1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyote hunting/baiting.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cueguy2, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Okay all you old coyote hunters. I have lost just about enough of my chickens now and want some hints on luring these critters into range. There is not much wide open space here in south, central KY. Shooting will be less than 100 yds. They are coming up from a holler into my pasture. One was standing in my back yard the other day. Getting braver.. I have a 7.62 which should get the job done. What kind of call or scent? Best time of day? Scope, if so, what type? Any help is appreciated. Nubs Wagner

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

(PS - if you have any tips on restoring old P.O.S. military jeeps...that would be welcome, too).

3. TC

TC TS Member

Live chicken or two in a cage. If you can't come up with a cage you can tie out a chicken with a light cord or twine on the leg but you may lose the chicken. Early morning or evening as long as you can see your target.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Some of the guys around here leave roadkill deer in the fields and sit in tree stands at night. Did you think about putting a few bales of straw on top of your chicken coop for a blind?. You will probably scare hell out of the chickens when you shoot, but you might eliminate a few Coyotes. Larry Evans

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For Jeeps, go to http://www.g503.com/.

For coyotes that are eating chickens, a caller that plays chicken distress sounds would be the ticket.

Varmint Al has mp3 sounds free, including chicken distress.

http://varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Go to the local Wally World and get one of those little fuzzy toys with the squeaker in it that squeaks when ya mash it. Take out the squeaker and use it as a call. After a bit of practice one can come proficient with it.

All ya gotta do is kinda make a blind of some kind, or just sit real still and start blowing on the squeaker, preferably early in the morning. I have found that as soon as it is light enuf to shoot is a good time to start. Ole 'yote cant stand too much of the squeaking and is gonna have to investigate. There is your shot.

I have found that the S&W 44 punishes em real well.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

223 and a ITT night scope will do wonders. You can make a cage if you don't have one or buy one. Put it out about 75 to 100 yards should be good. Stay down wind if you can. You can also use cats. No less then two in a small cage. Why? You want them to make noise, hiss and meow and fight. That wll bring in any coyote. They love cats.

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Forgot to mention on my earlier post about a guy who sees a sign reading "free kittens" stops and takes all of them.

9. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Thanks for the info. I am leaving town for a week, but when I get back I will give it a shot. I have two cats, but if I put them in a cage for bait, my next place to sleep would be the dog house. The chicken bait would be easier and they do squawk when put in a cage. Nubs Wagner

10. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

This guys calls are about as good as it gets,,,,,

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

Is it legal to use live chickens in Texas? I use a mouth call and an e-caller with some success. My comfort zone is 300 yards with my .223 Savage 12FV. :)

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I worked for a farmer in Indiana. He would put a dead sow about 40 yards from my tree stand. I used a rear "ghost ring" sight. Don't use a scope, you will not have time to find them. They are fast, you never get a 2nd shot. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

getting a chicken to make noise when tied on for coyote hunting