1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyotes 2, Hunters 0

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Went coyote hunting with my son at my mother in law's ranch.

We were in a forested area in thick brush, where an abandoned logging road branches off another old logging road. These are actually more like glorified trails.

Called for a while, with the dying cottontail blues.

Suddenly, over the shallow rise of the side road, two heads are looking at me. And they immediately spin and run, disappearing below the crest.

I jumped up, shouldered my 1187, and swung towards the left breaking coyote. The right breaking coyote had already made the bend and no shot was possible.

The left breaking dog was into the heavy brush and trees when I fired. No followup shot was possible.

Found the footprints where the coyotes spun and ran, where I shot. No blood sign. We tried tracking, but they were quitting country fast.

I was totally camo'd head to toe, with only my eyes showing. We washed everything in scent killer soap, and there was no wind. Dead calm. The speaker was about 30 feet away from me, and was way off the side from my alignment with them. These are undoubted experienced coyotes, because they instantly "made" me. That would make sense, because we have not been hearing the nightly yips and yaps of a bunch of younger coyotes. These may be the dominant pair in the area, and may have run the others off.

These are also probably the same pair of coyotes that ran a semi-circle around me last year as I was deer hunting. I was well hidden between two logs, and quiet, so I doubt they knew I was there.

BTW, their paw prints match the prints we have been finding on the old logging roads in the area. They are either trotting fast or are running. They are not walking these roads. We believe they are hoping to run upon and surprise rabbit, squirrels and birds with speed instead of using stealth. Because the many bends of the roads, you can't see very far, so this tactic may well be paying off for them. They seem to do this just after sunrise. In another month or so, we'll try going back and getting in an ambush position before sun up, without calling, and see if we can catch them on their 'patrol'.

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Good Luck. They are becoming a major problem here in MI since some idiot introduced them. They have a coyote problem inside the city of Detroit. It's like the wolves they reintroduced to the Upper, now they are a problem. Some people always think they know better then they want to protect the problem they created.

Don

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Try a few #3 victor coilsprings..that will get their attention..

4. Brian in Oregon

That requires a trappers license. While I've held a furbearers license, it does not allow trapping. And a trappers license requires a bunch of classes and tests. Add to that the area the coyotes are active in is heavily used by deer and elk. On top of that, I hunt for sport and the thrill of it. There is no thrill or enjoyment to me shooting a wounded animal in a trap. Trapping to me is strictly a business proposition or eradication, not hunting for enjoyment.

5. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Brian in Oregon,
    Hunting Coyotes is easy, sucess bagging one or more is right up there in my book of " Hunting Skills". A recent 24 hour Coyote Contest (Jan.31st) here in Upstate NY bagged numerous critters. One team of two guys in one spot near Naples, NY bagged five coyotes and seven fox in one valley! Their skills included using an ear wiggling rabbit decoy and a blowup/coyote next to the call. As soon as fellow coyotes saw the "other coyote" near the "decoy rabbit", they would readily run into the kill zone! By the way, five coyotes were taken from their "spot" the week before....They thought they were going to have a slow day! I will not post pictures of the contest site as I am sure the "PETA people would love some ammo! The largest one bagged was 50.8 lbs on a digital scale. Saw one that looked like a white wolf!! The varying color coats of these coyotes was extremely interesting!
    Respectfully submitted

Jet Boat Bill

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I'm in a suburb 28 miles west of Chicago. Last week and friend of ours heard a commotion in her backyard and looked out to see a coyote mauling her small white terrier, Buddy. Buddy had be put to sleep. Since then this lady has found out that (1) the police in our area have gotten numerous calls about coyotes in yards, but do nothing, (2) one of our elementary schools had to close down outdoor recess due to coyote sightings, (3) many small dogs and cats have disappeared and the police advise the owners there's nothing they can do. This lady has done more in a week to alert the residents of Wheaton (50,000) to what has been going on.

Now the police Dept has a notice up on their website, but I think it was written by a member of PETA.

The City of Chicago has a lot of coyotes. They hired a fellow to do a study and he's put together a video that I think is very informative. Those of you out in rural areas may find this video boring, but others may find it interesting. If you use the link, look on the page for a photo of a coyote - that's the video link.

