1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyote ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just took the dog for a walk. My dog became upset and I noticed a large Coyote and 2 pups in the woods. (We were walking on the road) We watched them for quite some time and then proceeded down the road. The adult coyote started to follow us staying inside the perimeter of the woods. (Approximately 50 feet away) He then came out onto the road and followed us. (Approximately 50 feet or so behind us) I was getting a little paranoid, as I knew if he became aggressive with us; my Labrador would not be much help. My question is. will they attack people?? Once we got near my house he went back into the woods. I've seen coyotes before and this one was rather large. (Almost like a small wolf). We live in a gated community in central Arkansas. Maybe I will need to start carrying my .357.. Thanks. Ed

2. esoxhunter

That sounds logical. She was probably just following us to be sure we were not going to harm her pups. Once we were a safe distance away from the pups; she then quit following us. Heck, yesterday my lab got chased back into the house by my neighbors Pekinese!! He wouldn't have been any threat that's for sure..

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Shoot the effing coyote.

4. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

In Green Valley AZ. Last year a man was cooking out in his back yard and a Coyote came over a 4 ft fence and bite him on the leg . Well that was probably better his his cooking.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a report that in Sun City West a Lady was walking her miniature somekind of dog and a Coyote grabbed it and was trying to run away with it ... The elderly lady proceeded to try and hit the Coyote with a stick or cane she was walking with and the Coyote snapped at her ... She has now written the local news papers and wants all Coyotes moved or eliminated as if that will bring her little dog back or keep her from getting snapped at again ... Personally, I think the woman should move and they should leave the Coyotes alone ... They found parts of the dog and its leash a few days later, so they should of given her a ticket for littering also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are!

Guy Babin

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I posted this pic once before. This is our Newfoundland Reg the Slege Sleggie for short , he was 12 weeks old in this pic he's now 9 months old and well over 100lbs. If you need any help with your Coyote problems I'm shure he would be glad to help you out. He charges a couple of Cuban cigars if you can get them. Domestics if you can't.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are in the territory of some urbanized coyotes. Good reason to bring a gun on your dog walks. I haven't heard of cases where otherwise healthy coyotes attack humans but attacks on small dogs and cats are common. Nothing to fear just be prepared and let your neighbors know what you saw and what you intend to do if there is a problem.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My lab would love a 'yote for dinner....she has tripled in size and weight since I brought her home...won't be long she'll be ready for saddling

10. esoxhunter

Mine weighs in at 118#. He acts like he is a Rotweiler. Puts on a good show until he is confronted. He then hides behind me and growls. I think it is best to take the .357 with me on future walks! :) Ed

11. Maumee River Rat

Maumee River Rat Member

esoxhunter:try varmintal.com and click on coyote attacks,lots of good reading.

12. JHS

JHS TS Member

I was on a farm near Williamsburg VA this week end building a duck blind. The owner had a black lab, about 100lbs, who he said tangled with a coyote and was chewed pretty severely on the left hind quarter. Vet fixed the dog up but the wounds looked nasty.

I didn't know we had coyotes this far east.

Jim

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I don't know for sure, but from the Labs I've been around, they'd be much better off by delegating Coyote discipline to a Pit Bull--or a Cajun bread Louisiana Catahoula Cur...

A Jack Russell surely has the correct attitude, but unfortunately lacks the "assets" to get the job done. Don't tell yours I said so though!

Guy B.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

esox, If you want a water dog that won't back down to a coyote, get a Drahthaar.
    Dispatching vermin fur is one of their specialties. Go to www.vdd-gna.org

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hey WPT, you got grand kids? How would you like it if they found a shoe with a foot still in it?

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I personally trapped a few in Eastern PA back in the late 70's. I also spotted one in a field returning home from the gun club last Thursday!!

17. 682b

682b Member

JHS. we do have a quite a large number of coyotes in southeastern VA. Many in the urban ones have lost a lot of their fear of humans. They find our pets easy pickings. A few years ago in Blackstone VA they thought they had mated with feral dogs. The mayor reported seeing one that was well over 100 lb. As far as I know that yote was not trapped but many were. Jim Dinwiddie county.

18. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Get a 100+ lb Oorang Airedale and put the coyotes in your are out of you mind. The Airedale will take care of them. Wiley E. coyote is too smart to get tangled up with a dog who really means business and an Airedale means business.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Due to coyotes menacing kids and killing pets, the Sherwood, Oregon police (south of Portland) have been ordered by their chief to shoot coyotes on sight, if they have a safe backstop. Naturally the ARF's are all upset about this.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

esoxhunter,

"I think it is best to take the .357 with me on future walks."

Sounds like a good idea to me.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

billerica and coyote sightings