1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

coyotes and .177 caliber

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Coyotes have killed two of my pets in my back yard. Can't shoot .22 rimfire rifle and up because of city rules. Will my .177 caliber new Ruger Air Hawk @ 1000 ft/second do a kill job at 50 yards and under? Would a .22 pellet @ 800 ft/second be a big improvement over .177? Will be aiming for the side of the head (ear canal)?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

milt

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Pretty light for yotes, but it might work

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd say too that it sounds a little light for coyotes but if that was all I could legally use I'd use it. If the coyotes crawled away and died later I wouldn't feel all that bad about it.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

What about the .17 rimfires? Can you sneak them past the city ordinance? I would think the .17HMR would be more effective than the pellet rifle.

If you get the pointed hunting pellets they might be enough at close range.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Maybe look for a used compound bow

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Milt,

I know what you said about the city rules but what they don't know won't hurt them. Find some CCI CB Long's and use them at 50 yards or less. They are as quiet as a pellet gun and with a 29gr bullet much more effective. I use them on small game all the time in town. My neighbors know what I'm doing but all have said they never hear a thing. They work best out of a single shot or lever action .22 rifle. They don't have enough juice to work the bolt on my Ruger 10/22's and are a little louder out of their action and shorter barrel anyway. I use my Marlin model 39A. Just a thought anyway.

Make sure you get the CB Long's and not just regular Long's. These are not Long Rifle and not Shorts. Very quiet and work great with headshots. Being in Texas, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them around there.

[​IMG]

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I have been using 22 shorts and some of the 22 subsonics when the neighbors are close by. These are not loud at all and if they are coyotes close enough any head shot would do em in for sure.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Those CB longs that Matt showed are the ticket. If you can shoot from inside a building or house with the muzzle inside, no one will hear a thing.

9. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Don't be afraid to use that pellet gun. They are quite accurate and will kill a coyote at your range, but you will need to do as you say and go for ear canal. Instant kill, if you could a little closer would be better.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Try the Aguila 22LR Sniper load. 60 gr bullet @ 950fps. Very quiet and good penetration.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have city ordinances also but I do kill skunks and other vermin with .22 shorts fired out of a rifle. The sound of the bullet hitting is about as loud as the gunshot itself. Same can be said of the CB longs that Matt is talking about. I wouldn't hesitate to pull out a shotgun if it was a matter of one my dogs getting torn up. Worse case I would get a ticket, but since my neighbors are like minded about vermin there is a very slim chance that I would even get reported. They never hear a thing either.

Pellet gun won't get it done. Talk to your neighbors and let them know what you need to do, you will be suprised at the support you will get.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

used sub-sonic 22's

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Matt, only .22 I have is Ruger 10-22 short barrel. I could shuck it by hand if I needed a second shot but short barrel might be too loud. Last summer there was a .22 rifle fired down the street--within 15 minutes there was 3 police cars investigating. I'm in the heart of FtWorth with a small stip of woods 20 paces out my back door. They come under the fence all up and down the strip. Anyone have experience with the .177 pellet vs. the .22 cal pellet? Beeman has a new gun out that has two barrels--one .177 and one .22. If the .22 pellet would be much more effective, I'd do that.

Thanks for all the imput!

milt

14. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

If you are uncomfortable with the CB longs which is clearly the ticket, I would not blink at using the .177 at 1,000FPS. I have downed some large things over the years with just that medicine. You could also consider getting some PBA pellets, they will add another 200+ FPS to the cause and are plenty cheap enough.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have 177 pellet guns and a Beeman 22 cal pellet gun. The knock down of the 22 is much greater than the 177. My 177 will shoot through a 1/2 sheet of plywood(up to 1200 fps) and will kill a cat(No I didn't do it). If you can put the 22 in the ear canal of a coyote I am convinced that it will kill it. I normally use the precision max Daisy pellets which are flat nosed but I would consider the pointed pellets for penetration. Jackie B.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Milt,

Although I stated the Ruger 10/22 with CCI CB Longs is louder than my Marlin 39A, they are still as quiet as a pellet gun anyday. As stated above by others, the other half the idea involves shooting from within your house from a window or cracked door. The further i teh house the better. You may want to just buy some the CB's and go out where its legal and test fire a few to get an idea of how quiet they really are.

Matt

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

one shot no matter how loud will not show anybody where it came from, Get the yote, and just to what your neighbors do. If they come out to see what the cops want go out and visit with your neighbors. If they hunker down and wait for the cops to leave hunker down. maybe have some sort of camo to cover the pest first though.

near my dads house, Several destructive critters have had accidents and while everyone admitted they think they heard something no one can say "it happened right there!"

Over those years 80 to 90 percent of the people within half a mile of dads where quite capable of making those accidents happen.

The ones furthest from the possible sight of the accident have been the most vocal on the NEED of those accidents of happening, even saying if that critter had ever given them the chance it would not have been an accident.

Al

18. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I think the .177 at 50 yds. 1000fps should be effective. Even if not, Coyotes are smart and a couple that get wounded in your area will tip the rest to stay away IMO. I don't think they'd like smelling their own blood. That way you're legal and still get the job done. Win Win.

I live on 2 acres and my neighbors never say a word when I test a shotgun out behind my shop. Of course most of us are escapees from Memphis so we're used to hearing gunshots. LOL!

Mark

19. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

shoot them in the ribs. they will run off, but they will not be back. cb's sometimes do not penetrate the skull

[​IMG]

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

CB longs in a rifle are not as loud as the pellet rifle...I use the 17Aquilas in my 17Mach 2 and the groundhogs are put down hard....coyotes did the same when I was in Texas...very quiet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

177 and coyottes

177 camo coyote