are, the need to use a digital angle or digital level. And also it surprised me as to how much further the Pat's rubber band would throw the target as the rubber band warmed up. I knew they would throw them further as they warmed, but didn't realize it would be 2 turns.

In 20 degree temps, the Pat threw 50 yard targets at 9 1/2 ft, when just turned on. Two warm-up rounds later, the Pat was throwing 51 1/2 yard targets. Took a turn off to bring it back to 50 yard birds.

Three rounds later the Pat was throwing 50 1/2 to 51 yard targets again so we took another round of spring off to get 49 1/2 yard targets. Targets were White Flyers.

To get a 50 yard target with a lite wind coming from behind me, the gun needed to read 41.5 mph. This reading was taken at my eye level which is about 6 ft off the ground. Distance off the ground must have a bearing on the readings.

3. Paladin

Rocky Mountain Clay Sports. Web address above. They are an advertiser on here. $595.00 plus shipping and handling. Excellent service and place to do business.

4. Paladin

Paul, don't forget a digital angle finder to place on the trap plate, to get all of the equation. I did as "pull" recommended and bought a 10 inch digital level from Sears. Very nice piece of equipment. I also bought a small, see through level to attach to my radar gun, to help in being consistent with the angle I am reading the target at.

This statement may cause a kerfuffle, but I think targets should be set with the height stick, and either a chronograph or radar gun with rule book stated speeds. The old yardage rule seems,,,obsolete.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Darn it Paladin, I've been working with radar and chronographs for eight years now and I can't do better than " I think targets should be set with the height stick, and either a chronograph or radar gun with rule book stated speeds." Personally, I'll give angle meters a pass since I've never gotten much for results with them, though others have.

As you see, it doesn't take long to make you a believer in radar target-setting does it?

Don't worry much about holding the gun straight out. It can be up a little, down a little and everything will be all right. It's more important to make sure you are reading a straigtaway but even there you can be off by 8 degrees before you error reaches 1%.

Welcome to the club. If you want to read a little more, try the above link.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- I am interested in your comment about angle meters. I have three of them and they all read the same angle. The best I can do setting the height with them is to get within one notch on a calm day. Can you give me some hints why they do not do a better job. When the wind is blowing a bit, I can't get within one notch of the proper height.

It would seem to be that they would be excellent for setting targets but I can't get good results. I do not understand.

Pat Ireland

7. Paladin

Well, after using the radar gun for 1/2 of a summer now, here are a couple points of interest. Using a high power hand held radar gun, or, using a chronograph mounted on a "Pat Arm" work equally well. Each has their better features.

Now for the surprise. Having used the Sears 10" digital level extensively also, it has shown to be a very valuable tool to aid in setting targets. Very valuable in my opinion. For one reason, two of the clubs I frequent had one or more height stick markers that were not at the correct level for what ever reason. One was off by 4", one by 8" and the other by 18". Two of these pedestals were supposedly read by transit not long ago. If we didn't have the level, we probably would not have noticed two of the discrepancies. The third was obvious. I would be willing to bet pedestal variations are common. Very common.

Pat, we use 20.4 to 21.0 degrees when the wind is blowing hard. 21.4, plus or minus a couple degrees in calm air with most traps. The required angle settings are very repeatable, day in and day out from what we have found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.