1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cpap, Darth Vadar returns....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bcnu, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, after almost 50 years with very little health problems/illness, the health industry has finally managed to get their hooks in me.

Went in a few weeks ago for hives/stress. Just wanted some valium and atarax. Didn't have a doctor so had to fill out all those questions that they want to know. Now here it is three weeks, one sleep study later and now I have a little oxygen making machine and today they delivered a cpap machine.

So if I should die within the next few weeks, let this be a lesson to y'all, don't EVER let them get their hooks into you lol.

Seriously though, the night of the sleep test was the very best that I had slept for YEARS. So I am hoping that this works.

How many cpap users are on here and would you do without it?

John

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

John I was absolutely miserable when I took my sleep test. I woke up every hour or so and they advised that I wasn't to bad then when I saw the Doctor a week later he said I was very bad and sent me home with a cpap machine which I have never been able to use. It's the type that gradually gets stronger but blows so hard I would struggle to breathe. I am normally a nose breather and will almost pass out before I will breathe through my mouth. I've learned to sleep on my stomach most of the time. Jackie B.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have been on a BIPAP machine for the last 10 years. I firmly believe that I would not be alive and typing this if it were not for that. When I did my sleep test I stopped breathing 48 times in a one hour period. No wonder I was more tired when I got up than when I went to bed. These events are hard on the heart and your blood oxygen is always very low which is also not good. The only difference in a CPAP and BIPAP is that the BIPAP senses when you are not exhaling and supplies air at a higher pressure and then when you exhale the supplied air pressure is reduced so the exhale is easier.
    --- Chip King ---

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jack I could not use a CPAT machine either talk to your doctor about a BIPAP.
    --- Chip King ---

5. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

I wish I'd have done my sleep study 5 years ago to have gotten the CPAP sooner. I won't even think about sleeping without it now. A year ago I couldn't get enough sleep no matter what I did, I was always tired and ready for a nap. Now, I sleep through the night more than I did 20 years ago. I don't normally have to get up during the night to hit the can anymore either.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Great, sounds like the same thing all around. Maybe it will be for the best. Never realized that it was that bad till I got a couple hours sleep with one on. I'll send in an updated report in a few days. Good night and good luck lol. John

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I had the same problem as shooting jack above. They gave me a bipap machine...dried out my throat and sinuses...they added a humidifier of some sort. I got panic attacks trying to put a mask over my face and was told after 62 years I MUST learn to sleep on my back. I gave up after about a week...maybe too soon, but it was either a little sleep without the machine or panic attacks and off and on sleep on my back. Guess I am doomed. Ed

8. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

The first few nights were a matter of getting the mind right that I was going to learn to live with it. When I got mine, I found nearly 30 people that I knew that were using them and all said the same thing, don't give up. It really does require some mind work to get over it. The more you say you can't, then the more it won't work. Not meant to sound mean but it's a fact and there are many that use them so you're not the only one to feel that way at first. Once you get past it, you will NOT believe how much better you will feel every day. Never even take a short nap without using it, that way you begin to associate sleep with the machine and it'll get easier.

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

My Dad passed away at age 63, in otherwise very good health, except for the effects of sleep apnea. He was not overweight and could ride a 10 speed bike for 10 to 20 miles at age 63.

For years I would wake up more tired than when I wnet to bed.

I used to drive along in the car, fantasizing about sleeping.....alone. I just day dreamed about getting rest. I even came close to falling asleep while riding the motorcycle....not good.

On my sleep study, I was told I stopped breathing for 40+ seconds, try that when awake. It is tough on everything, as others have noted.

I am well into year 2 with the CPAP. While I wish I didn't need it, it is a big improovement.

My biggest issue is summe alergies which plug up my nose, making the CPAP less effective.

I used to think of it as a problem for old porkers (me) but I was told it effects some young, skinny, fit people too.

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Luke, I am your faaaather.... :) LOL

Seriously, there is a lot to be said about sleep apnea, in whatever form it may be. How do you convince someone they really need to take the sleep test the doctor has advised? I could use some advice here.

Sleep well John (and the rest of you).