Incidentally the fellow who did the video regularly hunts coyotes and wrote an article about how to controll them. In it he states:
    "The use of specialized ammunition is critical when in close proximity to dwellings. The two I most often use are the .22 rimfire Aguila 60 grain
    SSS load, and the 12 gauge Metro Gun loaded with #3 tungsten shot. Both are
    extremely safe in the urban environment because of their low velocity and short
    range. The coyote’s head and neck area are targeted with the Metro Gun, and the lung area is targeted with the .22 Aguila load. I keep my shots within 30 yards."

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

True story: I live on a street 3 miles from City Hall in Los Angeles as the crow flies. This is on a hillside. We are next to a big natural park. One resident up here shot a coyote in his backyard using a .222 Remington Mohawk carbine. I saw him shoot the coyote, and the coyote just folded. There was no exit wound. He used a 50 grain V-Max bullet. This area is overrun with coyotes; the city park is overused and receives poor clean up after weekend picnics etc. So the coyotes have a wonderful food source. I did note that the shot was taken from a high porch down at the coyote. Perhaps hunting from a stand might be a tactic worth trying? After all, coyotes are smart, but not arborial.

The shot was placed into the coyote's chest and there was a safe backstop from that angle of approximately 75 degrees vertical. If it is safe, it seems that a high powered .224 caliber is a practical cartridge and the coyote is less likely to run while mortally wounded.

Coyotes in this area also appear to be healthy and are also known to feed on domestic pet cats and on small dogs. They have been known to attack small children on rare occasions. Generally, however, the coyotes are indifferent when solo and just lope on down the street at dawn or at dusk. Man in this area has not treated the coyote well by providing too many food sources in an urban environment. 'Tis a shame, coyotes are not to blame and are a symbol of the West, but it is wrong to feed them where they are not wanted.

8. Brian in Oregon

In fact, we discussed the possibility of setting up a stand in that area for coyotes. We could then move it later to a more open field for deer.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chango2- Have Coyotes really attacked small children?

Pat Ireland

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have hunted and trapped them for years I guess when I read the post I thought you were having trouble with them, not just out for a hunting trip..
    the season is open year round here, no liscenses or permit required..

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm about 10 miles closer to Chicago then Glen is (Elmhurst) not only do we have issues with coyotes but we are over run with sunks. Not unlike Wheaton our city will do nothing, the response when you call is " it is part of Nature". The problem is as we all know there are no predators for either speicies. Need to buy an adult air rifle to take care of the critters.

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Brian why a 1187? You using slugs, #2's what. Only Varmit rifles in Central Oregon. Post-2

13. Maumee River Rat

Maumee River Rat Member

Mr. Pat Ireland: just check varmintal.com and click on coyote attacks. Ed

14. Brian in Oregon

[​IMG]

Post-2, shotguns are often better suited in western Oregon for coyotes. They're still of use in eastern Oregon when centerfire rifles are restricted due to deer and elk season.

See that dark hole beyond the muzzle of my 1187? That's the old logging road. We're at the point where it enters a field, but yesterday we were way down it in another area.

A scoped AR15 just ain't gunna work there, unless the scope was maybe a 1-4x. I have a 3-9x on it, and it's still too much even at 3x on critters that can run through a deer trail at 25 to 30 mph. This problem is more unique to western Oregon than eastern Oregon, as the undergrowth is vastly thicker due to the heavier rainfall. Eastern Oregon is considerably drier, and the undergrowth is not as heavy. Often in the thick stuff you have about two seconds to get aligned and get a shot off on a running coyote. We even unsafety the guns because that takes too much time. This kind of foliage is best hunted with shotguns.

I had an EOTech on the R15, but the 65 MOA circle was screwin' me up badly. The display is so busy that when the shooting got fast I shooting off of the post at the top of the ring, a 32 MOA error. Took me a while to figure these misses out. I need an EOTech that has a 1 MOA dot only and no ring. The EOTech now resides on the shelf in my safe.

