1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyote/Dog Behavior

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I thought I'd pass on something I saw right accross the street from my home. To see it was the only way to believe it. However, I do think it illustrated animal adaptation and learning. I did see it, wish I had my camera:

Saw a sandy-haired German Shepard with a collar and tags running down the street. The domestic dog was followed by two youngish, healthy, and similiar in coat color coyotes. I knew they were coyotes due to their unique wolf-like or coyote-like gait.

The coyotes were not intimidated when I yelled at them. Just gave me a rather "so what" look. I later noted that the three canines came back and forth in front of my home. (2 miles, as the crow flies, on a hill, from City Hall, Los Angeles.) Then I realized, the animals were not barking, but scampering and frolicking together.

Could this illustrate, and I am guessing at one scenario: The dog was either neutered or spayed. The dog's owners set out food for their pet. The coyotes ate at the dog's home, and the dog let 'em. And for some odd circumstance involving canine communication, the three animals became friendly if not friends.

I know coyotes are smart and so adaptable. But to the point of frolicking with domestic dogs? Is a scnario like this, perhaps, how early dogs self-selected and became man's friend? The whole scene was fascinating animal behavior.

Any animal handlers/zoologists/ethologist know about that which I saw?

And no, I wasn't into any alcoholic beverage or licit or illicit drug. Just saw with my own eys what I believe was low probability, but possible, animal behavior.

Remember, I am am basically a "city boy" and I hope this question is at least interesting and hopefully not naive for one who lives or has lived in a rural area.

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

SSS all three of them. Trevor Dawe.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have heard from friends ion upstate New York that coyotes and dogs requerntly crossbreedm giving rise to the name they use - Coydogs.

4. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Dogs running with coyotes are fair game in this area.There also fair game whan a pack of dogs start chasing deer or livestock.

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes I'd too say she was in heat. You see some coyote hunters using a dog as a decoy because reguardless if a person is around they will approach close if they see another K9 whether it be to eat the dog or mate with it they are curious and smart.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Was the German Shepard yelling, shoot'em!

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Careful shooting dogs running with coyotes as there are many people who hunt coyotes using hounds to trail the coyotes. They also use dogs as "bait" to bring them in as others have stated, shooting either of these type of dogs will put you in a very bad spot.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh, this was a very urban area, but with open land close to Dodger Stadium and Elysian Park. I hear 'yotes almost every night. They are investing things. I did shoot a big sick 'yote a few years back; he was a problem around here. I suppose this was against some kind of rule etc., given that it was in Los Angeles. But the statute of limitations must be over.

The urban problem is simply: "We" are not allowed to trap, shoot, or harm the coyotes in anyway. It takes permssion for a professional trapper (whatever that is) to catch and release the coyotes. Until then, it is let 'em do their thing, which is not to nice given family pets around. Some residents even feed the coyotes out of "kindness" which is real unkind to the balance of nature in the big picture.

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The coyotes had 2 things in mind for that dog.
    Either breed it or eat it....... or maybe both.

10. white rattler

white rattler Member

Read my lips SSS Shoot Shovel and shut up. Trevor Dawe.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The area to which Chango2 is referring is just one small hill away from Griffeth Park ( a several hundred acre wilderness area) and south of Los Feliz Blvd. The area around there is full of rabbits, deer, coyotes, feral cats, feral dogs, opossums, raccoons, you name it. The the east he has the LA River and the I-5 freeway, to the west he's got downtown LA and then the Pacific. The entire area is teaming with humans and wildlife.

As to the behavior, I don't think the dog had to be in heat. I've seen dogs and young coyotes intermingle before provided the dog is of equal size to the coyotes. I've had them visit my home before too. I live in Saugus just on the fringe of the national Forrest. We gets coyotes, Lynx, deer rabbits, you name it. I had a coyote that used to set and stare through the iron fence surrounding my back yard. My youngest dog would actually try and play with it, the older dog wanted to kill it. Nothing ever happened because this particular coyotes died rather suddenly one day. Not at my hand but the wound was fatal none the less.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Good one Sti.

13. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

yoteslawer

The farms we hunt there isnt anyone hunting with dogs. Ive seen it done in the south a time or two. Ive had trouble with coon hunters trespassing they try to tell us we have to shoot the coon cause the dogs wont come to them. I idiot even said my dog cant read I told him neither could my bullet Problem solved.

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Well If the coon hunters were ethical they would come see you before going on your property. I do agree with them on one thing a good coon hound wont leave that tree for anything. Coon hunting is a tough one because its hard to ask permission at 3am. most people are not real pleased that you knocked on their door at that time of day. But I see your point, I wouldnt want trespassing on my property either.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Save the 'coons, save the 'coons while the only good 'coon is a dead one. Here in the East the dogs might traverse 5 properties before treeing. Threatening people or dogs with a gun over a stinkin' raccoon is a short leash to sharing a small cell with Bubba. Normal people are sleeping while coon dogs are working!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.