1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COYOTE PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Recently a number of our members have seen and heard Coyotes on our hunting property where we stock Pheasant and Quail. The property is in New Jersey and trapping season for Coyotes is from Nov. 15 until March 15 and only snares can be used.

We are concerned for the safety of our birdogs. We have also engaged a trapper but he says that Coyotes move from place to place which makes them even more difficult to trap and impossible to eliminate.

My question is what is the best way to protect your birdogs while hunting? I thought I would load up some 00 buckshot loads just in case so I would have more than birdshot available.

I shoot a 20 Ga. and use 13.9 grs. of Green Dot pushing a Federal 20S1 wad with 7/8 oz. of # 8 shot. Could I simply replace the birdshot with an equal weight of 00 buckshot, assuming it will crimp properly? Would this be safe? Can I buy 00 buck loads in 20 Ga.?

Anyone have any better idea?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Simplest and best would be to go buy a couple 5 packs of #3 or #4 buck 20 gauge rounds. Also remeber that if one coyote is after your dog there are probably others nearby waiting to get in on the kill. If you see one and even if you think it is a little out of range start shooting at it. Hopefully you can get your dog in close to you and not trying to run down the single coyote.

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

COME ON MAN, I HAVE REALLY TRIED TO KEEP A LOW PROFILE LATELY..............

4. Cooter

Cooter Member

Birddogs,Snaring is the best way, if the trapper uses relaxing locks and makes sure there is no obstructions around the set,you'll be fine. Even if a dog gets in one ,he'll be like a dog on a leash,they will not fight it,they just sit down and wait.I have been snaring for 12 years and all the property I trap have gun clubs on them.I have caught one dog in 12 years(stray).

5. oz

oz Active Member

In my state it is illegal to hunt birds and be in posession of buckshot. could be used for deer jacking.

6. mike calkins

mike calkins TS Member

xp-100, 4X SCOPE. HOLSTERED, .223

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

#3 buckshot fits best in 2.75" 20's IMO. I keep rounds with buffered BB's personally on me for your situation. In 48 years of hunting I've had a coyote come after a dog of mine in my country and we've always had plenty. Have had two dogs that would hunt them however.

If you have a good trapper he should be able to resolve your issues. You might also invite predator hunters to an outing on your place. Would love to help you out if you weren't so far away.

8. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Sounds to me you need a real trapper. Most guys are stumped when it comes to coyotes and most trappers are weekend warriers. Why not let the trapper have the place Sunday afternoon to wens morning. A true blue trapper will have all his gear ready to be set, so when Sunday comes along he can get in and out in a few minutes. Coyote trapping requires alot of gear to be strung, a guy can go through 60-75 snares if you want em out in a hurry, but it's an art to put big numbers up in NJ. Can it be done sure but most don't have it.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It doesnt need to be buckshot if theres a legality concern...a healthy load of #2s will pepper a yodel dogs head...if theres more than one they are ok with cannibalizing their buddy giving you time to get your dog and yourself to a safer area

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Some jerks in our area make snares using a big treble hook with meat on it. No animal deserves that kind of death. Bill

11. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I shot a coyote in the face, twice fom about 15 feet. 12 guage, 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2's. It probably killed him. (eventually) But he ran off so fast I will never know. It didnt even knock him off his feet. Last I saw him he was 60-70 yards away going so fast I couldnt believe it. If I had known it wouldnt put him down right then and there I probably would have let him walk right by me. He never knew I was there.

Your 20 guage would probably get similar results.

12. rwtii

rwtii Member

Look on You tube for the Cut Shell video. They work.

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

3" 12 ga copper 2's will dump yodle dogs at 40+ yards. Why not get in there and call the little buggers in and dust em, besides it is a lot of fun. Just a thought.

14. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Cut Shells...? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are in fact kidding.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You shoot any dog with bird shot and they will leave what ever alone. Even if you don't kill them they will run off as fast as they can. Don't worry about chambering a load of buckshot because you will not have time to once you see one or one is attacking your dog.

16. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Cut shells work just like slugs. Worked like a charm for old timers, when real slugs for smooth bore shotguns hadnt been perfected yet. Take a knife and score the paper hull around the bottom of the shot. Half of the whole shell flies down the barrel, and down range acts just like a solid slug when it hits your deer/target. I have heard a lot of stories......some of them must be true.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hunters have cut shotshells for ages when they need a slug and don't have one. It's especially easy with plastic hulls and modern wads.

18. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Leave em alone, they dont attack dogs.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Just make up some varmint rounds with something potent for a TC contender, say 55 grain V-max bullets in 223. Have a 3-9 scope on this specialized handgun and you are in business. Or if you have one, take along a smaller .222 or .223 carbine with same round, e.g. a Mohawk Remington if you can find one. Perfect varminter walking gun.

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Stumpi24, you are so wrong! Cats are a favorite food item also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.