The photo below is of Sean's friend Chase. This pic is in my mother-in-law's yard, after we dragged the coyote back. But it was shot on a similar setup on the far side of the ranch. I had Chase sit with his back to a stump, knees up, shotgun (Sean's old 1187) unsafetied and at the ready. This coyote burst out of the brush about 20 feet from Chase, instantly saw it was bad mojo, and did an incredibly fast 180. Chase put a load of buckshot into his butt at about 15 feet and the coyote was DRT. It would have been very difficult to do this with such speed with optics. If the coyote had made it back another five feet, it would have disappeared and been safe. BTW, this was Chase's first ever coyote hunt.

[​IMG]

As for the shotgun, I normally use it with Federal Premium 3" #4 buck and a super full turkey choke. That gives me a useful pattern to 50 yards. However, distances are so short in the above area that I switched to a full choke, and even a mod might have been more suitable.

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Chango-
    A lot of people use tree stands to hunt coyotes.

Suburbian coyote hunters-
    Foxpro has some canine puppy distress and kitten distress calls in there inventory. Obviously, you need a Foxpro game caller to play the sounds. Those domestic sounds work real good on the coyotes that like to eat dogs and cats.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like a fudd to me. Ya know for a mighty coyote hunter you got very few coyotes in the bag.

17. Brian in Oregon

wolfram, quote: <i>"Looks like a fudd to me. Ya know for a mighty coyote hunter you got very few coyotes in the bag.</i>

I don't usually post (brag) about our coyote hunts unless I have pics, and I don't have a compact digital camera of my own. Need to rectify that to take hunting pics.

Also, I'm trying to get the boys coyotes, and experience hunting them. I've shot plenty of coyotes for myself. So I'm doing the calling for the boys. And yes, lately we don't have a lot of coyotes "in the bag". Even when coyotes show up, not every hunt is successful as the boys learn the ropes. I'm averaging a coyote called in every other hunting trip. Getting the boys to actually hit it is a different matter.

As for looking like Fudds, you'd not think so when we hunt wearing ghillie suits and carrying AR15s. And I don't think we look "Fuddish" in the above pics.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Guys wearing Ghillie suits carrying ARs are known as 'Dudes' around here.

The guys that kill most of the coyotes wear tan Carhartt bibs with a few layers of shirts and some kind of stained ball cap. In real cold weather , some of them even put on their "Fudd' hats AKA 'Stormy Kromers'. They probably do have an unfair scent advantage though, generally they all have a liberal dose of corral #5 on their boots and bibs.

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Brian,

Please post the results of the "patrol ambush", once you and your son/s have an opportunity to set up for them that way. I am interested to hear the outcome.

John E.

20. Brian in Oregon

wolfram quote: <i>"Guys wearing Ghillie suits carrying ARs are known as 'Dudes' around here.

The guys that kill most of the coyotes wear tan Carhartt bibs with a few layers of shirts and some kind of stained ball cap. In real cold weather , some of them even put on their "Fudd' hats AKA 'Stormy Kromers'. They probably do have an unfair scent advantage though, generally they all have a liberal dose of corral #5 on their boots and bibs.</i><br>

Well, I've certainly killed coyotes while wearing blue jeans, cowboy boots, a buckskin jacket and a cowboy hat, armed with a Browning 1885 Single Shot in .223 or its brother in 22-250. Works quite well for the young, dumb coyotes, and desperately hungry ones.

Heck, Gerry Blair, author of "Predator Calling", successfully hunted coyotes wearing a Santa suit just to prove the point. (Of course, with their dichromatic vision, it can be argued that the coyotes saw the suit as a shade of tan instead of red.)

What non-camo doesn't work so well on are the educated coyotes, the wise ones who know the tricks. You need to use all your tricks to get them in closer, especially when you have less experienced hunters under your wing.

Even more important than clothing, above all else, is lack of movement. Coyotes up close will spot the slightest movement. I was working my caller. It's possible they saw very slight movement of my gloved hand.

(For those wondering what a coyote, or a dog, sees for their color spectrum, click the link. You'll see that greens appear as gray to white because of the lack of green color cones. That's why tan Carharts work well. Or in my case a buckskin jacket. Essentially they're tan camo. The worst are blue jeans.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

unsafetied