Sherree

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Not to be grim, but a coworker DID fall asleep riding his motorcycle home the other night. They buried him several days later. When you crave sleep more than most things, it is time to get checked. When you fall asleep during the day constantly, it is time to get checked. When you sleep for 20+ hours on your day off, it is time to get checked. The humidifier unit keeps the air moist and doesn't dry out the throat as much. Dry air can make your throat dry and speech raspy. Air pillows go up your nose and don't give you the mask effect. Somebody here on TS.com said give them a chance, and I am glad I did. Old habits are hard to break, but if you can teach yourself to open both eyes while shooting, you can learn to work with a CPAP machine. Have your pressure adjusted as your body changes. Sleep Well. Omaha

12. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

After reading the article in Shotgun Sports and after scaring my wife one night when I woke myself up and her when I gasped for air I went for a sleep study. I thoguht I was going to have a hard time sleeping at the sleep center I was out in about 10 minutes. I have a mildcase17 episodes per hour. I spoke with my docotr and he had a patient that when he gained 5 pounds he snoredwhen he gained 10 he had apnea. I have since then lost 27 poundsand I feel like a new man. I sleep with the machine once in awhile but I no longer have headaches associated with sleep apnea. I am not saying me losing weight got rid of the apnea because I do have to see the doc again and possibly have another study but I do feel better. I was told by my life insurance agent that once it is known you have apnea it opens a lotof doors on getting life insurance coverage. Keep up with the machine and if you need to loose some weight.

Just my two cents

Travis

13. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Sheree...

I don't know how you convince them, but with me, it was very difficult to control hypertension. Granted I have a weight issue now, but many pounds before that I had the hypertension. My mom started on meds when she was ~16 for it. They are now linking it to apnea. You make a hormone in REM sleep that helps regulate your BP.

I use my machine every night, although, the honeymoon phase of feeling so well rested seemed to end for me a couple of weeks after the arrival. I still use the machine to try and help control the BP.

Good luck with convincing your person, as I have one I am working on... Not easy, especially with the older ones, who are set in their ways...

Sleep tight!
    LWL

14. TC

TC TS Member

Shooting Jack, Big Tuna, or anyone, If you have a machine that you want to get rid of, let me know. I am looking for a spare backup. (You would have to remove the P). Tony

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My wife has sleep apnea.<br>
    <br>
    What's this CPAP and BIPAP?

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

After years of my doctor and family hounding me, I caved in and went for a sleep study last August 29th and have been sleeping with a BIPAP machine with humidifier ever since. Not just going to bed - SLEEPING. There is a difference!

As stated earlier, CPAPs supply air at a constant rate prescribed by your sleep center. BIPAPs cut the pressure back when you exhale, making that easier and quieter. Both are available with a humidifier and I recommend it even if you don't think you need it. It does not have to be used now but can be used later.

I've received a lot of email about that article, most of it from "closet sleep apnea sufferers" who went for a sleep study after reading the article and either thanked me for bringing the subject to their attention or giving them the courage to have the test. As I said then, if you're male, over 40 and overweight, you likely have it. Can you think of a more accurate description of a trapshooter?

Ed

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

As I've stated on here before I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have many patients on sleep apnea machines. A CPCP machine is a "continuous positive air pressure" unit. A BIPAP is "2 pressure(s) positive air pressure" unit. A BIPAP upon exhalation, the pressure lowers enabling the user to more easily exhale (due to the lower pressure). For those, as posted earlier, who have the claustrophobic feeling of a nose mask or full-face mask, there are different varieties of nasal pillow masks where small soft inserts fit into the nostrils. Much less feeling of being "closed in". Everyone keep at it when starting on a device. Sometimes it takes many weeks to get used to it. I have patients who swear by it and some who swear at it! Hang in there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Are these machines covered by your health insurance plan? If not how much $$$ to purchase?

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My health insurance paid for mine and pays for a new mask every six months. I don't know how much the machines cost if you have to pay for one, but it's a piece of medical equipment, so who knows... After spending my life in auto dealership service management, I was shocked to learn that the warranty on such stuff is only 30 days!

I first used a "full-coverage" mask that basically encloses the nose in a triangular unit but it leaked a trickle of air onto my eyelashes, so now use the kind Jerry mentioned - an Infinity 481. I've recommended it so often to readers that I have the make and model memorized!

Ed

20. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

After another night of waking up every hour or so and reading the encouragement on this thread, this will be discussed with my doctor at the end of this month when I am again scheduled to see him. Thanks for the comments. I was using a BiPAP machine but returned it to the provider when I gave up. Will definitely check into the Infinity 481 concept. The panic attacks/claustrophobia (sp?) came from feeling like I was smothering with the mask on. Thanks again. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.